Going over on protein... does it matter?

Options
lcyfrn
lcyfrn Posts: 121 Member
I am just wondering if it effects weight loss if I go over on my protein allowance? I don't seem to have a day where I don't! xxx

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    you might get a little backed up if you aren't balancing it with enough fats... but your body is limited in how much protein it can process at once- mostly you're just going to spit it out the other end.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    MFPs protein allowance is very small. I adjusted my goals to reflect my personal preference for protein, carbs and fats.
  • Lambchop12345
    Lambchop12345 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Same here! Trying to eat more fish and I can't seem to stay under.
  • LoudNF
    LoudNF Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As long as you are hitting your minimum daily requirement of protein and fat you can fill the rest of your calories as you see fit without going over your daily calories.

Protein is even more important when doing weight training and intense cardio to repair the muscle broken down.
  • younginaz
    younginaz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Good question. I have been wondering that myself. My nutritionist told me it didn't matter, but I am curoius as to what people on this site have to say.
  • CycleFlow
    CycleFlow Posts: 55
    Options
    I feel that MFP underestimates slightly low levels of protein... estimate somewhere between 0.5g and1g per pound of body weight... depending on goals.

I normally hit MFP protein estimate well before dinner.

It also depends on your body and how you feel - some people are carb types and can live with higher carb levels and less protein. Other people need more protein and less carbs.

If you feel like you are passing out immediately after a meal you probably had too many carbs...if you are good for about half hour - 45 min then feel super tired might be too much protein...
    Think about how your body feels if you are feeling good after you eat and strong in your works outs its probably fine... if you are feeling as above, readjust.

:D
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    you might get a little backed up if you aren't balancing it with enough fats... but your body is limited in how much protein it can process at once- mostly you're just going to spit it out the other end.

What are you talking about???
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The MFP protein goal is a joke, it's way too low. You never have to be concerned with going over your protein goal, because any protein consumed above the amount required for muscle synthesis will just be used as energy, the way carbs and fats are, so there is no harm. In addition, protein has the added benefit of keeping you full and satisfied, which is why high protein diets are beneficial on a calorie deficit.
  • JoRocka
    Options

What are you talking about???

I could be wrong but everything I read supports your body has a hard time processing a certain amount of protein in one sitting. Something like 30-40 grams- varies per person at once otherwise it's unused/wasted.

I know for me- when I was eating 200 grams a day- but not upping my fat- I was seriously having bathroom issues. including more fat- had no issues- that of course is a YMMV.

But my marcros are 40/40/20 P/F/C- I changed mine- for the reason you listed- MFP is a joke. So I like eating a stupid amount of protein. nom nom nom BACON!! STEAK. LOL
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but everything I read supports your body has a hard time processing a certain amount of protein in one sitting. Something like 30-40 grams- varies per person at once otherwise it's unused/wasted.

that is false!
  • angieochoa1201
    Options
    I feel so much fuller when I get in lots of protein so I haven't really worried about going over as long as its lean protein
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't matter if you go over - as long as total calories are not consistently way over. Going over on protein is much better than being under. It is very important to get enough.

I rarely hit my numbers exactly (even though I customize my goals) & it doesn't bother me at all. It certainly has not hurt my progress. A little over or under is fine. I think not having the exact same calories & macros every single day is actually better for fat loss.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You should just change your macros goals so you don't see red.
  • JoRocka
    Options

that is false!

It's possible. I have read that that is the case- but that doesn't reason well with IF style diets.

Id' say more often than not most people eat through out the day- and space their food out. Either way- the bodies typical response to things it cannot process is to just flush it out.