Swimmers' Ear

Options
BrianSharpe
BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
Now that summer is upon us I thought it timely to remind people of a simple, inexpensive way of treating / avoiding swimmers ear (especially for those of us swimming & diving in algae laden lakes & rivers)

Ear Beer (do not drink this stuff!!!)

1/3 white vinegar
1/3 rubbing alcohol
1/3 hydrogen peroxide

A few drops in each ear after swimming or diving as a prophylactic or, if you've already fallen victim a few drops morning and night in each ear should do the trick (if symptoms persist for more than a couple of days see your doctor.....)

Replies

• Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    This does not sound healthy.

A better option might be to just soak a cotton ball in Vaseline and use it as an ear plug. Or get a pair of real ear plugs. They sell them in most dollar stores.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't put that in your ear.
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've used rubbing alcohol after scuba diving for years. If you look at the stuff they sell at the drug store its mostly rubbing alcohol. I would guess hydrogen peroxide would work just as well. You're only putting it in the outer ear and the ear drum blocks it from the inner ear. Anything that kills the bacteria you pick up in the water would work.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    This sounds very similar to what my mother used to put in my ears as a child. (I suffered from chronic swimmers' ear and there was no ear plug on the planet that seemed to be capable of keeping that water out of my ears...sigh.)
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Or get a pair of real ear plugs. They sell them in most dollar stores.

Not an option for scuba divers - you need to be able to equalize as your depth changes.
  • PollyWolly98
    PollyWolly98 Posts: 112
    Options
    My 6 yr old just recovered from a terrible bout of Swimmer's Ear that resulted in her having antibiotic ear drops. After she recovered, the pediatrician recommended that the whole family add a few drops of Vinegar:Rubbing Alcohol (1:1) solution into our ears after swimming to help dry them out and prevent bacteria growth. The doc did not mention the peroxide. We have been using it and it definitely does help dry out your ears after swimming. After pulling my kid out of camp for a week and dealing with her screaming at night, I do not want to experience that again!
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    My 6 yr old just recovered from a terrible bout of Swimmer's Ear that resulted in her having antibiotic ear drops. After she recovered, the pediatrician recommended that the whole family add a few drops of Vinegar:Rubbing Alcohol (1:1) solution into our ears after swimming to help dry them out and prevent bacteria growth. The doc did not mention the peroxide. We have been using it and it definitely does help dry out your ears after swimming. After pulling my kid out of camp for a week and dealing with her screaming at night, I do not want to experience that again!

Some of my friends use that recipe too and it is very effective. The hydrogen peroxide adds antiseptic properties (but I wouldn't use it to disinfect a wound....or take it internally as some quacks are promoting)
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options

My 12 year old had the same and the antibiotics drops worked but it took a couple days dealing with the pain.. And she has issues with wax buildup and needs to use the softeners drops once a week.
    The Dr. said to use peroxide and / or rubbing alcohol to dry out her ears each time she went swimming but didnt mention the vinegar . I wonder if all 3 would work better. :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Please don't put stuff in your ears. Liquids, q-tips, etc. have no business being anywhere near your ears. They do make decent enough earplugs, just learn how to use them properly. Or just keep your head above the water if you are susceptible to ear infections.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Please don't put stuff in your ears. Liquids, q-tips, etc. have no business being anywhere near your ears. They do make decent enough earplugs, just learn how to use them properly. Or just keep your head above the water if you are susceptible to ear infections.

Agree 100% on the q-tips but why not liquids? When you swim or bathe water gets into your outer ear and earplugs are a no-no for scuba divers......
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

My 12 year old had the same and the antibiotics drops worked but it took a couple days dealing with the pain.. And she has issues with wax buildup and needs to use the softeners drops once a week.
    The Dr. said to use peroxide and / or rubbing alcohol to dry out her ears each time she went swimming but didnt mention the vinegar . I wonder if all 3 would work better. :)
    I've always had a problem with wax buildup and when I was a kid the doctor recommended a few drops of vegetable oil in each ear before bed. Works like a charm as long as you don't mind the clump of ear wax laying on your pillow when you wake up the next morning. :laugh: It's also a heck of a lot cheaper than buying something specifically for the problem.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Agree 100% on the q-tips but why not liquids? When you swim or bathe water gets into your outer ear and earplugs are a no-no for scuba divers......

Because your ears are pretty good at cleaning themselves. Shake the liquid out if it gets in your ears.

Can you explain what the rationale is behind mixing alcohol, peroxide and vinegar? What chemical effect are you trying to accomplish?
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    This is the same recipe my DR gave me and it works well. I get SE from just taking a bath, these drops have stopped me from suffering in pain for the past 4 years.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options

Because your ears are pretty good at cleaning themselves. Shake the liquid out if it gets in your ears.

Can you explain what the rationale is behind mixing alcohol, peroxide and vinegar? What chemical effect are you trying to accomplish?
    Swimmers ear is caused by bacteria growth from water being stuck in the ear canal. The alcohol helps dry things out the vinegar kills the bacteria and the peroxide helps get rid of it.

Some people like me have ear canals that are shaped in a way that make it almost impossible to remove water that finds its way in,