Anyone tried pole dancing??

Options
Anyone lost weight doing pole dancing... Looks really fun and good for toning up and losing weight.

Replies

• shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    At the beginner level it's not tremendously useful, but once you pass that into the intermediate level and advanced levels it is about as grueling as you can get with body weight alone.

(Edit: dated a girl for a while that... anyways.) Although I'd say it's a bit disproportionate on what it exercises, mostly core/lower body far more than upper body.

1CnG2J4.gif

has always impressed me... most people lack the flexibility and strength and it's not something you'll build overnight.

Both of these are of Felix Cane... there is no nudity, but it's a professional pole dancing who is quite skilled and quite strong, that said they're probably not safe for work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GGik2Pnt-E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jJ5BUMN140
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've done some pole work but I haven't danced with one yet
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I take a two hour pole class every Sunday. I absolutely love it! It's done wonders for my upper body strength. When I started I couldn't do a single push-up without feeling like I was going to die. Now I can do 10-12 with my feet elevated on a workout bench.

I've also lost almost 20 pounds, but that's been mostly diet.
  • granitendirt
    Options
    I went to a strip club up in Portland for "Stripparoke". I was in complete awe at what some of the women were able to do - they are athletes. I respect.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I actually have a pole in my house, a friend got it for me a few yrs ago as a joke LOL. I have it all set up and have a go now and then. Sure it is fun, but i prefer my gym workouts.
  • KiwiJewels
    KiwiJewels Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Did a pole dancing class once... I was USELESS! haha No upper body strength to speak of... I could "see" myself doing it, because it looked like awesome fun, but while the mind was willing, the body was weak! lol I think it would be good for strengthening, and a good way to mix things up if you like variety in your workouts and prefer something different to weights at the gym. It certainly is impressive done well! You could also try some sort of dancing :-) Great aerobic workout and so fun you don't even realise you're exercising. Also you would be better able to utilise the skills you had learnt in public *grin*
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Also- most of the people I've known who did pole dancing seriously also weight trained as well. ymmv.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Also- most of the people I've known who did pole dancing seriously also weight trained as well. ymmv.

That's one of the reasons I started weight training. You're not going to master a Shoulder Mount with neoprene dumbbells! :wink:
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it, but it seems like so much fun! I am starting some strength straining now, because there is no way I could do these kind of awesome moves where I am right now, but once I get some upper body strength I am so trying this out!!
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I used to take classes at Aradia fitness. in an hour long class, you do half an hour of pole, and half an hour of floor work (stretching, push ups, core work, etc.)

they break it down into several six week courses (one class a week) and I did up to level 4 - which is when you start doing inverts (flipping upside down).
    I had ZERO upper body strength, and it definitely improved during that time, and I for sure lost weight.

I think adding in a weekly class along with a regular gym routine of weights and cardio would be an amazing workout.
  • ashleachrysafis
    Options
    I know strength is needed (I think I've got that) and I also did gymnastics for 10 years so hopefully that will help but am wondering if it will change my body and help me lose weight?
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Most of the women i've seen pole dancing just **** their leg round the pole and pop their groin around for a bit. Can't see that being very good exercise.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Most of the women i've seen pole dancing just **** their leg round the pole and pop their groin around for a bit. Can't see that being very good exercise.

Really? You don't think this looks like exercise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6KnUW9N3Zo
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I had girls night out once and we went to a Pole Dancing lesson....HOLY HECK - that was intense. While I'm not sure one can lose weigh in the intial start up - It does take a LOT of strength. I had bruises in places that should never have a bruise.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

clearly you've never seen quality pole dancing

Jenna Butterfly is amazing

There is another one where she does a front lever walk down.

Can you do that? I agree with the poster above- upper level pole is EXTREMELY difficult and requires a great deal of dedication and strength. Seriously. It's fracking work.

I can't do it- A. I don't have time. B. I bruise if you LOOK at me aggressively- and a lot of that upper work requires your skin friction on the pole- I'd look like an abuse victim in seconds. I run into tables and look like I've been beaten. It's shameful.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I loved it. It really improved my upper body strength. At first I hated it because I felt like I couldn't do it, but after going through how to do it, and what to do..it gets easier! I ended up getting my own pole, but I don't use it much now that I'm doing other exercises, and it's kind of in the way and looks awkward.

If you do it, you will love it!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I use to be a stripper
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i pole danced once, but it wasn't with the pole to which you are talking about. :wink:
  • babyfat6969
    babyfat6969 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    actually i live in Barrie , Ontario , Canada and the new big thing here is "Flirty Girl Fitness" working out with a pole .
    My friends that have done it have dropped pounds super fast , i recommend it , its fun my friends come back smiling .
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I use to be a stripper

I thought you still were. Damn . . . mislead again.