Decent results with home workouts?

Options
13»

Replies

• momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I walk briskly (15 minute mile) 10-12 miles a week, in 2 mile/day increments. I also do Mark Lauren's book-Body By You strength training program and it's crazy the difference this has made! I have definition in my back/shoulders, my butt is firmer, my calves are tighter (probably from the walking), my stomach has definition and I no longer have the 'chicken wing' flap under my arms :D I love that the program is only 30 minutes a time/3 days a week and requires no extra equipment. He also has a program geared towards guys, in his book You Are Your Own Gym. Lauren is very well respected in the body building community and he puts together the fitness programs for special forces (Navy Seals, Green Berets etc). This guy knows his stuff!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    You can always use your own body weight as a 'weight' for resistance.

I do a lot of at home workouts and mainly did them without too much running and managed to slim down from about 214 to 128 in just over a year but not with high muscle definition. I did what it took to lose weight but not gain muscle back then.

However now I do incorporate weights when I can (3, 5, 8 and 10 lb dumbbells) and usually do exercises that use body weight or repetitive motion, I do run but haven't had a lot of it this year and do zumba using kinect (X360) and have had much better results when it comes to muscles this time around.

Something else I can suggest is to do the Jillian Michaels and Beach Body Videos or really any other work out videos like that, they require minimal equipment and they get real results! You just need to keep motivated to keep at them everyday.

Good luck!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I only workout at home. Feel free to take a look at my pics.

I started out with light hand weights, resistance tubes and walking at the park.

Now, I lift heavy at home (dumbbells and kettlebells), run miles at the park and cycle.
    I also do lots of body weight circuits. Some that I've come up with myself and some that I've found that I like.

youtube.com and bodyrock.tv are great places to go to find body weight exercise routines and ideas.

Also, you might want to look into investing in a pull up bar. Even if you can't do a pull up yet.
    Assisted pull ups are awesome for arms and back.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I am almost done with Insanity (3 days left) so I haven't taken my final pics yet, but here is a link to my day 1 & day 30 results. I've also started running again since getting into Phase 2.

4/7 started at 220.1
    5/3 I was at about 210.4

Lost 21" all over my body from several measuring points (not just my hips, waist, and chest). I don't want give away my weight now as I still have a few days but it's gonna be good! You can get great workouts at home if you give it all you have with what is available to work with. :)

• branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm too self conscious at this point to step foot in a gym. I have a recumbant bike at home and exercise DVD's.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I too lost all my weight with home workouts. I'm kind of a video game person so I used EA Sports Active 2 and Your Shape Fitness Evolved (both the original and 2012) as well as a stationary bike. I started working out at home because it was easier to motivate myself to work out if all I had to do was go to the TV room rather than drive across town.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You might find this interesting:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1011126-limited-time-to-workout-check-this-out

My primary exercise is running. Not exactly a home workout, but you said you were considering alternatives to a gym membership and that you used to run. It will not help you build/tone muscles. It will burn calories about as well as anything else.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    <===== Works out from home. Had great success!
  • thistimesucess
    thistimesucess Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a free gym membership through work but hardly ever use it. I use a variety of walking/running and JM workout videos. I like variety so am often doing something different each week. I tend to mix up JM videos depending on the type of workout I want on that day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym so I can workout when the kids are home and use the treadmill when it's nasty out (which is pretty often, to be honest). I still do half of it at home when they are in bed (les Mills pump).
  • sealevels
    sealevels Posts: 123
    Options
    I have never had a gym membership. I'm a yo-yo dieter, but each time I've lost weight it's been through home workouts and eating right.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've had a better results at home, doing p90x and Shaun T. I would like the gym, but its better at home
  • luvmylabz
    luvmylabz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HisKathy
    HisKathy Posts: 34
    Options
    I love my Turbo Fire. I just wish it came with a babysitter because both my kids have gotten near round-house kicks to the face :-P
    I've lost SEVERAL inches in the just first month and there are enough different workouts that you don't get bored and Chalene is so much better than Jillian
  • karabasik
    karabasik Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Since April I've lost 24 (and still counting) pounds running, using Fitness Blender on YouTube, taking a yoga class once or twice a week and counting everything I eat on the MFP app. Haven't been to the gym once. I do have a treadmill in my garage which is really helpful, but I run outside also. Running + diet is a magical combo.
  • Dinibeanie333
    Options
    I only do workouts at home. Right now I am riding my recumbant bike because I have been getting pains in my knee. I have done workout DVDs for years at home and have a very large collection. Cathe is my favorite. I have other instructors but I tend to grab for Cathe much more. She is not easy though but I like everything about her workouts. I also lost weight and toned up. Life got in the way and I am back trying again but miss my Cathe workouts.
  • daisiecpa
    daisiecpa Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump to read later for ideas