Snacks while on a diet that 'fill you up'?

Options
Hi everyone! I am not a new MFP user, but just signed into community tab today for the first time. I am at a normal weight, slightly heavy, and would like to just lose about ten pounds while getting in shape more. I also would like to learn how to eat healthier, since I do feel better when I cut out on sugary snacks and such. However, I am a grazer, and a nervous eater. I eat when I'm bored, or slightly hungry. I also eat when I'm nervous,and studying. (which happens a lot since I'm in veterinary school!!). I'm mostly just looking for ideas of quick, easy snacks to eat that won't use up all my calories, but are filling. I especially have trouble eating when I'm not exactly hungry; hoping I'm not the only one with that problem!
Thank you for any help!!!

Replies

• EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Veggies are pretty guiltless.. carrots, snap peas, celery.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I love hummus and crackers, jerky, sliced turkey and cheese, bananas with nuts and nutella.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    most veggies are low in calories and will keep you full
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Apples or bananas with peanut butter!
  • R0wan
    R0wan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1300 and 1400 calories a day. For snacks I try to stick with high protein and high fiber, and try to limit the calories to about 200 for each snack. As stated above, veggies, are pretty guiltless, hummus is great, fruit with peanut butter is good too. I also tend to each plain greek yogurt with berries or other ripe fruit. Additionally, I have come to really appreciate Quest protein bars. About 20 grams protein and 20 grams fiber each. For me it's an excellent way satisfy the snackiness and feel full. Not all flavors are made equally, but there are a few good ones depending on your own personal pallette.
  • zrjp9
    zrjp9 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Edamame
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, tuna.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Carrots and hummus, fresh (or frozen) cherries, grapes, apples, dill pickles, ham and cheese roll-ups.

Also, drinking tea or chewing sugar free gum helps.
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    - Tea & hot chocolate (to cut calories go for skim/fat-free soy/almond milk)
    - Fruit (apples and berries are my personal favourites)
    - Tuna/chicken (on crackers, in a small wrap, or straight from the tin)
    - Boiled eggs (with a bit of salt/mayonnaise)
    - Greek yoghurt (tastes quite delicious with sliced banana)
    - Ice lollies (also known as popsicles)
    - Celery/carrot sticks with dip (hummus, peanut butter, and so on)
    - Dried & spiced chickpeas/broad beans (store-bought or homemade)
    - Cottage cheese (not bad with berries, I've discovered)
    - Beef jerkey (can be quite expensive though)
    - Rice crackers (with nut butters, cream cheese, avocado, etc.)

...aaaaaaand that's all I can think of at the moment. Hope it helps!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Look for snacks with protein, fat and fibre as they keep one satiated for the longest.

Peanut butter and apple
    Greek yoghurt and a banana
    Milk
    Cheese and veggies
    Nuts
    Jerky
  • ofmfrm
    ofmfrm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i just started this i eat rice cakes and peanut butter. for snacks. iam alergic to caffeen. and diabetic. so need recipes . and help to lose 100 lbs
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Oranges, edamame, blueberries, jerky, egg whites.
  • magicalpony
    magicalpony Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It definitely helps.
  • turtledrummer23
    Options
    It seems you've labeled two different problems here and maybe identifying the worse of the 2 you can get a better idea of what to eat / how to approach the situation. Is the bigger problem grazing, so eating without being hungry? Or is it you're hungry a lot so you graze? One requires snacks that are low calorie but filling, along with an acceptance that it's ok to be hungry. The other requires low calorie snacks that won't harm your overall calories but that you can eat without having to worry too much about how much, no matter how you're feeling.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My go-to snacks are carrots and peanuts.
  • hbb86
    hbb86 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Oh i need major help in this area. Its my downfall. I today had my lunch late and no snacks and as a result, ended up having FIVE crackers WITH (low) margerine - EPIC FAIL!

I need to eat every couple hours, what can i eat? something with a good amount of protein? im a polo-pescetarian (fish and chicken/turkey diet).

Thanks!!xx
  • magicalpony
    magicalpony Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think it may be a bit of both. I graze when I'm nervous, etc, but not after I've had a filling meal. Example, I started eating very healthy in the last two days and I've had almost no problem staying in my calories with only being slightly hungry at end of day. But if I eat a less filling meal, which is unavoidable sometimes, I can't get full on low cal snacks. I'll just eat and eat and still be hungry.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    psyllium husk + fruit juice + gelatin to make fiber gummies
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I try to eat things that take me awhile to eat and are low in calories. Like beef jerky. You've really got to tear a piece apart, haha.

Another good one that I love are pomegranate seeds. One pomegranate pops out a lot and they're good to just nom on when you're bored.

I also eat string cheese because I actually string it, the process takes longer than usual and I feel more satisfied.

I'm a big fan of vitatops muffins too. They are only 100 calories and filling and cure my sweet tooth.

Or cut up a bell pepper and dip that in homemade low-cal dip. I sometimes mix light sour cream with low sodium taco seasoning and mix in some bacon bits. Yum! I need to try it with greek yogurt instead of sour cream.

I snack a lot, basically.
  • 201rainbow
    201rainbow Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a fiber one chocolate chip brownie :) it's pretty good, satisfies my chocolate/sweet cravings, gives me fiber and best of all its only 90 calories! I find it very filling.

It have one every day. And if I'm hungry again then i eat oranges

Feel free to friend me!