I have GAINED weight!!!!

Options
Over the last month, I have made a conscious effort to go to the gym at least 4 times/week and do cardio - 40 minutes on the elliptical and then some weight training for arms and legs. I have also been eating a lot better, not always great, but under 1500 calorie each day. So, why have I gained weight??? I'm eating better and working out 4-5 times per week.

Should I cut out the weight training and just focus on adding more cardio? I am really feeling deflated and starting to question "what's the point?"

Thanks!

Replies

• dixielawgirl
    dixielawgirl Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't eating enough.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You started to increase your workout routine. Its just water weight and your muscles retaining more. Try weighing yourself again in a month.
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking the necessary amount of water to flush out the salt?
    Do you weigh and measure all your food to know exactly what you are eating?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The scale is not the only indicator of success. Take measurements and go by how your clothes feel.

Weight naturally fluctuates over the course of a month.

Also, weight training can cause water retention leading to scale weight gain. But note this is NOT fat gain, it's temporary water gain, so you could still be losing fat even though the scale tells you your weight is currently higher.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    are you measuring as well as weighing? Who cares what your mass is, you're more interested in your shape, right? So if you're not putting a tape round you on a fairly regular basis, you have no idea if you're making progress.

If you are suddenly doing a load more physical activity, then you are going to lose fat which weighs comparatively little, and increase your muscle mass, that comparatively weighs a lot.

In my opinion.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Could be you're not eating enough. Could be fluid retention. Really hard to say.

Given that you've only got 20 to lose I would be more inclined to suggest doing less cardio and more weights, but I'm certain people more experienced in smaller quantity losses could give better advice.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    You started to increase your workout routine. Its just water weight and your muscles retaining more. Try weighing yourself again in a month.

^^^ this, also how often do you weigh yourself? Since I have started lifting I only do once a month. also to say you may be gaining weight but losing inches.

1- take a before picture
    2- take a picture each month
    3- don't worry so much about the number on the scale it will go up and down
    4- keep going!
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Muscle Gain.

Kristen_Wiig_is_awesome.gif
  • ibadkitteh
    Options
    it's not fat you've gained. You've gained muscles already. That's the cause. :)

To all interested, follow my blog:

www.sexyfoosa.blogspot.com

To all asian users of myfitnesspal let us all share tips and workouts here also.

www.facebook.com/myfitnesspalasia.
  • gabrielleroberts3
    Options
    Weight training will add muscle to your body which weighs more than fat. If you want, just try cardio for about a month to see if you maintain or lose weight. Then you'll know whether it's the weight training or not. also, as dixielawgirl said, if you're hitting the gym, you need to eat back the calories you burn so your body doesn't feel like it's starving. You don't have to eat back all of them but a very good portion ought to do.
  • cmwrig04
    cmwrig04 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. I started working out and limiting calories to 1200 about two weeks ago and already notice a difference in clothes, but there is NO WAY I am getting on a scale for two months for the reasons listed here: muscle weights more, water weight, etc. Don't be discouraged.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're tracking your progress by more than just the scale. Take progress photos every few weeks, take measurements, go by how clothes fit.

Your weight will bounce around depending on fluid retention (from exercise, hormones, food, even the weather can play a role). If your "gaining weight" and your clothes are tight, then something's off. If your weight is up a little and your clothes are fitting better, give it time.

Edited to add: It's most likely NOT muscle. It takes a calorie surplus to build muscle and even that's really hard. It's more likely fluid retention and fuel storage caused by exercise.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

To all asian users of myfitnesspal let us all share tips and workouts here also.

lol, no.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

Oy! Lord no!

Please don't give up on the strength training. You are probably retaining water. Give it some more time and take pics and measurements, don't go by the number on the scale it's really not as important as you think. Keep going!
  • s16lad
    s16lad Posts: 197
    Options
    Maybe you aren't eating enough.

Can you explain this please?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

If you are suddenly doing a load more physical activity, then you are going to lose fat which weighs comparatively little, and increase your muscle mass, that comparatively weighs a lot.

In my opinion.

Sorry....not in a month.

Gaining muscle mass measureable by a scale is extremely difficult.

wuhwhat.gif
  • Kicker12
    Kicker12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Weight training will add muscle to your body which weighs more than fat. If you want, just try cardio for about a month to see if you maintain or lose weight. Then you'll know whether it's the weight training or not. also, as dixielawgirl said, if you're hitting the gym, you need to eat back the calories you burn so your body doesn't feel like it's starving. You don't have to eat back all of them but a very good portion ought to do.

It's unlikely that weight training will 'add' muscle ( in this instance ).It doesn't weigh more than fat.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Weight training will add muscle to your body which weighs more than fat. If you want, just try cardio for about a month to see if you maintain or lose weight.

Sshhhh! No
  • fitocordon
    fitocordon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Drink more water and make sure you are eating enough every day.. Also it's not necessarily a bad thing, you could have gained muscle and lost body fat. Either way you should be able to see results better if you do progress pics/measurements vs going by the number on the scale.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Also it's not necessarily a bad thing, you could have gained muscle and lost body fat.

Not enough in a month to actually move the scale....