One Calf Bigger Than The Other?!

Options
I've recently discovered one of my calves is bigger than the other.. this is rather devastating.

Is this normal? or am I putting too much weight on one leg when working out and not the other?

edit to add, it's not a small difference either, it's nearly 1inch!!

Replies

• CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have one calf bigger than the other...and one arm that's bigger than the other, and one boob that's bigger than the other, and one foot that's bigger than the other! In fact, pretty much everything on my right side is a bit larger than my left.

I think it's pretty normal, especially in the case of limbs, since most people have a dominant side.

Edited to add: Yea, my right arm is an entire inch larger than my left too haha! It seems noticable to me, but I'm pretty sure no one else can tell at all.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I ruptured my achilles (right) in 1996 and despite it healing completely, the calf and thigh have never been the same size as the 'good' leg since the surgery. It has never been a problem in terms of my running but I will admit that sometimes I look at my legs and it seems odd. I don't know if it was like that before the injury. Never gave it any thought.

I suspect you could try and build up the smaller leg by using the weight machines independently, but if it isn't bothering you I probably wouldn't worry about it.
  • RozSievert
    Options
    It is normal to have one side of your body larger than the other as previously stated. However something to keep in mind with legs or arms, keep track of noticeable swelling, tenderness or pain in the limb that is larger. This could be a sign/symptom of deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
  • davidmg1982
    davidmg1982 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    With exercise this becomes more prominent. Its normal.

For every weight exercise you do for your calves, add 2 reps on you weaker calf, this works really good, but takes time.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yes normal.