C25K Success!

Options
DeeVanderbles
DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
I began the C25K program in April of this year. I had planned on running a Color Run 5K in June but ended up not registering as the friend I was going to do it with joined the Army, plus I definitely was not ready. I could do 10 minute intervals but anything more than that was death. I couldn't finish W5D3 at 20 minutes. So I did what I could of it and moved on to Week 6 and did the intervals there. Periodically I would attempt W5D3 again and just kept working at it.

About a week and a half ago I finally ran for 20 minutes straight. Then, a week ago, I ran for 30 minutes. Once I mapped my run, I was super discouraged that even though I ran for 30 minutes, it only worked out to be 2.2 miles. I still had to run about a whole other mile for a 5k!

I ran my first 5k on Sunday, July 21, 2013, 5 days after my 30 minute run. It was a hilly course and I had no idea how the heck I was going to survive. Fortunately, it was about 20 degrees cooler than it had been and I think that played a huge role in my performance. My goals were to run the whole 5k and to finish in 30 minutes or under. When I ran the 2.2 miles in 30 minutes I realized that my 30 minute goal was way off and I really just wanted to run the whole thing.

I ran the whole 3.1 miles. It took me 45:08. That's a solid 15 minutes longer than I've ever run in my life. I'm still completely shocked that I am able to run for 30 minutes straight and to go from that and blow right on by by 15 more minutes, it's astounding. I am completely surprised, thrilled and proud at what my body can do.

Today, two days post-race, my calves are killing me. The day of, it was my hips, the day after was my quads and today is my calves. Two days after is always the worst for me so I'm hoping tomorrow will be better - until then, I'm trying to up my water intake to help flush stuff out and help my muscles heal.

I FREAKING DID IT!!!!

Replies

• ambiedawnz
    ambiedawnz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! Thank you for the inspiration! I've been wanting to try c25k again (the 1st time I didn't finish bc I became pregnant with my 2nd child and didn't feel comfortable continuing the program). I'm NOT a good jogger/runner and my endurance is horrible. I feel like death after just 60-90 seconds of a run :(
    I attempted a 5k race about 3 years ago and ended up walking half of it and although I finished I felt like a loser for having to stop and walk.
    You give me hope that I can build up to it eventually.
    When you first started did your knees or shins give you any problems? Did you run on a treadmill or pavement/trail??

Thanks again for sharing and being an inspiration/motivation for me :)
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! Thank you for the inspiration! I've been wanting to try c25k again (the 1st time I didn't finish bc I became pregnant with my 2nd child and didn't feel comfortable continuing the program). I'm NOT a good jogger/runner and my endurance is horrible. I feel like death after just 60-90 seconds of a run :(
    I attempted a 5k race about 3 years ago and ended up walking half of it and although I finished I felt like a loser for having to stop and walk.
    You give me hope that I can build up to it eventually.
    When you first started did your knees or shins give you any problems? Did you run on a treadmill or pavement/trail??

Thanks again for sharing and being an inspiration/motivation for me :)

When I first started my shins did hurt a bit but that was only the first few times. I realized I needed to slow my pace quite a bit and the shin splints went away.

I have a knee issue in the first place. My right knee has caused me pain for years and I had exploratory surgery a few years ago but they didn't find anything. I did have some plica that they took out but they said it shouldn't case pain. My knee is a lot better now than it was but it still gives me trouble sometimes. That said, I was hesitant to start running because of how high impact it is and I was afraid I'd injure my knee again. But though I couldn't say this in high school, I love running. Truth be told, walking for 20+ minutes causes me more joint pain in my feet, ankles, knees, hips and back than running does. I feel great after a run and awful after a walk.

I've run on both pavement and the treadmill. I prefer running outside. Since I started running on pavement, when I went to the treadmill I found it more difficult and when I ran on the treadmill for a few weeks and then switched back to outside, running outside was rough the first few times. I think it's definitely important to vary the surfaces you run on or at least to train on the surface that an upcoming race will be on.

When I started, I couldn't even run for 30 seconds. If I can do this, you can do this! It might take longer than the 8 weeks, though. It certainly did for me.
  • annamc18
    annamc18 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    congrats on your success!!!! :flowerforyou:

I've been working at the C25K program since like May, and have been on and off of it - not that it's a good excuse, but when the weather turned hot i just like...stopped lol :sad:

I have been trying to wake up early to go in the morning instead but I realized that I just cant wake up early :yawn: ....so now, I'm going to start braving it in the afternoons..... :laugh:

when its hot you sweat more anyways...lose weight faster, right?! ....yeah I'll just tell myself that lol..... Ill be drinking LOTS of water though!!!

I hope I have as great a success as you once i finally get over this stupid mental hump with the weather!!!! :bigsmile:
  • Kipperdoodle13
    Kipperdoodle13 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!

I finished w5d1 of zenlabs c25k yesterday (5 mins jogging, 3 min walking, 5 mins jog, 3 mins walk, 5 mins jog then cool down) and I am pretty **nervous** for what is to come. I bought new run shoes at the beginning of c25k and I still have some knee and shin/calf pain because I am 200+ lbs and I don't have great form while running, though I do sometimes catch myself and get better as I go.

I am registered for a 5k on September 29th in a local park, but no headphones are allowed! I'm not sure how I will survive. I'd be proud if I finish in under 40 minutes. I am running with a friend who is faster than me, but promises to keep my pace, of what I call a "Jog shuffle."'

I strongly recommend the c25k workouts, they are incredible for anyone who wouldn't consider themselves a runner!
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I am hopeful to do my first 5k in October (13 weeks away). Thank you for the inspiration!
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I began the C25K program in April of this year. I had planned on running a Color Run 5K in June but ended up not registering as the friend I was going to do it with joined the Army, plus I definitely was not ready. I could do 10 minute intervals but anything more than that was death. I couldn't finish W5D3 at 20 minutes. So I did what I could of it and moved on to Week 6 and did the intervals there. Periodically I would attempt W5D3 again and just kept working at it.

About a week and a half ago I finally ran for 20 minutes straight. Then, a week ago, I ran for 30 minutes. Once I mapped my run, I was super discouraged that even though I ran for 30 minutes, it only worked out to be 2.2 miles. I still had to run about a whole other mile for a 5k!

I ran my first 5k on Sunday, July 21, 2013, 5 days after my 30 minute run. It was a hilly course and I had no idea how the heck I was going to survive. Fortunately, it was about 20 degrees cooler than it had been and I think that played a huge role in my performance. My goals were to run the whole 5k and to finish in 30 minutes or under. When I ran the 2.2 miles in 30 minutes I realized that my 30 minute goal was way off and I really just wanted to run the whole thing.

I ran the whole 3.1 miles. It took me 45:08. That's a solid 15 minutes longer than I've ever run in my life. I'm still completely shocked that I am able to run for 30 minutes straight and to go from that and blow right on by by 15 more minutes, it's astounding. I am completely surprised, thrilled and proud at what my body can do.

Today, two days post-race, my calves are killing me. The day of, it was my hips, the day after was my quads and today is my calves. Two days after is always the worst for me so I'm hoping tomorrow will be better - until then, I'm trying to up my water intake to help flush stuff out and help my muscles heal.

I FREAKING DID IT!!!!

Awesome job!!! I too wasn't running the whole 3.1 miles at the end of my c25k program. I ran my first 5k in 40:37 and I loved it! Just ran the Philly Color Run on the 14th and beat my time by about 5 minutes (they don't time so I just looked at my phone time before and after...guesstimate).

I used to get pain in the beginning during the program but then was fine. I am starting the program over right now because I need to get better at breathing. I am really enjoying running though. Never thought I would say that.

Keep up the great work!!!
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options

I've been working at the C25K program since like May, and have been on and off of it - not that it's a good excuse, but when the weather turned hot i just like...stopped lol :sad:

I have been trying to wake up early to go in the morning instead but I realized that I just cant wake up early :yawn: ....so now, I'm going to start braving it in the afternoons..... :laugh:

when its hot you sweat more anyways...lose weight faster, right?! ....yeah I'll just tell myself that lol..... Ill be drinking LOTS of water though!!!

I hope I have as great a success as you once i finally get over this stupid mental hump with the weather!!!! :bigsmile:

OMG I really can't get up early to do it, either. I've tried a few times and I really just prefer to workout in the afternoon. So I'd wait an hour or so after dinner and run around 8:30pm when it was a little cooler. I found a little water bottle to take with me (8ish oz), not because I was running so long that I needed it to hydrate but because taking a few sips here and there is just a lot more comfortable.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!! Your story is similar to mine. I also started in April and while I finished the program as designed I could run the 30 minutes but was only getting to a little over 2 miles. I finally reached the 5K on this past Sunday and it took me 45 minutes to do it. I know how excited and proud you are feeling right now and you deserve it!!!! I am very proud of you for sticking with it when it was tough. You ROCK :)
  • hmseals77
    hmseals77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! I just started doing the C25K. I am hoping to be able to run a 5K at the end of September. Hearing your story gives me the inspiration and motivation I need. Congratulations again!!
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    Grats! I love the program and have highly recommended it to several people. When I finished the 9 weeks, I wasn't doing a full 5k yet either. But it wasn't long (like 2 weeks) before I said screw it and just kept running another 9 minutes or so and did it.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I just started W1D1 last night of the C25K. I have registered for a 5K at the end of September thinking I'd have to walk the whole way, but determined to do it anyway. I have chronic Pleurisy....or at least that's what I've been told. I've had it for over 25 years now and I'm darned if I'm gonna let that stop me from trying this! My goal is one hour - knowing I will probably have to walk half of it because of my lungs, but I have a stretch goal of 45 minutes if, for some crazy miracle, I manage to be able to jog most of the way!
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options

Awesome job!!! I too wasn't running the whole 3.1 miles at the end of my c25k program. I ran my first 5k in 40:37 and I loved it! Just ran the Philly Color Run on the 14th and beat my time by about 5 minutes (they don't time so I just looked at my phone time before and after...guesstimate).

I used to get pain in the beginning during the program but then was fine. I am starting the program over right now because I need to get better at breathing. I am really enjoying running though. Never thought I would say that.

Keep up the great work!!!

There was an article on Runner's World about rhythmic breathing which I found helped me a lot when I started. You breathe in for 3 steps and out for 2. Doing this begins your exhale on alternating legs and reduces risk of injury because one leg isn't taking all the force. It's also something to focus on instead of time or how much you're dying because your legs hurt and you can't breathe. :tongue:
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I'm doing C210K and started W4D3 last night but had to abort after only 15 mins because the sky decided to open about 15 mins earlier than I wanted lol. Running a 10k in october.
  • DeeVanderbles
    Options
    Congrats. I'm doing C210K and started W4D3 last night but had to abort after only 15 mins because the sky decided to open about 15 mins earlier than I wanted lol. Running a 10k in october.

That's awesome. I'm currently running once a week with a friend who is a couple weeks behind me in C25K so I run with her on the first day to push her through the whole run. She wants to do a 5k at the end of September that I'll probably run with her and then we'll both probably do 5k to 10k together.

Good luck!
  • annamc18
    annamc18 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

OMG I really can't get up early to do it, either. I've tried a few times and I really just prefer to workout in the afternoon. So I'd wait an hour or so after dinner and run around 8:30pm when it was a little cooler. I found a little water bottle to take with me (8ish oz), not because I was running so long that I needed it to hydrate but because taking a few sips here and there is just a lot more comfortable.

Yeah - I am just going to have to figure out when it's best for me to do it in the afternoon. I think I'm just going to have to do what you are doing & just go a bit after dinner.

Dinner is usually the biggest meal of the day for me, but maybe I could start training myself for lunch being a bigger meal & not much dinner....then that way I wouldn't be all bogged down with food when I start running... I'll figure it out! lol
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Yeah - I am just going to have to figure out when it's best for me to do it in the afternoon. I think I'm just going to have to do what you are doing & just go a bit after dinner.

Dinner is usually the biggest meal of the day for me, but maybe I could start training myself for lunch being a bigger meal & not much dinner....then that way I wouldn't be all bogged down with food when I start running... I'll figure it out! lol
    [/quote]

I can't run after I eat because I just end up feeling too heavy. I find that having a protein filled snack around 4pm and running right when I get home at 5pm works for me. I have my best runs on the weekends though when I wake up, have a breakfast smoothie and run an hour later. I guess I'm fresh and not already tired from working all day. I wish I could have days like that all the time, it is so encouraging to feel that light and energetic.
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I just started C25K last week and hoping to be in my first 5K in September.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Girl, you are amazing! Super excited for you and really impressed! My 5K's are jog/walk/jog/walk...So, yeah...good stuff!
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I am just wrapping up the C25K myself and have my first competitive run on August 3rd. I am just hoping not to embarrass myself out there.

Keep up the good work.
  • wcrathbun
    wcrathbun Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!! I just ran my first day of 15 minutes without stopping and am SHOCKED at how well I did (because I didn't acutually feel the urge to stop! Yay! I hope to have the same success is you when my first 5K rolls around on August 30th. Thanks so much for sharing!! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!