New to MFP -- overwhelmed

Options
2»

Replies

• MarciaAG
    MarciaAG Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP!!! It is overwhelming isn't it??!! I use a measuring cup when I can, guess and estimate when I need to. When you are just getting started, don't worry too much about being exact, that can come later when making the healthy choices has become a habit. The real benefit to logging your food is starting to realize how much you eat and what you choose. Just like everything that seems daunting... baby steps, one thing at a time, the changes will happen!!!
  • Grenon
    Grenon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I use a scale to measure things like meats and I use measuring cups for easily measurable things such as yogourt or fruits. But a lot of times you have to end up estimating or comparing to other things. Say you are out to eat and the meal you have is not on MFP then you can compare it to other restaurants or home made meals. You will get use to being able to pick out your diet from what is listed! Also if you make your own recipes you can add them to MFP! When you are given lots of options I usually choose the middle calorie average for what I am trying to find just because I don't want to under do or overdo! Good luck with your goals!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I was wondering how everyone manages to get so specific with their food intakes?

I was going to input the breakfast I ate for today which consisted of oatmeal with some cinnamon & a banana, but then I type in banana and there's all these options for banana and a lot of them are very specific with sizing:indifferent: and I'm just a little overwhelmed.

I'm wondering if you guys actually get that specific (and if so, how?) or just pick something that gets the job done?

Thank you!:flowerforyou:

DON'T just pick one. Look for one with several confirmations. I used to "pick one" and after a few days I realized one entry was totally screwed up...... entry had peanuts as low fat (doh!).

But I don't weigh a banana ..... I can eyeball small, medium, or large. Other things I do measure or weigh - cereal for example - different shapes & sizes, bowl sizes ..... too many variables... I need to measure.

Just do the best you can, after a few days you will get the hang of it.