Obese babies

Options

Replies

• jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My child was measured at the 125 percentile within weeks of her birth.

FYI by definition no one can ever be at "125th percentile".

There are actually multiple methods of statistical average calculations and 125% percentile is indeed very possible.

But to my knowledge no child is categorized as being above the 100%, which is what she was referring to.
    No child is over the 99 percentile. To be in the 100th percentile the child would have to be heavier than 100% of the children his or her age, and that is impossible since he or she can never outweigh his or her self.

I want to see the paper that says this child was over the 125th percentile.... this is the DUMBEST thing I have read in the forums to date!
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't 'worry' about what you see or hear as all babies are different. I was born at 13lbs. I was three weeks late, but still was a big baby.

Now, if you are talking about the kids who are on the shows... then yes, worry. Kids adjust, grow and their weight distribution changes.

My niece is tall (she looks like shes 5 or 6,depending on who is guessing her age) and is 'heavy' to some, but again, she is tall for a 4 year old. Sure she eats junk from time to time, but shes not overfed.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I was over 10 pounds at birth. I was the smallest of my siblings. I also had a huge baby, and so did my siblings.

My child looked like the Michelin man before perfecting walking. She has visible 6 pack abs. Guess I did something wrong, according to your ligic? :flowerforyou:

Did I ever say that anyone did anything 'wrong'? It was a simple observation and opening for discussion. I am not 'shaming' anyone.
    You don't have to take my post as a personal insult to you.
    Butt cheeks not puckered together. Check. Guess I'm not butthurt.

Just because a baby is big doesn't determine their future. Read more into what I said.

And obviously you are shaming them when you make comments like being surprised that he's walking, or that he'll be 100 pounds by 3, and diabetic by 8.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm being too sensitive though...I guess I didn't realize that people would assume my just turned 4 year old daughter who is 41 lbs was obese. haha...since 5 year old boys are typically 34 lbs? Or how about my son who was 9.5 lbs when born...he must be clocking in at 40 lbs at 2, huh? He's actually a scrawny 21 lbs now:)

I'm not trying to be snide because I get your reaction it just seems a bit misdirected as "fat kids" instead of health/nutrition/parents:)

I don't think you're being sensitive. My 3 year old weighs 32 and she is in the 42% for her weight at her last check up. The OP is claiming that is this the average size for a 5 year old? That isn't correct. Also, Just because a 10 month old weighs 32lbs does not guarantee that the trend is going to continue. And it certainly does not mean the baby will weigh 100 lbs a couple years down the road. And diabetes by age 8?

Pretty sure the OP is trolling.

No, I am not trolling. And I am not judging this baby or his parents. I was simply very surprised at his weight at such a young age, and wondered if this was now the norm for babies. What better place to get the opinions and perspectives of other parents, than on the forums that I have been a part of for the past year.
    I have received some very respectful answers to my questions from most of the respondents here.

The fact that your child is 3 and weighs the same as the 10 month old in question, is the very reason that I was surprised.
    No need to have me drawn and quartered. It was a simple observation and question.

Childhood obesity HAS become an epidemic in this country, and this is the first generation that is expected to not outlive their parents. It is good to know from many of the posters here, that being at a high weight in infancy, doesn't automatically predict that they will be at an unhealthy weight later in life.

I have seen news reports of 4 yr olds that are over 100 pounds and already showing signs of diabetes, so I'm not completely off-base in my concern.

You say that your not judging the baby or its parents then why did you need to specifically point them out on this forum? Why do you need to make sweeping statements to say that this 10 month old is destined to weigh 100 pounds by the time he is in preschool? Why say he will have diabetes by age 8? You feel that was a respectful way to post your concern about childhood obesity?

I am completely judging the parent even if my mother was not. She was easily obese and referred to her husband as huge. I was obese for several years until I learned to eat healthy as were most of the people on this site. But guess what, weight can be lost and eating habits can be changed. After doing it myself and finding out that the only truly hard part is to just do it, it makes me a bit upset to see that this 10 month old baby is likely headed down the same path that it's parents are on. Had I been diligent about eating properly and exercising from the time I was in high school I would never had gotten to an obese bmi or gone to the hospital on Thanksgiving for a gallbladder attack due to my excessively fatter diet.

When you see a kid heading to a weight that caused you years of agony, unnecessary stretchmarks, and god knows how many times crying at the clothing store because nothing fits, you might get a little upset about it. I let my "tiny" daughter eat sweets, snacks, even french fries IN MODERATION along with a balanced diet and she is no where near the size of this kid. Sure she may be small but only compared to these other babies. I think 20 yeas ago she would have been in the 50th percentile and that the scales are most definitely being skewed buy this idea that overfed babies are cute.

You have no idea what that baby will weigh later in life. I am obese but only 1 of my 4 kids are. They all were about 30 pounds at 1 year, and only one of them is obese. His pediatrician believes that at some point he didn't get enough to eat which is causing him to overeat now. He gained weight when I had to go to work and had the night shift. I don't know what happened for sure, but I am working hard to make sure he gets down to a healthy weight. I do worry about the him, but I think making a judgement that a child will be obese based on one chance encounter and the weight at one year old is pretty gutsy. All 4 of my kids weighed 30-35 pounds at one year. Then didn't gain weight for another year. I have a daughter who is 5 ft 2 and a son who is 6 ft. and two kids who are still growing- one is supposed to be 6 ft 4, and the other will probably be 5 ft. If you looked at me and my husband all of my kids shouldn't over 5 ft 6. Judging kids based on a one time meeting is ridiculous. The grand daughter of the op is very tiny for her age and the other baby is on the big side. Will it be the same years down the road, who knows?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say the OP surprises me but it does not in the slightest. When I was a child there were almost no overweight children. When my children were young it was still not the norm for children to be overweight, but every school class had a few. Now, when I look at my grandchildren's classes and the children of my nieces and nephews, at least half are overweight and several would qualify as obese.

And even more disturbing is how little concern the parents have about them being heavy.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 27 months and weighs 25 lbs. I can't imagine having a 10 month old at 35 lbs. It will take my daughter at least another year and a half before she reaches that size. My daughter was also huge at birth (over 10 lbs.)
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    A female friend of mine was always bragging about how "big" her daughter was, until she turned 12 and the friend realized how fat her child was, not big. The poor child struggled with self esteem until she slimmed down at age 16.

I think many parents consider it a badge of honor to have big children, and I'm not speaking about tall.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    My son was off the charts his entire infancy. Clothes were exactly twice the age he was (e.g., at 3mos he was in 6mos; at 9 mos he was a 2T, etc). He outgrew the carrier car seat at 4 months old (that goes up to 20 lbs!) I can guarantee you he probably weighed 25-30 lbs at 1 year old. Oh... he just turned 9, is over 5 foot tall and weighs 105 - which is basically the size of a 12 or 13 year old.

Without knowing the height of the cashier or the baby's father, it's a little harsh to judge based on weight. For my son, it's genetics. My hubby is 6'4" and I was always head and shoulders above everyone in school (although I came to a screeching halt in 5th grade). Some kids are just big.
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters that stated babies come in all shapes and sizes. While all three of my children have been tall for their age, my two boys were especially chunky. My oldest was mainly formula fed and my youngest was solely breastfed until solids were introduced, so that really made no difference. My daughter had rolls also, just to a smaller degree.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    We have friends who are very large framed, not obese at all, just big people, and their kids were very large even at birth. They will probably continue to be very large. I agree that there are plenty of people whose children are obese, not all kids at the high end of the charts are that way because they are obese though.
  • KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Every baby is different! It does not mean that the baby is obese, maybe the baby is tall. I have had two large babies. My 6 month old weighed 10lbs 4 ozs when he was born and he's about 20lbs now. And that was all done by breast feeding. He's not obese he's healthy! He's a tall baby with tall parents. Once he starts walking and becoming more active his weight will even out.. I hear it everyday, that he's big for his age. But I have big babies, my mom had big babies, my 90 lb grandmother had three boys all born over 10lbs. Genetics have a big play in the size of your children. Judging this woman and baby without even knowing this woman's background is a little harsh. Like I said every baby is different. Some women have small babies some large.
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I also have a "big" kid, who is perfectly porportionate and not even a little overweight (although he certainly could've been called that in his pre-crawling stage!) We've all seen the horrific "feeding a 6-month-old fast food" videos, but it would be better not to jump to judgemental conclusions. Since my husband and I are overweight (and shrinking, btw!), I can see how someone could've made the same mistake and judged us unfairly a few months ago, but they would've been wrong, as my son was eating breastmilk only, and just needed time to "stretch out", which he did. Judging others generally isn't helpful, constructive or nice. Even if you're right, it doesn't accomplish anything. Just sayin'.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    possibly, I always see babies with rolls and lots of chub these days ,my daughters are just the opposite , For instance my oldest turning 3 Aug 10th is 33.5 inches and weighs 26 lbs 5% for both they said she has evened out , people always think she's younger. her sister is just shy of 17 months and is 21 lbs and 30.5 inches tall 25% for height and 12% for weight and 8lbs 6oz at birth who would have thougth ?...

i'm use to having petite children but others think my oldest is very petite ill admit height wise yes but weight wise no she's healthy and extremely active.

I'm 4ft 10 husbands 5ft 11 so seems to me they are taking after me.

I don't t know anymore, I have only seen one child ever where I felt they weighed to much for their age and height, a little girl around 2 she was wearing shorts and there was no definition between her calf and foot, poor girl had Cankels sorry couldn't find better term, and it looked like it was hard for her to walk , I wanted to cry.. All because she had to much weight on her tiny body . I wanted to take the people with her and( smack them upside the head ) ask them why ?

Only one who will pay for this is the little girl. children eat what you give them especially when they are little. Just be careful a little chubbiness isn't a huge deal but obese is not .

My best friend has a boy who is 9 days younger than my oldest and is 40 lbs and 40 in I think wear a 5T or 6T or bigger haven't seen him in a bit hes a big boy a little chubby but nothing to worry about, He has been growing at a considerable rate since birth only 7lbs 6 oz at birth his mother is 5ft 1in and her husband is 5ft 10.

He weighed less than my oldest at birth its sort of funny actually. You never know .
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I think the pediatrician is an *kitten* for saying that obese babies are throwing off the curve. That's got nothing to do with it.

My daughter was in the 10th percentile for height and weight as a newborn, infant and toddler. The doctor explained that as long as the percentile for height and weight were both similar, there was no reason for concern. She's now 11 years old and right at the 50th percentile.

Without knowing the height of the cashier's child, there simply is no way to comment on it.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    6cc9caafd7d40e420405d1bba61372ff1304399256_full.jpg
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Why on Earth would they adjust the size and weight ranges to accommodate obesity? Isn't the purpose to validate the health of the child?
  • amlyrod
    amlyrod Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That does seem heavy for a 10 month old. I had a big baby. He was 22 1/2 inches long and 9 lbs 15 oz at birth. He has always been above the 90th percentile on both height at weight. He turned 2 in June and is 37 inches tall, and 32 lbs (he is very active). A lot has to do with genetics in our case. My husband is 6'1, and broad shouldered. His dad was 6'7. It does make me sad to see children who are very overweight. i am overweight but working on losing. I make sure my son eats well rounded meals, and we don't keep junk like candy or snack cakesat the house for snacks. He has crackers, fruit, string cheese, etc.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    My daughters have always been at the bottom of the weight charts with their pediatricians being very happy about that. They're quite active, eat well, and are incredibly healthy. I usually laugh at the comments about them being "skinny," as they're usually from people who are obese themselves and clearly clueless enough to make such a comment in the first place.

my sons pediatrician said almost the exact same thing at his check up in june (he's 10...my kid, not the pediatrician).

people think the healthy weight kids are "too thin" now because child obesity is becoming more "normal".

crazy.

unless, of course, theyre bulking.

37362599.jpg
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. My daughter was 8lbs 14oz 18" long at birth... (pretty round) by her first birthday she fell to the 5th percentile and was 17lbs... She looked pudgy though. She went to kindergarten weighing in at 28lbs and in grade 5 was still light enough to require a booster seat in the car by law. Today she is 5 feet tall and 105 lbs... perfectly proportioned and entirely different than anyone in our family as far as stature. It's just how things work out.
    I hope for the baby's sake that he will grow into himself, but we should not judge.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I find this whole thread a little sad. Most posts seem to be parents justifying why their children were fat. Everyone seems to have overweight children with some perfectly reasonable and healthy reason for being overweight. But, what are the odds of that? And what has changed in the past 40 years that caused all these special circumstances? Other than our perspective on weight, I mean.
This discussion has been closed.