Replies

• gerirojas
    gerirojas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Cold orzo/quinoa salad made with canned beans (drained and rinsed), cooked orzo, cooked quinoa, diced pineapple, sliced onion & peppers, bacon bits and/or shredded cooked chicken breast. Add dark chili powder, salt and pepper to taste. Toss everything in olive oil and a splash of lemon juice. Refrigerate for at least six hours. Eat straight from bowl.
    Have no good ideas for dinner and need to go to the grocery store soon. It is so hot outside. What are your favorite meals to cook when it is hot outside? Want something healthy and delicious, obviously, and looking for ideas other than steak.

Thank you.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    any form of ceviche is great during the summer heat

ceviche2.jpg

omg I love ceviche! I always forget about it... I had it in Peru and fell in love :love:
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    Taco salad! Lots of veggies, meat, cheese....yum!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I cook some quinoa and add in some chopped chicken breast, some kale, zucchini, onions, and some curry. Toss it with a little EVOO and call it good. It's easy and the whole family actually eats it. They love it!
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I like to do chicken breast on the grill (I usually add spices or BBQ sauce just to keep it simple), with potato wedges thinly sliced on the grill (baste with EVOO, sprinkle on some fresh parmesan, add spices to taste, wrap 'em up in heavy duty aluminum, heat the grill up to high heat, then turn it down to low, flip the aluminum foil pouch every 5-8 minutes until cooked through) and then I'll do asparagus or corn on the cob on the grill. I love grilling when it's too hot out because I just can't stand cooking in a hot kitchen, but I also don't like eating out that much.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Hollow out a whole tomoato and either stuff it with Tuna salad or egg Salad
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Halo-Halo!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I had the best quick & cool dinner last night...
    Light English muffin, 1 wedge of Laughing Cow, 1/4 avocado sliced, 2 slices deli turkey (sliced thin), slice of raw onion, handful of arugula.
    It was delicious.. super easy, super quick.. best of all, less than 250 calories!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Spinach, strawberry, grilled chicken salad....MMMmmmmmmm!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Shrimp tacos with fresh salsa and avocado. Love all these great posts!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    - Prepare big batch of quinoa (about a cup of dry)
    - Drain and allow to cool (about 30 minutes)
    - Add olive oil, red wine vinegar and oregano (a little bit will do you. Just enough for everything to absorb, not swimming in the juice)
    - Chop a few English cucumbers and about a cup of cherry, grape or candy tomatoes and add to the mix.
    - Top with calamata olives and feta.

Serve cool, or warm if you prefer. Add a side salad with greek or French dressing. :)

Pairs well with tilapia!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Light English muffin, 1 wedge of Laughing Cow, 1/4 avocado sliced, 2 slices deli turkey (sliced thin), slice of raw onion, handful of arugula.
    It was delicious.. super easy, super quick.. best of all, less than 250 calories!

Why would you want your dinner to be under 250 calories?!

Sounds like a nice snack to me though.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Definitely greens and a vinaigrette of some sort. Maybe a beet salad also. I really like lamb kabobs on top of either of those things for a nice summer meal. In fact, I'm having that tonight! lol
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and black beans, bit of olive oil and some herbs...mix it up..love that.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options

Why would you want your dinner to be under 250 calories?!

Sounds like a nice snack to me though.

The sandwich itself is less than 250. Still have fruit and salad along with it. I go heavier on breakfast and lunch and very light on dinners. Plus if it's hot, for me anyway, I usually just want something light.