fat smoker to triathlete

Options

Replies

• DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You look healthy, happy and YOUNG! I was also diagnosed with a bone bruise in my knee after training for a half marathon. I'm still not healed after 10 weeks and its really discouraging. I do ride my bike and use the elliptical. Did you have any residual knee pain after you resumed training? How is it feeling now?

Thank you, I'm actually 42 but feel like I'm 32 again.

I had no residual knee pain from the stress fractures but the torn hamstring bothered me for months. I just kept up with the swimming and biking which hurt a bit but was tolerable until I could start running again and took it slow and steady. Just stay determined.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You have made an awesome transformation, both physically and mentally. I'm sure a lot of smokers think they can't give up and get fit- what a shining example you are! And let's not forget your brave wife who kickstarted the whole process by quitting. Good on her too!

You are exactly right about my wife. I know how hard it was for me to quit. I NEVER would have been able to quit like she did with another smoker in the house.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    What an beautifully written and a very inspirational story you've provided. As I read the amazing story you shared, I found myself
    cheering you on with each new obstacle you overcame, and with each obstacle faced, it seemed you were more determined
    than ever to persevere and stay the course, ensuring your success in achieving your goals.

I sincerely commend you for your outstanding accomplishments.

Well done Sir!
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Wow, excellent transformation! You look so happy and healthy in your after picture. Congratulations!!
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Wow, congrats!!

The change on the outside is awesome. Imagine what it did for the inside of your body!
  • lsuz
    lsuz Posts: 74
    Options
    Wow! Welcome to the gun show iron man! Great story and great success! Way to go!
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've had the privilege of accompanying you on a good chunk of your journey, Jim and cannot remember once hearing you complain about your injuries! Wow, you've come a really long way. And you failed to tell that this ironman race you just completed was not just an ironman.. It was also your very first Tri!! You placed in the middle of the pack, a hella of a pack!.. made mostly of veteran, highly trained Garmined, Northfaced, REI-prepared athletes. So darn proud of you, kid. ????✨
  • FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your story, well done on your achievements!
  • rachdun
    rachdun Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story - great job and very inspiring
  • Amas77
    Amas77 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO!!!! Congrats!
  • zeetje
    zeetje Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this inspiring story! also plagued with injuries, but I quit :-((( Getting started again!!
  • debra6590
    debra6590 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Inspirational. I am astounded and proud of you - well done mate x
  • grillingirl
    grillingirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are amazing and should be very proud of yourself. And your story is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing!!!
  • tequilla123
    Options
    Great job! I have just started running 5k
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Excellent level of fitness as well!
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    What an amazing transformation! :drinker:
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Superb - what an inspiration you are.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Great story!!!

Congrats on your success!!!
  • yellowmirror
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your successful story! You look like a new person, and I'm sure you feel incredible.

Congratulations to you for not only losing weight but for quitting smoking! I know how hard that can be. I quit smoking on July 29 2012 but didn't think ahead enough about gaining weight and boy did I gain! 40 lbs in just a few months time! So now I am on the journey to lose weight... and your story completely inspired me!

Thanks again :)
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Just amazing
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!