extra exercise no loss?

Options
Just wondering what has happened to my weight loss lately. I recently went on a scuba diving holiday. I did 19 dives in 7 days which is much more exercise than normal. While I did eat a little less carefully than at home I did not stray too far from sensible eating. Each of these dives was within a few minutes either side of 60mins. On average we did 3 dives a day.
When I got home I was 1kg heavier than when I left. Now 2 weeks later I am 2 kg heavier than when I left. Since I have been home I have been back into routine with food.

I can't understand what has happened to cause this gain. Yes I know I probably underestimated food intake while on holidays but not by enough to counter the huge calorie burns diving 3 hours a day should have created.

Posted this before but it was in someone else's stream so am moving it.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    2 kgs of weight from over eating 2 weeks ago doesn't suddenly appear. Something else is going on.
  • renroc57
    renroc57 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thats what I think but can't work out what. But my main question is why did I NOT loose weight with all the additional exercise.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Retaining water maybe? (and, no, I don't mean from the diving!) :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    because of the food. like you said, you weren't strict on the intake.

and don't sweat it. it's four kilos. you'll work it all off in a week.
  • renroc57
    Options

Hi there, not sweating it. AND it was only 2kg ;-) Already .5 has gone.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Hi there, not sweating it. AND it was only 2kg ;-) Already .5 has gone.

If you're not sweating it why did you ask then?

Edit: Just re-read your post. You said you were just wondering. Gotcha.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you think you burn on the average dive? From what I've observed, it's not that strenuous.
    But I've never tried it.
  • renroc57
    Options
    How many calories do you think you burn on the average dive? From what I've observed, it's not that strenuous.
    But I've never tried it.

Been using the calories burnt when I entered 60min scuba in the MFP exercise option. 488 for a 60min dive is what they say.
    Where can I get a more accurate guide?
  • renroc57
    Options
    Just read the bit about eating exercise calories back. Maybe that is the problem. I wasn't eating enough and my body thought it was starving so put some away for emergencies.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    thats what I think but can't work out what. But my main question is why did I NOT loose weight with all the additional exercise.

Were you still eating at a deficit, it doesn't matter how much exercise a person does, if they are not eating at a deficit, weightloss will not happen.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Also, the mfp calories are WAY OFF for this. I know the amount of work I need to do to burn 488 calories in an hour, and and hour of diving doesn't come CLOSE to that level of work. The only place where I could see a case being made for 488 cal/hr is if you were doing beach entries off malibu and had to carry kit down the cliff side and then do a rock shore entry with a swim out to the shelf, then sure 488/hr. But my guess is that given you were on vacation, this was probably a pretty easy boat entry over a pretty dive location with very little swim out to the dive spot and little to no current to swim against. At most I would count half of those calories, maybe a little more if you were in cold water as your body was burning more to keep your core temp up during the dive.
  • KaleYeah
    KaleYeah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think when it estimates 400 calories burned from exercise is misleading. You didn't burn an extra 400 calories on top of what you normally burn at rest. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body soaked up some water from scuba diving, kinda like how you get heavier after taking a shower.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Doesn't swimming work your arms? Perhaps you did so much intense swimming/scuba diving, that you have built up some lean muscle?
  • halfpint002
    Options
    Doesn't swimming work your arms? Perhaps you did so much intense swimming/scuba diving, that you have built up some lean muscle?
    I thought maybe the same?
  • renroc57
    Options
    I thought maybe the same?

Scuba doesn't use arms but it does use legs. The gear is heavy to carry into the water but we were not walking too far with it. Water was 29c (Bali) Although you are not using your arms you are pushing greater bulk through the water than when swimming because you have a bouyancy vest, a tank and camera (well I had a camera) which all increase resistance.
    It is tiring but I wouldn't think it would burn much more calories than swimming.

I suspect that I wasn't actually eating enough to compensate for the increased exercise to normal. I normally do 2 hours diving a week not 19!
    Anyway it isn't really important I was just wondering what others thought.
  • renroc57
    Options
    Also, the mfp calories are WAY OFF for this. I know the amount of work I need to do to burn 488 calories in an hour, and and hour of diving doesn't come CLOSE to that level of work. The only place where I could see a case being made for 488 cal/hr is if you were doing beach entries off malibu and had to carry kit down the cliff side and then do a rock shore entry with a swim out to the shelf, then sure 488/hr. But my guess is that given you were on vacation, this was probably a pretty easy boat entry over a pretty dive location with very little swim out to the dive spot and little to no current to swim against. At most I would count half of those calories, maybe a little more if you were in cold water as your body was burning more to keep your core temp up during the dive.

I thought the same as well and have checked in a few different places. All give roughly the same calorie burn.. The one below is 490 calories based on 70kg weight

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-burned-skindiving-a530

This one gives 393 calories which would give me probably 300 calories less per 3 dives than MFP (so that could be the difference)
    http://www.mydr.com.au/tools/calories-burned-calculator
  • hmoffatt
    hmoffatt Posts: 51
    Options
    I think 400+ calories for an hour's dive is way too much. If you were working that hard you'd have used all your air much quicker than that. Generally you want to make it as LEAST strenuous as possible to preserve your air (and minimise DCS risk).

Diving (especially in cold water) makes me dehydrated and cold, both of which leads to eating too much after the dive.
  • hmoffatt
    hmoffatt Posts: 51
    Options
    I thought the same as well and have checked in a few different places. All give roughly the same calorie burn.. The one below is 490 calories based on 70kg weight

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-burned-skindiving-a530
    You weren't skin diving though, you were on scuba with neutral buoyancy or close to it. Your weight shouldn't matter while you are in the water.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Hi! I dive too and also gained 4kg on holiday. One month later back down to preholiday weight so for me it was mainly water retention. 9 hour overnight flights play havoc with my system. So 4kmg down but the coral cuts still bad! :-)

I log around 300 cals per dive as also think mfp overestimates. But I am 102kg so probably do burn up quite a bit.