Have you lost 70lbs or more without a gym

Options
Keffinger22
Keffinger22 Posts: 100 Member
Hi,

I am thinking of working out at home rather than a gym to save money. Has anyone had success with working out at home and lost 70lbs or more that way? I am 5'6 and 215lbs and 25 years old. I would like to lose 70lbs. I am a little worried that if I workout at home I won't lose as much as I would at a gym.

I have two 8lb weights and a fitness band and a bicycle. I am not sure what kind of workouts to do yet but I do have a Jillian Michaels Revolution DVD set that I haven't tried yet and I could do that.

Thoughts and/or success pics from losing weight with no gym?

Thanks!!

Replies

• mstep1113
    mstep1113 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've only lost 30 - but was a really strong runner and generally super fit (raft guide, ect) before I went abroad and gained a ton of weight. I've never consistently used the gym. My suggestion would be to develop habits that you can maintain in the long run. If you really can't imagine shelling out the gym membership for a prolonged period, then find other things to do. Walking is a great, free exercise. Lots of DVD workouts are great and require minimal equipment. There are also free workouts online if you look around (blogilates, ect).

Just make sure that whatever you are doing is at least somewhat fun for you. If you really can't bare the thought of Jillian's stuff right now (or it's hard to the point of inhibiting you), just walk or ride your bike. Succeed at small tasks before you challenge big ones. And although exercise is certainly crucial to weight loss, you definitely don't have to have a gym to do it - and you should get rid of that mindset. Don't let yourself feel defeated or like you're missing an important component. You can definitely do it with healthy diet and home exercise.

I might consider checking with your school (your profile says you go full time) and seeing if there is a recreation center or if they offer a discount at the local Y. Although a gym is by no means necessary, it's great for rainy days and low impact exercises.

:)
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Frankly I hate gyms. I'm self conscious about being in them at my weight, I don't really know how to the use the machines, and I'm just kind of a loaner. So I decided to do a combination of walking and exercise videos. So far it's working great. I've lost 27 pounds...need to lose at least 60 more probably. Jillian Michaels is my favorite. I've finished the 30 Day Shred, and now am doing Ripped in 30. For me 8 pound weights would be too much for Jillian's stuff. I use 3-5 pound weights right now. I really enjoy the privacy of working out at home...but Jillian gives enough instruction and structure that someone like me who knows nothing about fitness can figure out what to do.
  • 57susi
    57susi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I successfully lost 75lbs without specifically going to a gym although I do now only as it is convenient. I would suggest that you invest in a pedometer to see how much you are moving each day. This was very revealing for me and I try make sure that even on days when I don't do any formal exercise I walk at least 10,000 steps a day. I have kept my weight off for almost three years now and eat a healthy diet.

I would agree with mstep1113 to only do what you enjoy as this is the only way you will keep it up.

I now walk whenever I can and think of the money I am saving on petrol.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have lost 131 lbs and have never stepped foot inside a gym. I workout using workout DVD's like 30 day shred, Slim in 6, Insanity, power 90 and recently got Focus T25 but am not allowed to start that till August 5th.

2n21ir4.jpg
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,354 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I lost over 80 lbs..(my weight ticker is not correct on here because they are using my weight when I started on this site and not what I started at.) I was 220 and am now 137. I lost the weight almost exactly over the last 2 years. I have never had a gym membership. I am teacher, and most of my parents and students are at the local Y or gyms around me so I would constantly be interrupted. I committed myself to working out either each morning or after work each evening and weekends.

In the past I used CD's such as Walk Away the Pounds. I think it can be hard going through some of the high intensity workouts when you are carrying lots of weight. I have done Julian Michaels and considered myself pretty physically active and it was very rough to get through. Over time I have purchased a total gym and elliptical but I have used simple things such as a stability ball, abdominal roller, bands, bosu ball and suspension trainer. I am getting great back, shoulder and arm toning just using a little piece of equipment called The Spin Gym. (Muscle burns more calories then fat). These items take up little room and are not expensive.

I did lots of aerobics with walking, increasing distance, and cycling. I added weights as I went along. I am now running and cycling but I did not start my running until a year after losing significant weight. It was too hard on my knees and joints. Your younger so it may not be so bad.

A friend once asked a professional trainer what would be the best piece of exercise equipment to buy and he replied the one that you will use all the time. If you don't use what you purchase, there is no point in buying it. Make sure it is something you will use regularly. I often use a good leather jump rope to get my heart rate up. Not costly.

Hope this helps.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have lots of pics in my profile, other than 3 months back in 2011, I have done all my weight loss without a gym.
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm down 50+ lbs since having VSG on May 8th of this year. I don't exercise much except for some occasional walking of my dogs when my feet don't hurt. I refuse to pay for a gym membership but I do enjoy swimming and water aerobics when the weather allows.
  • lawmaria
    lawmaria Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    i have lost almost 80lbs without a gym. i started with turbo fire and now doing insanity. i like the privacy of my own home and i can workout whenever i have my free time. also i have children to take care of so i have to work around their schedule, especially when school starts.
  • mgirard447
    mgirard447 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to a gym and lost some weight (maybe 15 pounds) but eventually gained it back and then as a student couldnt afford the gym anymore. Decided to do this without a gym and have lost 25 pounds and have kept it off. I wont go back to a gym! Totally do-able without!
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    No gym for me, so far, and I am right at 70lbs. I may explore the possibility once winter rolls around again though.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Yep, a few bits of general gym equipment in garage, running, cycling, swimming, skipping and healthy eating = weight dropping off
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm down 70lb myself, without a gym.. I found super cheap weights - some I bought from ebay, others I used the local Freecycle)
    so I can follow the New Rules book (which was also super cheap). I have a Wii, and do the Cardio Trainer or Zumba on there.

I also love the Bodyweight circuits from NerdFitness too, as you don't have to have any equipment beyond yourself.

It's totally possible to lose weight without a gym.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    All 99lbs from home workouts, Jillian Michaels, Turbo Fire, Fitness Blender and Be Fit workouts
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I've never stepped foot in a gym. I didn't lose 70lbs (I'd be dead) but there are tons of things you can do at home. You've got a good start with your DVD and bike. You can also make great progress with body weight workouts. Maybe you can buy more videos and equipment little by little as you progress. Check craigslist, people are always trying to get rip of exercise equipment.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have lost well over 100 and have literally not been inside a gym once. I do a lot of walking, some hiking when i can find time for long hikes, and ride a stationary bike at home. I have four kids, a full time job, and a firefighter hubby who is gone a lot. So I have to just fit in workouts when I can, and having to drive into town to go to a gym is just not easy to fit into my already crazy schedule!
  • JillyBadass
    JillyBadass Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have lost 45 so far, and my at-home workouts are led by Fitnessblender.com.

Free, online, full length workouts of every variety. Its done by a husband and wife, and they are completely awesome! They accept donations.
  • Keffinger22
    Keffinger22 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! And congratulations on your weight loss!!! Okay I am definitely going to get started on my DVD set :)
  • bbateman123
    bbateman123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have lost nearly 60 initially only doing home workouts. I invested about 50 bucks to get a pair of 15/10/5 and an exercise ball. There are tons of free workouts on youtube, weighted and otherwise.
  • shirtswiththumbholes
    shirtswiththumbholes Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have lost well over 100 and have literally not been inside a gym once. I do a lot of walking, some hiking when i can find time for long hikes, and ride a stationary bike at home. I have four kids, a full time job, and a firefighter hubby who is gone a lot. So I have to just fit in workouts when I can, and having to drive into town to go to a gym is just not easy to fit into my already crazy schedule!

That's amazing!! congrats!
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost 70. I have lost 25 though and all without a gym. I work fulltime and have a commute have two kids one 5 one 10 months and my bf works long hours. The only way I can make it work is by working out at home once I have gotten everyone settled at home and fed etc. for the night. I have used Turbo Fire and P90X and go on an occasional run outside. I have also done 2 5K obstacle courses. As long as you are determined all you will find a way to make it work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!