How do you eat sweet potatoes?

Options

Replies

• marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato salad! I loved this recipe. I used more sweet potato and less mayo

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/40-a-day/sweet-potato-salad-recipe/index.html
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Baked whole with butter, sliced into fries or chips with salt pepper and paprika, or made into hash by dicing with a sweet onion drizzled in melted butter and sprinkled with rosemary. So many ways to enjoy a sweet potato. :)
  • lafochs
    lafochs Posts: 21
    Options
    Baked/microwave potato. Sprinkle with cheese, melt. Top with black bean and corn salsa...amazing!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Oven roasted with garlic chive butter; mashed sweet potatoes with a dollop of crystallized ginger spread or brown sugar or pumpkin-praline butter; sweet potatoes and sliced fennel with herbs and roasted red peppers; oven-roasted sweet potato slices with medium-hot curry and coarse ground black pepper.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Oven baked and then cut it open to put crunchy peanut butter! when peanut butter starts melting tastes so good

OMG. I have to try this!
  • pbrahan
    pbrahan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like to cut them into fries, toss in coconut oil, spread out in an even layer on a foil lined pan, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and broil until lightly browned. turn and brown the other side. DELISH
  • Sprinkelss
    Sprinkelss Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Cook low sodium bacon, microwave sweet potato on potato setting, put a little butter and top with bacon...boom. Thats my breakfast every morning :)

Im allergic, but just microwave and put garlic powder, cinnamon and a little butter is also tasty!
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Steamed in a dutch oven with a little heavy cream and a little butter then mashed topped with sliced pecans or almonds and then baked till the almond/pecan slivers brown a bit to bring out more flavor.

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, thinly sliced
    3 tablespoons heavy cream
    1 teaspoon sugar
    2 pounds sweet potatoes (2 large or 3 medium), peeled, cubed.

Combine butter, 2 tablespoons cream, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, sugar, and sweet potatoes in large saucepan. Cooked, covered, over low heat until potatoes are fall-apart tender, 35-40 minutes.

Off heat, add remaining tablespoon cream and mash sweet potatoes with potato masher. Serve
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I like to cut them into fries, toss in coconut oil, spread out in an even layer on a foil lined pan, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and broil until lightly browned. turn and brown the other side. DELISH

this is very tasty! I def agree with that!
  • jmom376
    jmom376 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the great ideas.

I just had a sweet potato with dinner. I microwaved it, cut it up, put a dab of butter on it, and then sprinkled with pumpkin pie spice. It was so good and tasted like a decadent treat for less than 200 calories. :)
  • ElikaCousland
    ElikaCousland Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Either roasted or baked, topped with black beans, salsa, cottage cheese, some diced chicken if I have it, and avocado. Full of nutrition and super tasty.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I've added them into a black bean and veggie chili before or wrap them in foil and bake. Then I either top them with black beans, tomatoes, corn, and cumin/chile powder or a sprinkle of cinnamon if I want "sweet".
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • mi2ak2co
    mi2ak2co Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    YumEither with lime juice and cinnamon or sliced and baked as fries (a little olive oil and seasonings/herbs)
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Oven baked and then cut it open to put crunchy peanut butter! when peanut butter starts melting tastes so good

OMG that sounds sooo delish :love: :love: :love:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    to turn a sweet potato into lunch, serve it alongside some meat like chicken, fish, pork, etc
  • AnnieBear80
    AnnieBear80 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in the microwave and then top with low fat greek yoghurt and a little cheese, salt and pepper. I also eat them in soups, mashed or cut them up and spray with oil, to make oven chips (fries).
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    As a side, baked, salted and sometimes butter, dollop of greek yogurt and a tbsp of parmesan. Chives and bacon if I'm feeling frisky. You can do a twice baked version with the same ingredients.

As a meal, I stuff them with pulled pork, chicken or beef and top pretty much the same as above.
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    unwillingly! :laugh:
  • jbs2travel
    jbs2travel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I bake mine and then put cinnamon on them. Yummy