Any Optifast users out there?

Options

Replies

• mcdermka
    mcdermka Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks coopermel! I think today is easier because I am at work and busy. Not to mention I do not have to smell what every one in the house is cooking!
  • mcdermka
    Options
    Harisv..... Same to you!!:smile:
  • mcdermka
    Options
    Some of us have not been successful following a "traditional" diet. Some because of medical issues, injuries or disabilities that prevent exercise. Optifast is a way for us to lose the weight and feel better about ourselves. Apparently you do not know much about the program because it not only is a low calorie plan but we also attend sessions to learn about why we eat, how to make changes and nutrition, This program requires a minimum of 18 week commitment to lose and learn how to maintain. Not to mention the monthly maintenance that is on going forever.
  • mcdermka
    Options
    Can't emphasize it more....................there are lots of weight loss shakes and eating plans, but unfortunately they all work the same way................calorie deficit (with some at LARGE calorie deficits).
    If you don't intend to eat with Optifast the rest of you life, the chances of weight regain is usually going to happen.

I encourage you to save you money and utilize MFP's calorie counting system and learn how to change the way you eat for a LIFESTYLE change and not just a temporary change because of a large calorie deficit.

Doing this for more than 28 years, you can trust that I've seen practically every diet plan out there and know that statistically only about 10% of all users maintain after the diet plan. The other 90% regain weight back because they return to actually eating whole food again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Some of us have not been successful following a "traditional" diet. Some because of medical issues, injuries or disabilities that prevent exercise. Optifast is a way for us to lose the weight and feel better about ourselves. Apparently you do not know much about the program because it not only is a low calorie plan but we also attend sessions to learn about why we eat, how to make changes and nutrition, This program requires a minimum of 18 week commitment to lose and learn how to maintain. Not to mention the monthly maintenance that is on going forever.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    ...Quick eyes? Sorry, I'm just looking at the root of the actual name. Fast eyes? WTF does that have to do with weight loss?
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Can't emphasize it more....................there are lots of weight loss shakes and eating plans, but unfortunately they all work the same way................calorie deficit (with some at LARGE calorie deficits).
    If you don't intend to eat with Optifast the rest of you life, the chances of weight regain is usually going to happen.

I encourage you to save you money and utilize MFP's calorie counting system and learn how to change the way you eat for a LIFESTYLE change and not just a temporary change because of a large calorie deficit.

Doing this for more than 28 years, you can trust that I've seen practically every diet plan out there and know that statistically only about 10% of all users maintain after the diet plan. The other 90% regain weight back because they return to actually eating whole food again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

THIS. Please listen to it, folks. I'm nont a personal trainer, but I went on HMR, an Optifast-type program, THREE times. Lost a load of weight, never kept it off. In all that time, I met only one person who kept it off for more than a year. The program kept parading her as a speaker for its new classes as some kind of proof that it worked. It feels great to lose it, you feel like you're never going back, but generally you do.

One question I'd love to see on the forums is: Is there anyone here who lost significant weight with Optifast and kept it off for more than two years?

I NEVER gained real control or understanding of how much I was eating, and of what quality, until I worked with a nutritionist. The liquid fasting programs do have a maintenance component, and I give them credit for trying when they do, but it doesn't seem to work if people haven't been practicing the behaviors that are going to keep the weight loss over a long time--i.e., by losing with good nutrition and exercise.

I know you want support. Believe me when I say that I'm ashamed of my failures on a liquid fasting program, how I couldn't seem to keep it off, certainly never learned to lose weight just on food before now. hat I might have done to my health and metabolism via yoyo dieting. The money that went down the drain! I'm not saying any of this to criticize you but in the hopes that you'll think about this some more. It's easy to put off the question of how you're going to "take it from there" once the weight comes off, but it's maybe the most important question in weight loss.

To my way of thinking, the only really valid purpose for these programs is either when someone must lose the weight and quickly in order to be able to undergo surgery, or has a weight-related health problem so dire that the weight must come down fast. In those cases, it's worthwhile to lose now and worry about keeping it off later.
  • harisv
    harisv Posts: 15
    Options
    Here is why I selected optifast:
    I tried eating better and exercise in the past that resulted in some weight loss, however, it was a very slow process for me (it took me 6 months to lose 10 pounds with better eating, weights and cardio ( about 4-5 hours a week)) and then I put that back in no time. I was prepared to do a full program with a professional, and the recipes looked kinda exotic with special herbs and all which sounded very complicated given my overloaded schedule.

I selected optifast because:
    1) The medical supervision and tests. I liked the idea that a doctor will scrutinize my hormone, thyroid, and insulin functions.
    2) Simple program, just drink the shakes and you are done.
    3) It was a way to put myself on the spot and make me do it (doctor and medical staff will be watching me), if nothing else so I will get my money's worth.

I am using optifast as way to get fast to the right track and then I plan to eventually phase out the shakes and replace them with meals of my liking. Actually, I plan to create low glycemic load variations of the foods I already like with measured portions and everything so I will know how many calories they contain. Also, as I will eat more calories I will do more intense exercising; right now I am just doing some push-ups and abs exercises. I try not to over do it since the diet is a very low calorie one, but I exercise so I will get used to it and to signal to my body that I want my muscle.
  • mcdermka
    Options
    I agree. It is a fast way to lose but not a life style. I received very bad test results so here I am. My doctor told me that with my metabolic & thyroid issues I would have to work 3 times as harder than anyone else. SO I decided to go this route since WW has not worked in the past.

Now, I have have completed 7 days and will weigh in on Monday night. Not sure if I lost but I followed the plan. I am just so tired, confused and forgetful. Anyone else experience that?

K
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question...you can obtain Optifast on amazon so its not prescribed or really watched by a Physician?..general questions not snarky Im curious and no nothing about this product...I use slimfast and am wondering the differences in the two
  • harisv
    Options
    Now, I have have completed 7 days and will weigh in on Monday night. Not sure if I lost but I followed the plan. I am just so tired, confused and forgetful. Anyone else experience that?
    I was like that around the fifth day. It is normal to experience some of that at the beginning (the guide I was given said that as well); it gets better as the time goes. Nevertheless, make sure that you mention that to the medical staff on your next visit.
  • harisv
    Options
    Just a quick question...you can obtain Optifast on amazon so its not prescribed or really watched by a Physician?..general questions not snarky Im curious and no nothing about this product...I use slimfast and am wondering the differences in the two

A difference that I noticed is that Optifast has more protein than slim fast: 14g for the 800 formula and 26 for the high protein (HP) version.

To get higher protein with slimfast you need to use milk with it.
  • lil_monkey21
    Options
    Well wednesday will be my week 1 official weigh in but been doing sneaky checks and my weight is deff down yay. I am doing the transition and apart from fish and chips last night (which were disgusting) and a yummy ice cream I have been super good. Turned down mcd breakfast with my man (the smell of it was killing me) come on weight loss
  • mcdermka
    Options
    Thanks, Harisv. I did mention last night and found out it should pass by the next week or so. I also learned that I can have any combination of shakes or soups. I was told at orientation I could only have 1 bar, 1 soup and 3 shakes. That was difficult for me since I do not really have a big sweet tooth. Next week I plan on doing 2 soups, 2 shakes and a bar. Bars do need to be limited to one a day since they are not as nutritional as the rest. If the salt does not bother me I'll try 3 soups...

On a good note down 6 lbs. Which is a lot in a week..... but wish it would be faster.... like how quick I can put it on! :drinker:
  • Ben_Avery
    Ben_Avery Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There are a few comments about Optifast helping people lose weight quickly but not get control for a long term weight management plan. I don't think you can blame Optifast for that. Any diet without a long term plan and a major mind shift to change what is wrong with your diet and exercise will fail. For those who say it is just another shake diet I disagree. It is a proper vlcd option for people who have weight to lose Before they can start on a regular weight loss and fitness regime. I know the plan can vary from country to country but in Australia and New Zealand you have salads/vegetables, essential oils and minimum water requirements to avoid gall and kidney stones. This is from day 1. We do not have the 800 calorie 5 shake a day method (which I disagree with).
    I think the method we have in Australia and New Zealand does an excellent job at educating about nutritional value of each food type, the importance of plenty of water in a healthy lifestyle and the effect of light and moderate exercise in your life . We also have the ability to buy the products from any chemist or online without any medical intervention. I would recommend that people see their doctor and work with a Nutritionist to follow the plan.in Australia the doctor and Nutritionist should be free via bulk billing and the Nutritionist free via your local community health centre. No reason not to use the services.
  • amyegm
    amyegm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did optifast back in 2004 and it worked well, but then I regained due to pregnancy and not staying as active as I'd been. I've just restarted the program and it has changed some since then. Of course, there is variation between physicians as well. I'm doing 5 meal replacements, 5 servings of veg and up to 2 servings of fruit. I'm still on my first week, but I love it because, despite not being that fond of the shakes, I love the directed nature of the program. It gives you accountability that doing a diet on your own doesn't. In fact, my doc won't give you the replacements unless you are in the office for your appointment. If you have to go out of town or something and need to "stock up" for the trip, you pay extra. It keeps people from not coming in.
  • mcdermka
    Options
    Just completed my second week on Optifast and I am discouraged by the 2 1/2 lb loss this week. I thought in the beginning the weight would come off quicker. I was assured I was on track by my dietician but loss was on the lower end. So, another diet that works great for others but not me. I'm not sure 12 weeks will be worth the cost. I am thinking about transition at 6 weeks.

Any one else with this problem?????
  • harisv
    Options
    Just completed my second week on Optifast and I am discouraged by the 2 1/2 lb loss this week. I thought in the beginning the weight would come off quicker. I was assured I was on track by my dietician but loss was on the lower end. So, another diet that works great for others but not me. I'm not sure 12 weeks will be worth the cost. I am thinking about transition at 6 weeks.

While it may sound disheartening, at least you lost some. I am not sure how much they help, but I get 2 B vitamin shots per week as a part of the program. They told me is supposed to keep my metabolism up. They also recommended that I should take a B complex vitamin, metamucil, and a probiotic every day, which I am doing as well. In my case, I am also doing about 10 mins of exercise (push-ups and abs) 5 days a week.
  • Ariantha
    Ariantha Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There are a few comments about Optifast helping people lose weight quickly but not get control for a long term weight management plan. I don't think you can blame Optifast for that. Any diet without a long term plan and a major mind shift to change what is wrong with your diet and exercise will fail. For those who say it is just another shake diet I disagree. It is a proper vlcd option for people who have weight to lose Before they can start on a regular weight loss and fitness regime. I know the plan can vary from country to country but in Australia and New Zealand you have salads/vegetables, essential oils and minimum water requirements to avoid gall and kidney stones. This is from day 1. We do not have the 800 calorie 5 shake a day method (which I disagree with).
    I think the method we have in Australia and New Zealand does an excellent job at educating about nutritional value of each food type, the importance of plenty of water in a healthy lifestyle and the effect of light and moderate exercise in your life . We also have the ability to buy the products from any chemist or online without any medical intervention. I would recommend that people see their doctor and work with a Nutritionist to follow the plan.in Australia the doctor and Nutritionist should be free via bulk billing and the Nutritionist free via your local community health centre. No reason not to use the services.

I'm doing the NZ/Aus version too, I did my first round of it at the end of last year and lost 22 kg (a little under 50 lbs) in 3 months. By the time I got to the end of the program my stomach had shrunk, I was eating healthy well balanced meals and was exercising regularly.

Mcdermka I'm not sure what losses you're meant to see where you are but 2.5 lbs (1.1 kg) is still a good solid loss. In New Zealand our government recommends the healthy amount to lose per week is 500 grams to 1 kg so you're still above the norm :)
  • mcdermka
    Options

While it may sound disheartening, at least you lost some. I am not sure how much they help, but I get 2 B vitamin shots per week as a part of the program. They told me is supposed to keep my metabolism up. They also recommended that I should take a B complex vitamin, metamucil, and a probiotic every day, which I am doing as well. In my case, I am also doing about 10 mins of exercise (push-ups and abs) 5 days a week.

I get B12 injections monthly and have for a couple of years. What does the probiotic do? I definitely need Metamucil! I have tried walking 1 mile a day this week and have done this twice as my energy is so low. I still have not gotten past being tired. Not sure I'll make 12 weeks but I make that decision once I get to 6 weeks.
  • mcdermka
    Options

I'm doing the NZ/Aus version too, I did my first round of it at the end of last year and lost 22 kg (a little under 50 lbs) in 3 months. By the time I got to the end of the program my stomach had shrunk, I was eating healthy well balanced meals and was exercising regularly.

Mcdermka I'm not sure what losses you're meant to see where you are but 2.5 lbs (1.1 kg) is still a good solid loss. In New Zealand our government recommends the healthy amount to lose per week is 500 grams to 1 kg so you're still above the norm :)

Yes, I know 2 1/2 pounds in a week is good but with 60+ lbs to lose I thought the weight would come off a little quicker. If it did it certainly would help with motivation. Plus I am still so tired all the time. My doctor agrees that my losses are not typical and on the low end of the range. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.