If I tell you what I'm doing will you...

Options
2»

Replies

• mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    So here are the changes I have made (am making)

1. Changed my activity level on MFP to sedentary so that if nothing else i know I've hit a deficit for the day. I'm not trying to build a ton of muscle just yet, but I'm not trying to lose it either, and i just flat out love strength training, I'm not a cardio junky like some lol.
    2. I'll be logging my foods more diligently because you cant have accountability if you're not 100% honest with yourself.
    3. Upping my cardio to at least one day of only cardio between weight training days. So my "regimen" will be 4 days of strength training plus 20 minutes of cardio - One day of only cardio.
    3. IF i choose to eat back any calories it will only be half of what is calculated by the machine or MFP since i don't yet have an HRM to see an accurate calorie burn for cardio.
    4. I am going to get an HRM sometime soon a good one.
    5. I have to cut out alcohol for the most part its alot of empty calories and they are wasted on liquid.
    6. Logging all my meals for the day before i have them so i can plan for 'uh-ohs' before hand.
    7. Hearing about retaining water (while some can be attributed to the new routine) i realize i may have way too much sodium in my diet.

Again thank you everyone!
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Wait, what? You're pregnant? Exercise is awesome, and you should watch your diet so you don't gain overly much but you don't want too drastic a deficit when you're pregnant. I mean, seriously, it's the most metabolically active time of your life. And I agree with others, log everything, ESPECIALLY the days you're ashamed of. Also, weigh your food. Just estimating is going to throw you way off.
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    Wait, what? You're pregnant? Exercise is awesome, and you should watch your diet so you don't gain overly much but you don't want too drastic a deficit when you're pregnant. I mean, seriously, it's the most metabolically active time of your life. And I agree with others, log everything, ESPECIALLY the days you're ashamed of. Also, weigh your food. Just estimating is going to throw you way off.

LOLOL So so sorry... i didnt mean to imply that i am pregnant .. I am not. I had my baby 9 months ago and i am about 10-15 lbs heavier than when i found out i was pregnant hence the pregnancy weight comment
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    When you get an HRM, I highly recommend one with a chest strap. In my experience, the wrist only ones aren't as accurate as those with chest strap. I have a Polar FT7, which I absolutely love, but if you want a more basic (and less expensive) one, the Polar FT4 is also excellent.

(I just really like Polar. I also have a Fitbit One that I love, but as was mentioned above, it's not an HRM. Still, it's good for keeping me active, which is what I need.)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    A couple of notes - retaining water from exercise has zero to do with sodium levels. It's all about glycogen stores in the muscles.

Second - the accuracy of HRMs are greatly overstated here. They are a good tool but not necessary. If you choose to get one keep in mind they are designed for steady state cardio they will not be accurate for your weight lifting. Here is a good blog to read regarding that.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories
  • mommabenefield
    Options
    A couple of notes - retaining water from exercise has zero to do with sodium levels. It's all about glycogen stores in the muscles.

Second - the accuracy of HRMs are greatly overstated here. They are a good tool but not necessary. If you choose to get one keep in mind they are designed for steady state cardio they will not be accurate for your weight lifting. Here is a good blog to read regarding that.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories

Thanks I will check those out :)