discouraged... PCOS weight loss

Options
I have been working out (mostly weights with some cardio) and counting calories for 5 weeks now. I am down 3 pounds, and when I took measurements a week ago, a total of 7 inches.

Are these good results?? I feel like they aren't for 5 weeks. I reined in my eating habits- typical day (i generally have 2-3 "cheat" meals a week)

breakfast-
cottage cheese with berries, or eggs with zucchini

lunch: 1/2 cup brown rice, 3/4 cup ground beef, 1 cup veggie, with assorted condiment- either salad dressing to dip in, salsa, hot sauce, or teriyaki sauce

dinner: protein of some sort, grilled chicken, a veggie, and a small serving of pasta or rice.

It's been rough because work is EXTREMELY stressful, i feel like my schedule is so jam packed! I get up at 6:30 every morning, leave for work around 7, am at work from 7:30 to 5:15, 5:30, go straight from there to the gym 2-4 times a week, (i have been doing jamie eason's livefit program), go home (or rather, to my parents, for dinner) come home, do chores (i live on a ranch and have a few horses, chickens and 4 dogs), prep meals or more often than not, just collapse for the first time all day, then shower and by the time all that is done, its 10 or 11 before i get to bed.

I am a 27 year old female, I do have PCOS. I had lost 50 pounds a couple years ago- then met my man and piled it back on as happy weight! I would utlimately like to overall get in better shape for my PCOS, and general health and future fertility, and of course a wedding in a couple years. Ideally, a size 6 to fit comfortably, have muscle, be strong, and have endurance- I live in Wyoming and we love to hunt, hike, camp, etc, so to be in a lot better shape for hiking up and down mountains all day at 10,000 ft elevation would be a huge plus too!!

So what I am looking for is advice. A sample workout plan or diet I should follow, some clarification on the whole calorie thing... similar success story... I am switching to NROL4W, but will incorporate 20-30 minutes of cardio twice a week in addition to the program... is that the right track to lose WEIGHT and inches?!? I know inches mean more but considering i weight 230, i need to see that scale go down too!

thanks!

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    PCOS has a very close relationship to insulin resistants, which means eating carbs can hamper your weight loss goals. The best way to determine if your diet is right for you is through the use of a Blood Glucose meter. You want to be below 90 for 20 hours of the day and below 140 at all times within the two hours after you eat. Extremely low carb, high fat, and high protein is where you want to be. Obviously, stay away from sugar.
  • lswatson111304
    lswatson111304 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    HI, just wanted to offer hugs, I also have PCOS and we are about the same weight. I started at 230. I'm bouncing between 221 and 224 right now. Its been a month. I agree with lowering your carbs. For me this is hard, because I crave them, and honestly have trouble figuring out what to cook without rice or pasta beside the rest of the food.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have been working out (mostly weights with some cardio) and counting calories for 5 weeks now. I am down 3 pounds, and when I took measurements a week ago, a total of 7 inches.

Are these good results?? I feel like they aren't for 5 weeks. I reined in my eating habits- typical day (i generally have 2-3 "cheat" meals a week)

breakfast-
    cottage cheese with berries, or eggs with zucchini

lunch: 1/2 cup brown rice, 3/4 cup ground beef, 1 cup veggie, with assorted condiment- either salad dressing to dip in, salsa, hot sauce, or teriyaki sauce

dinner: protein of some sort, grilled chicken, a veggie, and a small serving of pasta or rice.

It's been rough because work is EXTREMELY stressful, i feel like my schedule is so jam packed! I get up at 6:30 every morning, leave for work around 7, am at work from 7:30 to 5:15, 5:30, go straight from there to the gym 2-4 times a week, (i have been doing jamie eason's livefit program), go home (or rather, to my parents, for dinner) come home, do chores (i live on a ranch and have a few horses, chickens and 4 dogs), prep meals or more often than not, just collapse for the first time all day, then shower and by the time all that is done, its 10 or 11 before i get to bed.

I am a 27 year old female, I do have PCOS. I had lost 50 pounds a couple years ago- then met my man and piled it back on as happy weight! I would utlimately like to overall get in better shape for my PCOS, and general health and future fertility, and of course a wedding in a couple years. Ideally, a size 6 to fit comfortably, have muscle, be strong, and have endurance- I live in Wyoming and we love to hunt, hike, camp, etc, so to be in a lot better shape for hiking up and down mountains all day at 10,000 ft elevation would be a huge plus too!!

So what I am looking for is advice. A sample workout plan or diet I should follow, some clarification on the whole calorie thing... similar success story... I am switching to NROL4W, but will incorporate 20-30 minutes of cardio twice a week in addition to the program... is that the right track to lose WEIGHT and inches?!? I know inches mean more but considering i weight 230, i need to see that scale go down too!

thanks!

I also have PCOS and the first thing I did when I found out is ask for a referral to an Endocrinologist just to get some initial tests done to make sure that I didn't have any hormonal issues that were causing me to hold onto weight. You really need a knowledgeable doctor to do your blood work and evaluate whether or not you have some kind of issue (like insulin resistance or pre-Diabetes) that could be affecting your ability to lose weight. If that is the case, there are medications that the doctor may suggest that can help (I'm thinking specifically of Metformin, but be aware that there can be side effects). You really want to get an initial checkup done anyway to check your insulin and cholesterol and such. PCOS can wreak havoc with a lot of different hormones and cause problems with your heart and cholesterol as well as making you high risk for Diabetes and uterine cancer, so you want to make sure that you have a doctor who will stay on top of the risk factors.

As far as weight loss is concerned, you're really just playing a guessing game until you know for sure if you are having any kind of hormonal effects from the PCOS. I'm lucky enough to not have any insulin resistance issues so, if it turns out that you do, what works for me may not work for you. I lost about 106lbs in a little under 2 years before I hit an extended plateau (which I'm finally breaking through 1 1/2 yrs later). I never had to get crazy with exercise, just walking every day and doing some aerobics and light weights was enough. I used weight watchers initially, then switched to MFP and have been on-again, off-again with it When I'm on, I use the MFP settings to tell the software how much weight I want to lose per week and then I follow the calorie and macronutrient guidelines it gives. The initial calories it gives you have already been adjusted for your weekly weight loss, so in theory any exercise calories you burn are yours to eat. However there is a raging debate on this (and most weight loss) sites as to whether or not you should eat them, so I recommend searching the forums for old posts on the subject and making up your own mind.

In general though, I would advise to make sure that you are not going over the carbohydrate goal that MFP sets and to make sure you keep exercising. It can be really hard for PCOS patients to lose any weight without exercise. And I think it's not unusual for PCOS patients to lose slower than other people, so just hang in there and be proud that the scale is moving, even if it's a little slow.
  • jackaroo1223
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice... is 7 total inches and 4-5 pounds in 5 weeks decent progress?

Also, have any of my fellow PCOSers taken Metformin? I have an RX for it, I'm just bad about remembering to take it... but I am wondering if I really should because it may really help. I was taking it the last time I lost 50 pounds... and I wasn't as strict with my diet then as I am now...
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is good process.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Those are pretty good results!! I agree with everyone else about carbs. I try to mostly get carbs just from fruits and vegetables, and try and stay away from breads and pastas. It took a long time to get used to but now for the most part it's natural.

The only medication I was put on was birth control. It helped control my hormones and really helped me lose weight I think. My prescription was generic ortho-cept.

Good luck with everything!! Feel free to add me if you want! :flowerforyou:
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 183 pounds. Firstly in relation to insulin resistance not everyone with PCOS is. To find out if you are or not go to the doctor and be tested, if you are quite likely they will put you on metformin.

In relation to your eating plan that doesnt look like a lot of food! How many calories is it and how much do you have to lose? I am only about 40 pounds from goal and I still eat 1500-1800 cals. I would recommend keeping up the resistance work, I personally found for myself I get good results when I combine with with some cardio (not every day needed maybe 3 times a week)

I personally could never do low carb so keep my carbs moderate with a aim to eat as much protein as I can (do not love meat so certainly something I struggle with)
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    OP said that she's been prescribed Metforim. That's a drug for type 2 diabetics, so it's safe to say that she is insulin resistant.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Actually I was prescribed metformin too and am not insulin resistance. Always best to deal with these things with a doctor in my opinion.
  • strawberriekt24
    strawberriekt24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Major hugs, OP. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2007 and could not get the scale to budge. I was originally prescribed 1/x Metformin a day. In 2011 they bumped it to 3/x a day and it's been since that bump that I've been really able to lose weight and keep it off. It is frustrating because the progress can be slower than everyone else, it seems. But keep on doing what you can do- as long as you're moving in the right direction, it doesn't matter how long it takes to get there :) You have made great progress so far!
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My GYN put me on Metformin even though my fasting blood sugars are fine. I've been taking it for over 3 months now. 500mg, 2x daily. The "side effects" everyone talks about are gastrointestinal in nature and are usually eliminated by taking it with food. (But sometimes, I get them anyway)

When I first started taking it, the gastro issues would be stomach cramping, followed by um... an emptying out the back door. Now on the rare occasions I get "side effects" it's just the emptying part and not so much of the actual cramping and pain.

I have found, for me, the only way I can lose weight with my PCOS is to eat 1200 calories per day or less. There's this whole phobia about going under 1200/day but I've also read that when you're severely overweight, it's not going to hurt you.

I have also found low carb diets to be highly effective for PCOS weight loss (just make sure you keep counting calories, too). Just know that if/when you do low carb, you will lose 3-5 pounds in water weight from the body's glycogen stores during the first few days. When you resume a normal carbohydrate diet, those 3-5 pounds must come back. It doesn't mean that the actual fat you lost is coming back, just the glycogen which is stored in your liver. It's normal. A lot of people get discouraged when this happens, so it's better that you know it's coming.

Good luck!
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Do you know for what function Metformin serves inside of the body other than making the insulin receptors more sensitive? According to the website below, the only other function of Metformin is to reduce the amount of glucose produced by your liver. So maybe you are not insulin resistant and that your liver is overproducing glucose? So much that your insulin receptors are not able to absorb enough? Either case, it's primary function seems to be a drug for people with abnormally high glucose levels or diabetics.

http://diabetes.emedtv.com/metformin/how-does-metformin-work.html
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Fasting blood glucose test can be deceptive because you've had a good 8 hours to allow your levels to drop. Oral Glucose tolerance test is more accurate because it will test your phase one insulin response, basically how well you handle glucose within the first two hours following a meal. It is extremely easy for a prediabetic to have normal glucose levels two hours after a meal.
  • t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Options
    explains alot.. i have had PCOS for 22 yrs.. basically sent home and live with it, a scan now and then maybe weighed .. I never knew anything about it effecting insulin or the liver, just pregnancy and periods, possibly weight .. ive recently found less carbsevery day work to help me lose weight. Now im wondering if PCOS is linked to me having to have my gall bladder removed because it was linked to the liver.. medical research required. May find out if it is effecting my weight too.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    if doc gave you metformin, take it. It helps PCOS along with birth control pills. Metformin has been around since the 70's and is a good, safe drug both for diabetes and PCOS. I had PCOS before they had the name for it (I'm 58) and my 24 year old daughter has it too. Same drugs perscribed for her. I developed diabetes in my early 40's.

Though I am old (haha), you can see that I managed to beat the insulin issues and have lost weight. It was a fairly slow process but speeded up when I dropped gluten, then all grains from my diet. Now if any of you think gluten free is stupid, please don't come down on me for it. It worked. I also eat high fat, low carb. There is tons of info on the web on this type of diet plan. A friend my age started this plan last Monday and has lost 10 pounds. Course that is the first week big loss and won't continue at that rate.

Now, you do not have to be gluten free or grain free. But you definitely need to restrict yours carbs 1) if you are interested in losing weight and 2) if you want to help your PCOS. You said you wanted to do both. Others have already made this recommendation too. It really really is important for both.

For exercise, get that combo of cardio and weight training. They go together for the best results. Better still if you do some weight training for a few minutes then jump on the treadmill and pound away for 2-5 minutes. Back to the weights for a few minutes more, then jump on the stationary bike for 2-5 minutes. Back to the weights, then hit the elliptical hard for a few minutes. I paid a fortune to a trainer that got me to doing that. So you can benefit from what I learned! You don't have to get on the treadmill or elliptical for hours at a time. Do 10-15 minutes for a nice warmup, then alternate the weight training with bursts of medium and high intensity cardio. You don't have to go full out on the cardio machines when doing weights. Do a minute at moderate, 30 seconds at high and repeat for those 2-5 minutes.

There are tons of recipes on making bread, cookies, cakes, muffins from ground flax and nut flours. Some are on threads here or just google low carb recipes. I made 1 net carb bread, 2 net carb pancakes, muffins, etc. Educate yourself first about eating low carb. Gradually decrease your carbs daily so you don't get that awful energy drain by going cold turkey. For noodles, I order Miracle Noodle. They are not exactly the same. But I love them. If you do get them, message me and I'll tell you the best way to fix them.

It can be done. It is hard at first to let go of those comfort food carbs. But hey....you wanna look great in your wedding dress and you wanna help fertility issues. Pretty important goals, I'd say.

And yes, after years of unfertility and all the drugs and shots known to man back in the 80's. I did finally conceive and have two grown daughters and a grandson. I was a lucky one as they didn't know about metformin and the diet issues back then!

Good luck. You can do it. There are a lot of other young ladies with similar issues and they have given good advice. Mainly, you gotta make your peace with the carbs....or should I say, the lack of them. Unfortunately for all of us, they are our undoing.
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    explains alot.. i have had PCOS for 22 yrs.. basically sent home and live with it, a scan now and then maybe weighed .. I never knew anything about it effecting insulin or the liver, just pregnancy and periods, possibly weight .. ive recently found less carbsevery day work to help me lose weight. Now im wondering if PCOS is linked to me having to have my gall bladder removed because it was linked to the liver.. medical research required. May find out if it is effecting my weight too.

That's a good question. I had to have my gallbladder out last year due to stones. I've been blaming it on the weight loss because I know that losing a large amount of weight can cause it. I've never seen anything about gallstones being linked to PCOS, but if you find anything I'd be curious.
  • jackaroo1223
    Options
    Interesting... I had my gall bladder out a few years ago too... And my family has the genetic marker for pancreatic cancer- runs in the family, I wonder if it is all tied together somehow?!! Insulin does seem to be the common denominator...
  • t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Options
    i know the gallstones and inflamed gall bladder i had was nothing to do with weight loss..it was 5 years ago and i wasnt ever over weight or dieted.. i did lose 4 stone in 2 months because of them, i couldnt eat or keep anything down if i did.. i lived on green tea apple or cranberry juice until they removed it :/

i was wondering if it was linked to pcos causing insulin probs which in turn caused liver probs which then cause gall bladder problems.... sometimes i think too much , but interesting to see others have had the same things :)

Re getting pregnant with pcos.. never lose hope.. surgeons told me after surgery due to pcos when i had just turned 16 that i would never have children it was so bad not even with medical help. 2 years later i was pregnant with no intervention and followed with another 3 babies..all 4 within 5 yrs.
    Tests after showed my condition was if anything worse than it was when first diagnosed at 16, surgeons again told me i could never have children even with medical help .. to which i replied 'for gods sake read your notes , ive already had 4' ha :D
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Any weight loss result is a good achievement. Unless you're an anorexic, then it would be a bad thing.
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Re getting pregnant with pcos.. never lose hope.. surgeons told me after surgery due to pcos when i had just turned 16 that i would never have children it was so bad not even with medical help. 2 years later i was pregnant with no intervention and followed with another 3 babies..all 4 within 5 yrs.
    Tests after showed my condition was if anything worse than it was when first diagnosed at 16, surgeons again told me i could never have children even with medical help .. to which i replied 'for gods sake read your notes , ive already had 4' ha :D

I agree with "never lose hope" but urge anyone who would like to have children to be proactive and do everything possible to help preserve fertility. I was also told I would never have more children after my first, but a few years later, after a few months on the pill to regulate things, I was lucky to become pregnant literally within days of stopping them and had a second daughter. Unfortunately, by the time we were ready to try for a boy, I really couldn't have more. If I could go back, I would have made much more of an effort to try to turn things around instead of thinking, "oh, it happened once when they said it wouldn't, no need to deal with it now." I didn't want to give up carbs and sugar and all of the not so fun things required and I paid dearly for it.

Keep up the good work. You're doing great! And good luck!