I'm looking for other hippie chicks who don't shave...

Options

Replies

• shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy, but frankly tell anyone who tries to make you shave to shove it up their keister. Can't say I know the issue women have there, but I frequently get told to shave my face and looked at funny because I use clippers on my armpits/junk area to keep things trimmed and short (easier maintenance/cleaning/odor control.) It's your body you have a right to dress and shave or not shave at your leisure. Good luck ladies.
  • ShrinkingMuslimah
    ShrinkingMuslimah Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Ridicule?

I didn't shave anything for many many years. I regularly wore tank tops and cut-offs, so it wasn't a mystery. I only once had someone mention something to me, and she was very polite and respectful about it, and her only concern was hygiene. I agree, hygiene can be in issue when someone lets their hair grow under their arms and further down, however when I informed her that I washed several times/day to insure cleanliness (I was a hippie, but not a dirty hippie), she had no problem anymore. Other than that, I would often get high fives, or people stopping me in the street to tell me how happy they are to see a female who was proud of her hairy legs! Of course, this was when I lived on the west coast of Canada, basically the hippie capital of Canada, so I guess in other areas it would be worse.

I'm so sad to hear you've had such bad experiences with people ridiculing you about this. It is absolutely your choice what you do with your body, and there is no need at all to give in to the common social expectation of shaving, plucking, waxing, bleaching, tweaking, etc to look like the air-brushed girl on the front of the magazine.

Feel free to add me :)

Edit:
    Yes, and this is obviously before I changed my religion, and went through a pretty big lifestyle change LOL. Just realized how funny this post looks from a "Muslimah"
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    well, i shave my under arms sometimes, if i remember. i shave my lower legs before i get a pedicure because i'm embarrassed the woman doing it has to touch my legs, but that is seldom. i do not touch my nethers, well i touch them, but not with a razor or wax.

i also have a hormonal imbalance that causes hair to grow on my face, my chin to be exact. i have a very sensitive face so wax is out, same with nair or the same. the only thing that works is a sharp razor, and even then i can only do it once every few days so other then right after i shave, theres always some growth on my face. it sucks. i'm very self conscious about it. i'm sure people laugh behind my back.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    i have a hormonal imbalance that causes hair to grow on my face, my chin to be exact. i'm very self conscious about it.
    I have facial hair too, it's probably more common than you think. And it's one bit of cultural conditioning I haven't been able to break, as it's the only hair I feel compelled to remove.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't shave my legs in the winter. DH gets pretty excited in the spring, he gets tired of furry legs. I tried not shaving my pits, but I really couldn't handle how itchy it felt. The only thing I'm really vain about it i the hair on my head. Otherwise, I prefer a natural look.

Summer time is shaving and waxing time for me. But the time fall arrives, I'm ready to be done with it.
    i also have a hormonal imbalance that causes hair to grow on my face, my chin to be exact. i have a very sensitive face so wax is out, same with nair or the same. the only thing that works is a sharp razor, and even then i can only do it once every few days so other then right after i shave, theres always some growth on my face. it sucks. i'm very self conscious about it. i'm sure people laugh behind my back.

My sister has this same issue. I feel for her, I know she feels self conscious about it too. Which kind of pisses me off that she has to feel that way or that you do too because someone else has to pull other people down to feel better about themselves.

I'm pretty constantly plucking wiry hairs out. I think it is way more comon than most people think too. I'd bet in a world without razors or tweezers, we'd see more of other people's flaws. Maybe we'd judge each other less harshly.
  • mattkdawson
    mattkdawson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    :frown: :sick:
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm not a hippie chick, but I don't shave my legs.

Those of you who are disgusted by this thread should really consider why you're so self-centered that it bothers you when others do not modify their bodies to suit you. And then come to terms with the fact that world doesn't revolve around you.
  • Evilmuffin666
    Evilmuffin666 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Move to Europe. No one cares whether you do or dont. As when you go to the spa, it doesnt matter what size you are, there will always be lots more even bigger. Even at the textile-free spas.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Those of you who are disgusted by this thread should really consider why you're so self-centered that it bothers you when others do not modify their bodies to suit you. And then come to terms with the fact that world doesn't revolve around you.

Is it not fair to say the same of people that post threads about how they are acting outside of very insignificant social norms and yet are offended by other people being offended? At some point it just becomes silly. Either act the way you want and accept the (quite minor) consequences or don't. It's really not a big deal one way or the other. I really don't think many people care whether you shave your legs or not.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but quite a few people could afford to learn the "world doesn't revolve around you" lesson.
  • mommarobb
    mommarobb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't have an issue with you not shaving and others shouldn't either. Why people feel the need to judge others is beyond me. I am on the other end of the spectrum to the extreme of having no hair on my body. For years the only hair I had was my eyebrows, the rest of my body was great friends with a razor lol. I heard a lot of comments about "poor girl, going through chemo" When I told them it was by choice they would get all weird. I grew the hair back on my head when I decided to go back to work. I found a lot of judgement when it came to looking for a job with a shaved or buzzed head :(

DSC02291-1.jpg
  • Fatlorenzo
    Fatlorenzo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I tried that, but got such gross reactions, I had to start epilating again :(
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Good for all of you natural ladies! I shave, but totally respect anyone who doesn't (as long as they're hygienic).
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Is it not fair to say the same of people that post threads about how they are acting outside of very insignificant social norms and yet are offended by other people being offended? At some point it just becomes silly. Either act the way you want and accept the (quite minor) consequences or don't. It's really not a big deal one way or the other. I really don't think many people care whether you shave your legs or not.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but quite a few people could afford to learn the "world doesn't revolve around you" lesson.

If you're talking about the OP of this thread, I'm afraid I don't follow. A follow up post she made said "Haters gonna hate. I can't change that. But I sure can spread the love instead!" That seems like the opposite of acting like the world revolves around her.

If you're not talking about the OP of this thread, then I'm afraid I don't see the relevance of your statement. Can you please clarify?
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Move to Europe. No one cares whether you do or dont. As when you go to the spa, it doesnt matter what size you are, there will always be lots more even bigger. Even at the textile-free spas.

Wrong....lol
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    so if we shave somehow we are less tree huggerish?
  • emilydiehl08
    Options
    LOVE the OP's about me section =D

especially the Cleveland Browns part!
  • mommarobb
    mommarobb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am a tree hugger and hairless (see above photo) don't think one has much to do with the other
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

If you're talking about the OP of this thread, I'm afraid I don't follow. A follow up post she made said "Haters gonna hate. I can't change that. But I sure can spread the love instead!" That seems like the opposite of acting like the world revolves around her.

If you're not talking about the OP of this thread, then I'm afraid I don't see the relevance of your statement. Can you please clarify?

Talking-to-Brick-Wall_zpsee0b7f6a.jpg
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Good for all of you natural ladies! I shave, but totally respect anyone who doesn't (as long as they're hygienic).

Why the assumption that someone who chooses not to shave, wax, etc. might be unhygienic? Would you make the same parenthetical comment of someone who chooses to remove their hair?
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I don't have an issue with you not shaving and others shouldn't either. Why people feel the need to judge others is beyond me. I am on the other end of the spectrum to the extreme of having no hair on my body. For years the only hair I had was my eyebrows, the rest of my body was great friends with a razor lol. I heard a lot of comments about "poor girl, going through chemo" When I told them it was by choice they would get all weird. I grew the hair back on my head when I decided to go back to work. I found a lot of judgement when it came to looking for a job with a shaved or buzzed head :(

DSC02291-1.jpg

you have a lovely head.. i mean the shape of your head. you look awesome bald. :)