Motivation and Rewards

Options
We've all got our own little ways of motivating our selves, but I'm wondering - what's yours? On days where you're just NOT feeling it, when you have lost your willpower, what do you do to tell yourself to get your butt moving? What keeps you going when you want to quit?
Also - I'm horrible for rewarding myself with food. So I'd like to know, what do you reward yourself with when you reach a fitness goal? (note - although shopping is an awesome reward...it also makes me broke...so...not on the top of my list). We all know that seeing results should be reward enough, BUT it just isn't for me. What little ways do you reward yourself for a job well done?

Replies

• monica_reinert
    monica_reinert Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think my biggest motivation is being able to see the "calories burned" number increase on the exercise tab. I really try to burn 500 plus calories a day.

Rewards... Since I don't have extra funds to join a gym, I try to exercise with a lot of aerobic dvd's. Every 10lbs I buy myself a new one. I love when I get to try a new routine.
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't reward myself with food...that's my weakness!

I'm a thrifty shopper so when I reach a goal, I allow myself $20 to buy some new "old" clothes. So I end up with usually a few shirts, a skirt, and a pair of pants. :)

I also really enjoy doing crafts (sometimes a little too much) so I allow myself extra hours to make something or finish up a project if I reach a goal.

I guess when I'm just not feeling it, I look at all the pictures I took throughout the year. I take one almost once a week and I can start to see changes in myself. And then I tell myself that I don't ever want to go back to feeling blah and then I head out the door and tell myself I'll just run a mile...which becomes two and then three and so on!

Good luck with your fitness goals! :)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I use an app which is like putting money in a jar if I workout and keep under my goal. I then buy a charm for my bracelet when I get a certain number of 'coins'.
  • kellzi89
    kellzi89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My rewards vary... My last reward I bought a pair of shoes I had been eyeing off ( I got them on sale too!). Then it was to find a reason to wear those shoes so I went out with a girlfriend. I have done what I call healthy rewards, my friend and I pick an "organic"cafe or restaurant and go and try it out.
  • Shannyshan2120
    Shannyshan2120 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really dislike losing money so I put $20 in an envelope every other Sunday to start with, everyday I don't workout my husband takes $2 dollars out the envelope. I cringe at the thought. It's something new we're trying and this week it's worked no money lost.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The biggest rewards and motivators for me are hitting a new lifting PR and seeing new areas of muscle peeping through from under my fat layer. Both will bring a huge smile to my face and make me remember how worth it it is and why I put my body through it.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I really dislike losing money so I put $20 in an envelope every other Sunday to start with, everyday I don't workout my husband takes $2 dollars out the envelope. I cringe at the thought. It's something new we're trying and this week it's worked no money lost.

Good idea doing it that way.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I give myself a full at home spa day if I've worked out all week. A nice hot bath with a beer or glass of chilled white wine, candles, relaxing music, hair treatment, face mask, body wrap, manicure, pedicure! The works! It's such an amazing way to treat myself and really reward my body for a job well done. I make all my own products, and that's fun for me too. This gives me an excuse to make more.

I also have quotes on my fridge and pantry and the one that I look at all the time is

"Do not reward yourself with food. You are not a dog."

I still eat candies and cookies. I just licked the brownie batter from the bowl about 10 minutes ago! But I don't do it as a reward. Sometimes it's just a part of my day, sometimes not. But I do love the blog Chocolate Covered Katie so that I can making healthy desserts. I just don't feel like dinner is complete without dessert. Reward or no!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    well, i hear ya when you say you are broke, but i would still try to find a little extra money and reward yourself.

here is something i used to do many years ago (it worked):
    I used to stop on the way to work and buy a coffee and bagel almost every morning. (There are stupid emotional reasons why i did this - but it was a nasty habit that i wanted to stop). so one day i *wanted to but didn't* buy a bagel and coffee and i took that money and put it in a different compartment in my purse. and every time i *wanted to but didn't* - i would take that money and put it aside. when i had a nice little sum, i bought something - it doesn't have to be a big thing. Trendy earrings, new lip gloss, etc. this was a twofold motivation - (a) i fought the urge to eat something i shouldn't have eaten and (b) I didn't waste any additional money. win - win.
  • charlotteX92X
    charlotteX92X Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I like rewarding myself with video games. I like treating it as a trade off kind of thing, so when all I want to do is play my favourite game I say to myself if I run this morning I will let used play games right up to leaving for work or will play as soon as I get home from work. It works for me. If I force myself to workout I always reward myself with time to do what I want.
  • endlessloser
    endlessloser Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I created a little "list" of goals and rewards.

Basically every 5 pounds, I get to either:

- buy nailpolish (my addiction lol) - I don't let myself buy it now otherwise so it's good motivation :)

- give myself a "spa night" in my air tub, everyone is told to leave me alone LOL

Every 10 pounds, I get to buy myself either:

- a new top/pants/shorts
    - Victoria's Secret purchase :)

When I reach my half way goal, I get to buy a bunch of new clothes (cuz most things will be too big in my closet)
    When I reach my full goal, I get to buy a whole new wardrobe (hubby agrees I can!)

One thing about not having the funds to do shopping that worked for me when we were tight on funds:

I had a grocery budget, so say $100 for the week.
    I watched the sales like a hawk, bought only what was needed (allowed of course for a few treats for the family)

The agreement was, if there was anything left over from the budget, I got to keep it, and I put it in a savings jar.

When things got especially tight, sometimes I'd use that money for milk/food if the budget needed it, but other times I would allow myself to treat myself to something.

As moms, we tend to put ourselves last. It's taken me most of my kids lives (daughter is almost 18) to really finally stop putting myself last.

Also - "if" you could figure it out in the budget, maybe you could add in a $10 or $20/week "spending" money for you and your hubby, that way it's funds YOU can use for yourself, and NOT on the kids or on required food etc.

We started doing this a while ago and my hubby loves it, he sticks with a budget now and saves what he wants for himself, and I put mine aside for my clothes / nailpolish fund :) (Or, as in recently T25 LOL)
  • marcy_76
    marcy_76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My motivation is my kids. When I just don't want to get up off the couch, or I'm just not feeling it, they tell me, "C'mon mom. Let's go to the gym!"

Another motivation is to have someone always be there for you when you're just not feeling it. My mom, my sisters, and my hubby are my other motivators. I just give them a call and they'll tell me, "You know you'll feel better if you go and work out..." ect.

I use several different rewards for losing weight. I currently lost 4 pounds (not the 2 on my profile, cause I had GAINED weight). I treated myself to a nice hot bubble bath, complete with candles and music, and I did my own toes and fingernails.

Since I'm a little bit of a gamer, I use my games as a reward system. No games unless I've worked out that day. Or buy the new Sims pack with more weight loss.

Other ways to reward yourself without breaking the bank is to go to the local library and get a book or a movie you've always wanted-but never-watched/read. Our library also has CD's to check out.

My biggest reward is to tell others of a weight loss. Their smiles and hugs give me this extra boost and makes me feel so awesome about myself.
  • SteviePaige
    Options

This is a fantastic idea!! Thanks for sharing with us!
  • SteviePaige
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your little tips and tricks! :)
    I love that a lot of the suggestions involved baths, and at home manicures and pedicures! :)
    You are all great motivators! :)
  • theredwonder
    theredwonder Posts: 6 Member
    Options

"Do not reward yourself with food. You are not a dog."

Love this!