Swimming for exercise

Options
asbandr
asbandr Posts: 39 Member
Are there any swimmers out there? I used to be a runner, but after injuring my knee (having surgery next month) I've started swimming. It's really been the only thing I can do and I enjoy it, though I look like a drunk dolphin when I swim. I've never taken swimming lessons and can't swim underwater, but seem to be getting a decent workout by swimming above water. As I'm starting I'm spending about 30 minutes a minimum of 3 days a week at the pool and hope to increase it as I progress. My question is this: I know swimming is good for you, but has anyone seen alot of physical changes by predominately swimming? And how long did it take to start seeing changes and what did you notice first?

Replies

• ThePageStaysBlank
    Options
    I'm really curious about this too. I've always been active in water sports (skiing, wake boarding, etc.) but lately I've been wishing I could get into swimming laps. I always hear about how it's great exercise but I don't know many people who are active in it.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    In terms of physical changes you would see it at the same rate as running, so nothing big really fast but more of a gradual change. You do feel it in the muscles though as you get in the groove. Cardio-wise it is GREAT! Also helps a bit with breathing rhythm for those who are runners...Doesn't mimmick it by any means (you're supposed to breathe out and not hold your breath but not very many do so and hold it in until they need more air) but it does help train your body for breathign control for when you are able to go back to running.

Fellow runner here and I had to swim for a few months when I injured my knee 5 different ways from a fall while cuyrling at an out-of-town spiel, and along with weights it serves as good cross-training!

Message me if you want any help on technique, etc.
  • nickiebb
    nickiebb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm a swimmer. Right now I swim 3 or 4 days a week for about 45-60 minutes. It is hard for me to answer your question though in regards to change in physique because I've been swimming pretty much all my life. So, I definitely have a swimmer's physique...broad shoulders, strong arms, back, and solid, strong legs. Unfortunately (my own fault) I also have about 15 extra pounds on me. In terms of getting an idea of what swimming will do to you check out the regular swimmers around you. You'll notice they do have different body types (or maybe it's different developed muscle groups) than runners. Full disclosure: I have been known to say that when I want to lose a few pounds, I run. It's harder for me to do that nowadays too though due to injuries over time.

Having said all the above, right now I am training for an ocean swim (Alcatraz to Aquatic Park in San Francisco). So I am trying to increase my yardage. I do notice my arms looking a lot stronger as well as my waist getting a bit more defined. Hmm...

Also, when I was younger I lifeguarded and taught swimming lessons. So, don't hesitate to sign up for adult swimming lessons! You could gain a lot of technique and endurance. Or, if you are beyond swimming lessons level, sign up for your local Masters swim program. Don't be intimidated by the name. It simply means 18 years and up. You'd get a lot of stroke techniquefrom a coach.

I'm not a swimming expert, but don't hesitate to message me with a question.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yes I live in Hot Hot Hot Florida. You may benefit from this you tube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaE7Q1fmzAo Great work out for runners looking to recover from injury or just to rest the joints but it is a great burn.

Patsy
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming recently. I'm not really built for it, and it's hard for me to do it fast enough to get more than moderate cardio, but I like the fact that it works my upper body, and works my lower body and torso in a very different way from other things that I do.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I have been swimming for exercise. I am not a strong swimmer but I can make it from one end of the pool to the other before needing to stop and rest.

I've noticed my breasts seem to be a bit fuller - I think it's the chest muscles developing that is making my breasts appear fuller.

I have also noticed a little muscle tone developing in my upper arms.

I love swimming. It doesn't feel like exercise when you're doing something you enjoy doing.

If you aren't much of a swimmer try doing exercises in the water - I see people walk, jog, do jumping jacks, etc in the water everyday at the pool. Don't discount water aerobics, you can get a good work out in the water and not swim at all. Check to see if your local pool has water aerobic classes and go check one out.
  • celianikolaidi
    Options
    I have been swimming for only a week now, twice a day, two hours in total.
    My calves slimmed down and strenghtened. My arms and my legs have gained muscle mass.
    Swimming is a great exercise! You should do it!
  • asbandr
    asbandr Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the encouraging responses. I've gone swimming 3 times this week and really am enjoying it. I feel stronger already. I don't have that much weight to lose, maybe 10 lbs, but really hoping this will help get rid of that and tone me up a bit at the same time. So how does it work your abs? That's one thing I don't feel much of a burn in... And this is a stupid question, but I've never been able to go under water without holding my nose, how can I train myself to go under (like a normal person!)? I know I could take adult lessons, but I am a bit self conscious about that, plus it's not really in the funds right now.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I've been on here for about a month.... Other than cycling I've been swimming 3-4 times per week and each time I try to do a minimum of 45 lengths in a 25mtre pool....I've noticed in such a short time that I can get another 10 lengths in within the hour (and this is at a reasonably steady pace/ breaststroke)..... The first couple of weeks I didn't really notice much however the last couple of weeks I've lost about 3 inch off my waist and another inch off my hips, and the weights starting to come off at a good pace....so overall I'm really pleased. Hope that helps :)
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I went swimming 3 days this week for about an hour each time (longer really, but that's what I logged because I wasn't active the whole time since trying to teach my 6 year old daughter to swim without floaties).... I am down 3 pounds this week!

I don't like to swim above water though. I wear eye covering goggles because I can't open my eyes underwater and I come up for air and go back down. I keep my core tight while I swim. I have my kids throw the dive toys in and we see who can get the most the fastest. It's a workout. Even my 6 year old loves to dive for the toys... in the shallow end of course.

On the breathing part....
    It just takes practice. My 11 year old son and 6 year old daughter still can't do it so they wear those swim masks that cover their eyes AND nose.
    I have been trying to teach my son how by having him, with his mask on, watch how I do it. You have to NOT breath through your nose and push air out from your mouth every so often. I think just the act of holding your breath is a workout!!

Keep working at it and you'll get it!! :flowerforyou:
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good cardio and total body if you use your kick not just relying on arms. Remember to use kick board for a few laps at least to get good workout on legs You should kick on stomach and back. When you aree on back it works the quad more hamstring on front. To add abs while kicking extend your arms out straight. also to change it up face in with kick board and one arm at a time works abs more Remember just like running some sprints are benificial
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the encouraging responses. I've gone swimming 3 times this week and really am enjoying it. I feel stronger already. I don't have that much weight to lose, maybe 10 lbs, but really hoping this will help get rid of that and tone me up a bit at the same time. So how does it work your abs? That's one thing I don't feel much of a burn in... And this is a stupid question, but I've never been able to go under water without holding my nose, how can I train myself to go under (like a normal person!)? I know I could take adult lessons, but I am a bit self conscious about that, plus it's not really in the funds right now.
  • zoey116
    zoey116 Posts: 75
    Options
    I can't really answer your question about physique changes since I have only just started swimming again myself. I used to teach lessons and lifeguard but I haven't been in the water in about 18 months or so. As for dealing with water up your nose, try blowing bubbles out your nose while your face is in the water. When swimming competitively your supposed to breath out through your nose while your face is in the water and in through your mouth once your face is back out of the water. Sometimes adults who are not used to doing this find it hard. If so as funny as this sounds, hum. When you hum it causes air (& therefore bubbles) to come out of your nose. If air is going out, water cannot go in. :smile: As others have said, I am not an expert but I am a certified swimming teacher (AKA Water Safety Instructor) so feel free to message me with any questions.

:flowerforyou:
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Drunk dolphin is a good starting point. I asked a swimming friend of mine for some tips and on my first outing he said I looked like "a tasered yak on ice" - man, I wish I was making that up.

Swimming is like anything else, it helps with overall fitness but nutrition is the key to weight loss. With that in mind, my shoulders are filling out.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    After recently having a hip issue from running, I've gone back to swimming laps to get in my cardio workouts. I've always loved swimming, and it's great non-impact cardio workout. I'm not sure that it will change my physique all that much -- I still need to do toning exercises to firm up, but it helps with burning a ton of calories in about the same amount of time as running. I've also been doing some water jogging, which also burns alot of calories and you don't have to "swim" to do it!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Following...
  • _NautiBuoy_
    _NautiBuoy_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ahhh yes water is my life! Swim, snorkel, scuba, I AM NAUTI!
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Due to having bone-on-bone knees, I find it difficult to do land exercises. Walking, elliptical, etc is painful for me. I am able to tolerate the recumbent bike, but that's about it. I signed up for a water aerobics class, through the YMCA, and I am loving it! I go 3 days a week, for 50 mins. each time. It's a great workout, and we do a mixture of stretching, cardio, and core exercises. I really feel like I have worked out when class is over. Often I will stay in the pool and swim laps after class. I love the breathing rhythm, It gives me almost a zen-like sensation, and I feel totally relaxed when I am done. I should add that a year ago, I could hardly walk let alone exercise, but after losing 80 lbs and starting water aerobics, it's made a huge difference in my exercise tolerance. Physical changes, not seeing so much, but definitely notice a difference in my core, And it has gotten me out of a weight-loss stall, so I am grateful for that.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    And this is a stupid question, but I've never been able to go under water without holding my nose, how can I train myself to go under (like a normal person!)?

Wear noseplugs. :smile: I've worn them since I was very little - every time I go in a pool and get even a little bit of water up my nose, I get a sinus infection....happened when I was 5, still happens now when I'm 36. I pretty much never get in a pool without them (and on the off chance, I do, it's because I'm doing nothing more than floating in the sun. :tongue:

I'm pretty sure it's the chlorine that is the issue, but having worn noseplugs for 30 years, I can't stand the sensation of water going up my nose, so I even wear them for open water swims (for my triathlons/practices)...and truth be told, you don't really know what's in that lake water, so it's probably safer to not inhale any of it. LOL :laugh:

These are the ones that I use...I've never had an issue with them coming off in the water (this pair does NOT float - some do, but they're much more noticeable than these):
    3951-2T.jpg

I also wear goggles and a brightly colored swim cap whenever I'm doing laps or open water swimming (the goggles to prevent eye irritation and for sighting during open water swimming....and the swim cap to keep my hair contained/somewhat dry-ish and for safety so people can see me when I'm in open water).

I hope that helps some :smile:
  • Going4Great
    Options
    I'm not big on swimming, but realized that I had been in my own pool maybe twice in the last 12 months. Such a waste! Saw the following link and bought me a noodle!

When I come home "soaked" from the gym, I now jump in the pool and keep moving for another 20 minutes or so using these exercises.

Very refreshing!

http://www.self.com/fitness/workouts/2010/08/get-toned-in-the-pool-slideshow#slide=7