New Running Shoes

Options
So I want to invest in new running shoes. Unfortunately the sporting goods store around me doesn't really have very knowledagble associates / their selection kind of sucks. I'm hoping to get some advice from y'all.

Anyway, I have flat feet, I'm a moderate overpronator and I'm overweight. I've been thinking about getting the Mizuno Wave Inspire 6 but I'm about to drop close to $100 so I'm hoping to get some more advice before purchasing. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Rosaline, I don't know anything about the shoes you mentioned. I do have the Sketcher's shape ups and those are okay for walking - however I did have foot cramps in my left foot every time I wore them (it usually started at about 1 1/2 miles). I bought the Easy tones, too (again just for walking) and they slipped on my heal. I'm now using the AVIA's and like them - they are light weight, and i can use them for running/walking. Definitely do some research before you buy and maybe drive a little further to find a knowledgeable sales clerk who can help.

Vickie
  • BrittSwimsJDRF
    BrittSwimsJDRF Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi. I would google to see if you have a "running" store in your area. That's what I did, and they watched me walk bare-footed, then they had me run in 3 or 4 shoes before I picked out the pair I liked best. I purchased the Asics Gel for about $89.99, and I put about 20 - 30 miles on them a week. My knees and feet have less pain, and I also learned I need to buy a size larger for running longer distances. I hope this helps.
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    try runningshoes.com ...I usually have to order from them because I wear size 11 and most women's shoe stores don't carry above 10
  • ritagr
    ritagr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try roadrunnersports.com They have something called "road dog" where you answer some questions about foot type, body type etc and then they recommend a shoe. Also, if you call them, they have very helpful and knowledgeable people. Prices are good too. Good luck!
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Everybody's feet are different, but I am also an overpronator (and have a right knee with as much arthritis as a 65 year old ~ I am only 41) and the running store recommended Saucony for me. I am in the 150's now, but even in the upper 160's they gave me great support.
  • vdub88
    Options
    after picking up running and being overweight i had some foot issues. The only thing that works for me because i have a wide foot and need stability is New Balance. I have to order the ones I need. There is a website nbannapolis for people with foot problems looking for a shoe. I ordered my first pair here for about 100 and then once I learned what # series I needed i looked elsewhere online for a cheaper price. New balance runs a series of shoes for exampler 1200's mihgt be for people who need stability and over pronate. 700's may be more for cushion, 600's etc - each series is something different. I had to learn but now I know what series works for me and I stick to them.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    i've been wanting to get the nike lunarglide+ I don't have them yet, but just a suggestion, they are very light weight and look awesome!
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Check out Nike's website... it helps you select the shoe you need... then you can either go buy a pair from a local outlet or online... :drinker:
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Check to see if you have a Fleet Feet near you - even if you have to drive 50 miles it will be worth it. They will measure you, see how you walk, and have you test out a few shoes -- (really run in them vs walking around the store) -- they will also show you how to properly lace your shoes based on your pronation.

Personally, I am an asics fan and have been for almost 20 years - everytime I buy something else I am disappointed. Do you plan to do all of your running on a treadmill, city-town streets/sidewalks, or cross country? I mix mine up so I have several pair so that I can alternate.

Hope that helps and good luck
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you are a runner or just starting out, you should be changing into new running shoes every 100 miles. Depending on how often you run, this could mean a new running shoe purchase every few months which could get costly if you are buying from any of the specialty running shoe stores. Shoes break down and can cause back and knee injuries if they are worn badly. I've been running for 19 years and found that trying on the shoes and seeing how they feel is the best bet. I've been to RoadRunner and walked out with $100+ shoes that were especially for me and was damned if I was going to continue spending that amount every 3 months. I go to Big 5, Mervyn's, or Kohl's (all located in So. Cali). I'm sure they have the equivalent to any of those low to moderate budget type stores and sport stores in most areas. They all carry New Balance, Asics, Saucony (spelling? I have them now and paid $40 at Big 5), Adidas, Nike, etc. Basicly the good shoes. With experience I found that certain brands work better for my wide slightly flat fleet and I stick to those. But I never pay more than $45 for a pair of running shoes. I'm running my fourth half-marathon this November! BUT, most importantly, is to buy a pair of shoes that will motivate you to get out and about no matter what the cost! So if you feel that only a $100+ pair of shoes can get you motivated to start a steady running schedule, then "just do it"!
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I went to my local "running" store and they were awesome. I got a pair of Brooks and they have worked well for me. I have no arch and when I got them I had close to 90lbs to lose. They have been awesome. They are mens too since I have wide feet.

For arch support make sure your shoes have a removeable insole and get some extra arches (I got super feet brand). Its a way to add the support you need to any shoe.
  • jill07
    jill07 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ the others- if there is a running store w/ staff that can help you get fitted that would be best. When I got my first pair of good running shoes a few years ago it was w/ the help of a knowledgeable sales person who spend some time w/ me. I did wear new balance for a few years since that was the brand I started with. I tried a pair of Asics but then switched to Mizunos -I am on my 4th pair and they are my favorite. I currently wear Wave Creation 10. They usually run $135 in the stores but I just ordered a pair from Amazon for $75 ( I think because the style is about to be discontinued). I hope this helps! Good Luck!
  • rosaline1191
    rosaline1191 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to end up looking for a good sports store out of town. I know someone suggested Fleet Feet, I've actually heard good things about them but they don't have a store in-state or in a 50mi radius.
  • fitnessfille
    Options
    I definitely agree with the post about checking out a fleetfeet. I work at fleetfeet and first hand know how much training and effort goes into selecting the right shoe for your needs and goals. roadrunnersports.com is ok, however, they are not truly analyzing the bare foot in motion. Pronation can vary and change throughout the gait cycle, so unless you have someone watching you perform the appropriate actions in the shoes, you may not know for sure.

The mizuno inspire is a shoe that is good for someone who has VERY slight pronation -- due to mizuno only coming in one width, if you have a wider forefoot or heel, the shoe will pinch and feel uncomfortable. Typically, the mizuno inspire is not ideal for the heavier runnier due to its minimilistic technology -- it is naturally lighter than other brands and has less cushion. However, if you do decide that you would like to go with that shoe, it does tend to run a 1/2 size short.

Hope that this helps!

-B