I'm looking for other hippie chicks who don't shave...

Options

Replies

• nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't have an issue with you not shaving and others shouldn't either. Why people feel the need to judge others is beyond me. I am on the other end of the spectrum to the extreme of having no hair on my body. For years the only hair I had was my eyebrows, the rest of my body was great friends with a razor lol. I heard a lot of comments about "poor girl, going through chemo" When I told them it was by choice they would get all weird. I grew the hair back on my head when I decided to go back to work. I found a lot of judgement when it came to looking for a job with a shaved or buzzed head :(

DSC02291-1.jpg

you have a lovely head.. i mean the shape of your head. you look awesome bald. :)

You do look totally awesome with no hair.... :happy:

For me personally, YES, I shave but with that being said, I will not discriminate against anyone that wants to add me, open invite!! lol At the end of the day, we're all here for the same reason with or without hair :drinker:
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I certainly consider myself a hippie chick though I do shave in stages. Summers I do tend to shave my armpits because of sweat and odor, but I forget I even have hair on my legs sometimes! And *gasp* I was so completely astonished to know that some women shave their arms?? I had never considered that in my life! (Although you can hate me, I am a natural blonde so my hair isn't all that prevalent).

I think society shouldn't have a place in declaring what people do with their bodies. To each their own! I, personally, find it hard to look at people who have extremely stretched earlobes or lips...it's just odd to me, but I certainly am not going to tell them NOT to do it.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are all humans....who cares about hair???

:tongue:
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm not a hippie chick, but I don't shave my legs.

Those of you who are disgusted by this thread should really consider why you're so self-centered that it bothers you when others do not modify their bodies to suit you. And then come to terms with the fact that world doesn't revolve around you.

Is it not fair to say the same of people that post threads about how they are acting outside of very insignificant social norms and yet are offended by other people being offended? At some point it just becomes silly. Either act the way you want and accept the (quite minor) consequences or don't. It's really not a big deal one way or the other. I really don't think many people care whether you shave your legs or not.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but quite a few people could afford to learn the "world doesn't revolve around you" lesson.

If you're talking about the OP of this thread, I'm afraid I don't follow. A follow up post she made said "Haters gonna hate. I can't change that. But I sure can spread the love instead!" That seems like the opposite of acting like the world revolves around her.

If you're not talking about the OP of this thread, then I'm afraid I don't see the relevance of your statement. Can you please clarify?

Talking-to-Brick-Wall_zpsee0b7f6a.jpg

lol. I responded to someone who was asking for a discussion with people who violate a norm. I also said that people who entered a thread that clearly wasn't about them just to express their displeasure that the rest of us exist need to realize that it's not always about them.

I didn't post a thread and I'm not offended by people who are offended by those of us who don't shave, so clearly your first post did a crappy job if you were trying to describe me.

You obviously know nothing about me, and the benefit of the doubt I gave you was misplaced. Oh, well.
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Why is it unhygienic for ladies to go without shaving their legs? Are mens' hairy legs just naturally hygienic, no need to shave? Does lady hair pick up more dirt?
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Why is it unhygienic for ladies to go without shaving their legs? Are mens' hairy legs just naturally hygienic, no need to shave? Does lady hair pick up more dirt?

lmao....MFP needs a "like" button like Facebook! Love this!!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    well, i shave my under arms sometimes, if i remember. i shave my lower legs before i get a pedicure because i'm embarrassed the woman doing it has to touch my legs, but that is seldom. i do not touch my nethers, well i touch them, but not with a razor or wax.

i also have a hormonal imbalance that causes hair to grow on my face, my chin to be exact. i have a very sensitive face so wax is out, same with nair or the same. the only thing that works is a sharp razor, and even then i can only do it once every few days so other then right after i shave, theres always some growth on my face. it sucks. i'm very self conscious about it. i'm sure people laugh behind my back.

:flowerforyou: In for hormonal imbalances.

I have hair, not by choice but because it also grows in places I hate and I have sensitive skin that makes in near impossible for me to do anything about it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

Yes, they do. Lady hair is like a dirt magnet. Its what they use in swiffers.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Someone sent me a private message with a cute little website. I wanted to share that with others here.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/some-men-shave-their-legs-and-some-women-dont-carry-on

(P.S. I won't be responding to the negative and/or prejudice messages or posts. First, I feel no need to defend myself. Second, I bore easily with trying to educate the intolerant. And most importantly, this thread was meant as a place of tolerance, acceptance, and support of diversity of people regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, body type/size, or choices about body modification/presentation.)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Those of you who are disgusted by this thread should really consider why you're so self-centered that it bothers you when others do not modify their bodies to suit you. And then come to terms with the fact that world doesn't revolve around you.

Is it not fair to say the same of people that post threads about how they are acting outside of very insignificant social norms and yet are offended by other people being offended? At some point it just becomes silly. Either act the way you want and accept the (quite minor) consequences or don't. It's really not a big deal one way or the other. I really don't think many people care whether you shave your legs or not.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but quite a few people could afford to learn the "world doesn't revolve around you" lesson.

If you're talking about the OP of this thread, I'm afraid I don't follow. A follow up post she made said "Haters gonna hate. I can't change that. But I sure can spread the love instead!" That seems like the opposite of acting like the world revolves around her.

If you're not talking about the OP of this thread, then I'm afraid I don't see the relevance of your statement. Can you please clarify?

Talking-to-Brick-Wall_zpsee0b7f6a.jpg

lol. I responded to someone who was asking for a discussion with people who violate a norm. I also said that people who entered a thread that clearly wasn't about them just to express their displeasure that the rest of us exist need to realize that it's not always about them.

I didn't post a thread and I'm not offended by people who are offended by those of us who don't shave, so clearly your first post did a crappy job if you were trying to describe me.

You obviously know nothing about me, and the benefit of the doubt I gave you was misplaced. Oh, well.

Angry response from someone with a chip on her shoulder? Check.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Yes, they do. Lady hair is like a dirt magnet. Its what they use in swiffers.

LOL.
  • Lutah7
    Lutah7 Posts: 45
    Options

This.... Precisely this. I shave .... Pretty much everything from the neck down, never once have I ever cared if someone else didnt. ..... Guess that makes me self-centered and shallow
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    you need to move to the pacific northwest. not shaving in Washington or oregon doesn't get you a second glance from anyone. I shave every now and again. (hair gets stuck in things and pulls) but I prefer not to.. I have definite hippy tendencies but so does 50% of the population here. it's pretty much the culture.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I try to shave my armpits over summer, but obviously not often enough, as my own brother commented to my mother that I had hairy armpits when I lifted my arms on my birthday to pick something up in a store, haha. I hate shaving my legs, and rarely bother. Down below, same thing. I just am a person who has never been interested in primping and preening to fit into society or to look a certain way. I have always preferred to just be natural, and that extends to makeup as well... I don't use anything beyond foundation. I don't bother with jewellery or even a watch. I wear what is comfortable, not what is going to get looks or admiration or fits into the idea of what is fashionable. I think being human has become lost, and now it is about doing our best to cover up our humanity with trinkets and baubles and all manner of disguises.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    When I grow out my pit hair it feels like soft kitten fur.

I go both ends of the spectrum sometimes I'm a hairy beast woman and other's a bald mole rat. Don't really care, but it seems unfair we have to shave all of our natural mammalian fur because of some good propaganda on the part of razor companies in the early 20th century.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Shaving and whatnot has never been a big thing for me one way or another. My pet peeve with society is the obsession with perfumes and chemicals.

originally the stuff was pretty pure but these days it's just a cocktail of carcinogens. If you look at ingredients a lot of the stuff is on lists of known cancer causing substances and it does absorb thru the skin as well as nasal passage ways.

I am allergic to the stuff. To me it's as bad as cigarette smoke. Is buying that stuff really worth the cancer risk? It's not regulated by the FDA.
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I shave my pits only when I'm gonna be wearing a short sleeve or sleeveless top and I wear long sleeves a lot. Also, I only shave if i'm going somewhere really nice and going to wear something that will show my legs.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I don't have an issue with you not shaving and others shouldn't either. Why people feel the need to judge others is beyond me. I am on the other end of the spectrum to the extreme of having no hair on my body. For years the only hair I had was my eyebrows, the rest of my body was great friends with a razor lol. I heard a lot of comments about "poor girl, going through chemo" When I told them it was by choice they would get all weird. I grew the hair back on my head when I decided to go back to work. I found a lot of judgement when it came to looking for a job with a shaved or buzzed head :(

DSC02291-1.jpg

That's awesome! You look amazing! My younger sis has the perfect head shape for a buzz cut and has very feminine facial features that could help pull it off. She won't do it though :/
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I tried that, but got such gross reactions, I had to start epilating again :(

??? why ??? absolutely the most torturous method of hair removal, & carries no additional benefit over waxing (which is at least shorter). guarantee no woman came up with it. "let's make tearing hair by the root as painful and long a process as possible, and see if we can have everyone get ingrowns" "oh yeah, sounds great"
  • marissaclaudio
    marissaclaudio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    don't feed the trolls
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Shaving and whatnot has never been a big thing for me one way or another. My pet peeve with society is the obsession with perfumes and chemicals.
    originally the stuff was pretty pure but these days it's just a cocktail of carcinogens. If you look at ingredients a lot of the stuff is on lists of known cancer causing substances and it does absorb thru the skin as well as nasal passage ways.
    I am allergic to the stuff. To me it's as bad as cigarette smoke. Is buying that stuff really worth the cancer risk? It's not regulated by the FDA.

Here's a handy website that lists a lot of major brands of perfumes and cosmetics and how hazardous the ingredients are.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/