Not reaching my calorie goal...

Options
Hi all,

Just a quick question and hoping for some advice. I have been logging my food intake, but as I'm doing both MFP and Slimming World I have changed the way that I eat. I'll be honest, I'm enjoying it! I'm enjoying fresh food, lots of egg noodles with veg and lean meat etc etc.

I've also cut out fizzy pop (soda, for the US readers) unless it's diet and am drinking much more water.. The only thing 'bad' I drink is beer, but I don't drink that too often anymore either.

I'm not always reaching my calorie target for the day, however. This is either due to what I have eaten in the day, or gaining extra 'allowance' on calories due to exercise.

My problem is that I feel comfortable with what I'm eating. I don't feel hungry and I'm satisfied after each meal that I've eaten something healthy, tasty and filling. In fact I had a take away pizza on Sunday night with my girlfriend and felt horrible after it.

Should I be eating more just for the sake of it? Just to get my calories up? Even if I don't feel particularly hungry. It doesn't make any sense.

Your advice and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Replies

• jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    first off- congrats on the new lifestyle and feeling of being in control :)

as for your question, i think it depends how far you are from your goal (i cant see your diary to assess it better). if you are under by lets say 50-100 cals, no, i dont think u need to force yourself to eat for the sake of eating.

but if you are several hundred or more below- you are taking in less than your body needs. you want to ensure you arent compromising lean muscle, you are fueling your workouts, and you are doing something that will be sustainable long term.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    As the last poster said, it depends on how below you are. It also depends on how accurate you are really being. If you aren't using a food scale and logging everything (even that handful of M&Ms and that dab of ketchup), there is a decent chance that you are eating more than you think you are. You might also be overestimating your exercise calories. Those two possibilities could leave you in a place where you are actually eating all of your exercise calories back without realizing it. Without knowing more about what's going on, it's hard to be sure. You don't want to undereat, as this will undermine your workouts and make it more difficult to maintain your muscle mass, but you also don't want to eat more without being sure that's the right answer.
  • pearson114
    pearson114 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

It's several hundred under on some days, and to be honest the only time I'm over is when I have a few drinks. I go out with the lads on a Thursday night, and consume a good 6, 7 maybe 8 pints. Which is over 1000 calories in itself.

Not sure how to open up my diary so people can see it.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies.

It's several hundred under on some days, and to be honest the only time I'm over is when I have a few drinks. I go out with the lads on a Thursday night, and consume a good 6, 7 maybe 8 pints. Which is over 1000 calories in itself.

Not sure how to open up my diary so people can see it.

My Home->Settings -> Diary Settings
    Click the "public" radial button near the bottom of the page.
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I had a look through your diary and I noticed you were over your goal a few days and significantly under on others. I'd say focus on your weekly average rather than your daily, that way you can go over and under and it will even out through the week. good luck
  • pearson114
    Options
    I had a look through your diary and I noticed you were over your goal a few days and significantly under on others. I'd say focus on your weekly average rather than your daily, that way you can go over and under and it will even out through the week. good luck

Thank you! I'll try and do it that way. :)
  • nomesw84
    nomesw84 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    As the previous poster said, maybe try to focus more on a weekly goal rather than daily. I try to do that and I find it works much better for me and then there's no need to label days where I go over as 'cheat' days as if I look at the week as a whole I'm still ok.
  • RachelBiancaxx
    Options

Thank you! I'll try and do it that way. :)

You're welcome :)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I tend to work it on a weekly average as well so i can save some calories for weekend treats - the app is really good for this as it shows you the week view, and also says how many calories you have left for the whole week so by Friday night you can see if you've got those calories for the pints or if you're going to be on Kaliber (and we wouldn't want THAT would we:wink::laugh: :drinker: )

As others have said, it is importatn to log everything - even whatever you spread in a sandwich to stick it together. I've even weghed bread, put the Philly on and weighes it again to check:ohwell:

Most improtant thins is whether the measurements shift - whether scales or inches - and if you feel better in yourself for your new lifestyle.

One final thing on Slimming World - I've never tried it, though two former colleagues had really good results. But on Saturday I was at our local shoping centre and two ladies were setting up an advertising/recruitment stand - and one of them was substantially bigger than I am now, probably the size I was three-four months ago at least. It did make me question how sustainable SW would be - especially given the cost compared to (free!!!!)MFP. It just reminded me of whn Victoria Wood used to do her "aerobics instructor" sketch. But that's probably just me.
  • pearson114
    Options
    Ok... so I've just calculated that out of my weekly target (10,080) over the past 7 days I have a net calorie consumption of 10,165. Which makes me feel slightly better.

And an average daily consumption of 1,452, which is slightly over the set target of 1,440.

If I cut a pint of beer a week down, then I should be pretty much bang on.

You've made me feel better you guys! :)

Does this mean I now actually have to get off here and do some work, because I really don't want to!
  • RachelBiancaxx
    Options
    I'm glad you're feeling better about it. You just need to find ways that work for you.