Daily sodium limit

Options
I just realized that my daily sodium limit is 2,500. Doesn't that seem a little high to anyone? Why is it so high?

Replies

• jack1925
    jack1925 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 1500mg/ day. You can change yours. Just to go the "My Home" tab, then "Goals", then to "Change Goals."
  • skm94080
    skm94080 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • ericcumbee
    ericcumbee Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was reading yesterday that the CDC has said that Salt does not have as big of an effect when it comes to heart Disease and high blood pressure. People that ate more 7,000mg of sodium per day and those that ate under 2000mg of sodium, were more likely to die than those inbetween. also new research says that under 2300mg might not be good for you
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57584444/institute-of-medicine-lowering-daily-sodium-intake-below-2300-milligrams-may-do-more-harm-than-good/

http://kfor.com/2013/07/09/cdc-admits-long-standing-error-there-is-no-benefit-in-reducing-salt/

I am personally keeping mine at 2500 but I do not feel so bad when i hit 3000 some days.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I hit anywhere from 1,000-10,000 mg a day... Why are you worrying about salt? Salt has no calories! :D
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have never changed my settings but I aim to keep it at 1500 a day and try not to go over that. I have finally been able to go off my blood pressure meds after being told I would never get off of it for the rest of my life. I have been able to do this with weight loss, controlling my sodium, and exercise.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Only those people who have high blood pressure or are at risk for heart disease need to limit their salt intake.

For the rest of us, it's more dangerous to NOT get enough salt than to get too much. I never come close to the salt limit, which worries me.... gonna start added salt to stuff.
  • DoctorCheeba
    Options
    Like everyone else said, sodium doesn't matter and doesn't really need to be tracked unless you have high blood pressure or other related health issues. There is salt in everything, it has no calories and your body needs it. Just don't go overboard on purpose but eating too little salt is actually worse and will give you headaches and other negative effects... I've had the misfortune of suffering from low sodium effects from a past diet... Before I had the knowledge.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    no that does not seem high at all
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I get like 6000 or so. I don't like things super salty
  • londonfeebs
    londonfeebs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I never get near my sodium level per day, should I add salt to things to get up to the level? I wasnt consciously eating low salt, just eating healthy and very little processed food. I was astounded at how low my daily amount was. Im a bit concerned after seeing some of the comments on here!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Focus your energy on calories and macronutrients. If you get your caloric intake and macro's perfected then maybe you could consider tracking your salt as well. But salt intake is not anywhere near as important as body composition.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I never get near my sodium level per day, should I add salt to things to get up to the level? I wasnt consciously eating low salt, just eating healthy and very little processed food. I was astounded at how low my daily amount was. Im a bit concerned after seeing some of the comments on here!

No. The study previously quoted was observational, and therefore you can't draw conclusions on causality from it. The results are may be due to the fact that many of the people eating very low salt were doing so because they had been diagnosed with HTN, heart dz, etc.
  • londonfeebs
    londonfeebs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • ArtLover26207
    Options
    Personally I keep mine at 1500 because I find that if I eat 2500 or more I retain a lot of water and that is not good for me since I am already on a baby dose of a diuretic for blood pressure. It is personal choice, but I think that 2500mg is the daily recommended based on a 2000 calorie diet.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about salt intake unless you have specific health issued related to salt consumption. I keep mine at 2500 and don't worry when it goes over.

However, I do try to drink even more water on days when I go over or eat something particularly salty. Pork chops, canned soup and v8 are all things I eat regularly that have high amounts of sodium and hot dogs occasionally in the summer. I find if I don't drink a lot of water after eating those things, I retain a lot of water and have gained quite a bit of water weight by the next day. That can discourage me on the scale when I see a couple extra pounds on there, as well as make me feel bloated and yucky. If I bombard myself with water though, this doesn't happen.