I've gained weight

Options

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of 'homemade' food entries. Did you actually make these meals yourself or are using 'generic' MFP food entries of someones existing homemade recipes and calling it 'good enough'?

For example 'veggie spring roll, 1 roll'. Is this homemade? Did YOU make it? Is it from a restaurant? Is it frozen from a box?
  • JerZRob
    JerZRob Posts: 68
    Options
    I didn't start losing weight until I got a food scale. I was way off on my guesses.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: i went back and looked at your diaries! i noticed you eat a lot of carbs, fat & foods that turn into sugar! you may want to increase your fresh veggies more & leave the carbs off a little! you also may want to measure your foods at first to get a feel of what a serving looks like! hopefully this may help!
  • britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this does not account for your stall in weight loss, but two things caught my eye on your diary, the calories for the orange juice and the fried potatos seemed low. A quick input on 1 c. fried potatos (in light oil) came up on MFP as 240 calories, as compared to your entry & since one medium orange (not the juice) is 60 cals, I wouldn't know what to enter. Make sure you enter your calories correctly.

These are really good points. OP has a cup of homemade fried potatoes showing up at 20 calories - that's off by 10x. Whole bunch of homemade entries. Non-standard or unlikely serving sizes (0.25 bowl of noodles, 1/8 cup mac n cheese, 1 tbsp trail mix).

OP isn't eating particularly low calories to start with. Simple calculation errors or bad MFP entries (there are a lot) could put her at maintenance calories, which would be entirely consistent with her results.

I think this is your answer, OP. You need to be more careful about recording calories. Since you aren't eating at at giant deficit (not recommended, so good job!) you don't have a ton of wiggle room, so you have to log accurately. Digital food scale + less generic entries + For the love of all that is good and holy don't stop weight training, bc that's not the problem. Would be my advice. You don't need to cut out carbs. Check out the Eat, Train, Progress group as someone else mentioned. Friend me if you like! Good luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Muscle weighs more than fat. If you are working out you are gaining muscle.....measure yourself since you are likely losing inches as you gain muscle mass.

Nope....

Muscle Mass is EXTREMELY hard to gain, especially enough to stop a scale, and pretty much impossible in a caloric deficit.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. First thing I saw was enough for me to answer your question. You had 1 cup home made potatoes cooked in oil - you had it logged as 20 calories and 17 grams of protein. WHAAAAAAT?

You need to get more precise with your tracking. You are likely eating way more than you think.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hi - some thoughts...

First, a pound is a pound - it does not matter whether it is muscle or fat - the fat takes up more room. (I read the opposite in someone's reply).

Second - Try to vary your exercise routine, if you are doing the same thing, your body gets used to it, and even if you are "burning calories" - your body isn't using it the same way.

Also, I read that if you are plateauing, you should allow yourself a day or two of indulging and then go back to your regular diet consumption of fewer calories (I think that was Jillian MIchaels). I am in a gain/plateau/lose/plateau phase myself, so I understand your frustration. I haven't looked at your diary, but I would see how much sugar you are ingesting...even from fruit - I tend to eat a bunch of fruit everyday and my sugar level is over based on that (even if I don't splurge on ice cream;) I would measure everything, get a kitchen scale for your food too. Just to make sure that you haven't been inadvertently misjudging your portions. Are you eating too much processed foods? Are you eating the right kind of fats?

Also check to make sure that the food nutrition/calories on MFP is correct - I have noticed many discrepancies...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have trained many women and in my experience I feel weight lifting should be done when you have lost weight you want and need to tone up gain muscle I am a fan of lean muscle look and this is my opinion but many women love results when they do that. Up your cardio now weights later!

Why would you want to train away muscle mass to go through the work of trying to put it back on, which is extremely difficult?
    When you eat at a deficit, you lose muscle as well as fat. Strength training while eating at a deficit helps prevent some of that loss and preserves muscle tissue. This helps to preserve metabolism and get more appealing end result after weight loss. Not sure why anyone would want to diet/cardio train their muscle away then work to build it back after it's gone?

^^^I would take this advice all day everyday.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I have trained many women and in my experience I feel weight lifting should be done when you have lost weight you want and need to tone up gain muscle I am a fan of lean muscle look and this is my opinion but many women love results when they do that. Up your cardio now weights later!

Wow that sound like great advice, lose some muscle while dieting and not doing weights, so they have to stay with you to put muscle on afterwards (which is harder and takes time). Excellent business plan. Crap advice for the op. :noway:
  • rachvale
    rachvale Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    See the problem with my food entries is that I'm not sure what is going in my food. I'm currently volunteering with a Buddhist community and they provide my meals for me. Which are all vegetarian and made-from scratch. I usually get estimates from our chefs but they aren't exactly weighing everything themselves. The only thing that's in my control is portions portions and portions! And of course, what I eat....
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Hi,

Muscle weighs more than fat. If you are working out you are gaining muscle.....measure yourself since you are likely losing inches as you gain muscle mass. Also check your carbohydrate intake. I've had weight loss surgery so it's different for me, but as a normal person you should keep your carbs under 100g a day. I have to keep mine around 40g or less or I literally gain. Carbs are evil and since they turn to sugar which makes the body produce insulin....it can make us get hungrier, sooner than we should Try eating high protein, and low carb!!! See if that helps and definitely measure yourself so you won't feel so down when the stupid scale goes up! Hang in there. You're doing great!!

Janine Alfke

NO :angry:

Carbs are not evil.

You need to track correctly with a food scale no more guessing and estimating. And don't drop the weights. Your body will thank you for it when you reach your goal with the majority of your lbm intact.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    See the problem with my food entries is that I'm not sure what is going in my food. I'm currently volunteering with a Buddhist community and they provide my meals for me. Which are all vegetarian and made-from scratch. I usually get estimates from our chefs but they aren't exactly weighing everything themselves. The only thing that's in my control is portions portions and portions! And of course, what I eat....

Ok that makes it harder.
  • britzzie
    Options

That's a very admirable thing to do, OP! So...yea...that makes things a little difficult. Do they provide every one of your meals, every day?
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I recommend to do some fun reading on Metabolic damage, water weight retention and refeed meals (while on calorie deficit).
  • rachvale
    rachvale Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    They provide lunch and dinner Monday - Saturday. And I usually eat leftovers on Sunday.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight, it means you eat too much. Eat 25% less than now, and you should see a difference.
  • estielouise
    estielouise Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    loads of bad advice on here, loads of good advice too! that trainer who said quit weights is not very well informed, doing weights and lifting shreds fat and builds lean mass! my trainer says so! eat clean, allow yourself a treat or two each week, always eat at least 1200+ calories net (depending on your current height and weight you maybe need more! but never below). Change your workouts do several different things, cardio wise I do zumba, HIIT, yoga, swimming, etc then I do strength training once or twice a week. hopefully this should help a little - good luck. It is hard everyones different it takes time, I have lost 10lbs since January, I thought it would be more, but my IBS, makes it a little harder for me. I have been plateauing for a month now, and after reading mfp, and with help from people on here, this is the same advice I am now passing on to you
  • britzzie
    Options
    They provide lunch and dinner Monday - Saturday. And I usually eat leftovers on Sunday.

I think that for as long as this will be the case, you should reduce your calorie goal by 100/200 calories per week and eat under/at it. Continue to log how you have been. I think that what you've been eating has more calories than your logging, but considering the situation that's not your fault. You will start to lose, eventually.
  • caseyljacobson
    Options
    It can be tricky to track calories in homemade food from someone else, but if you can find out what they put in the food, and how much of each, you should be able to do some research on the internet (or use the recipe tool on mfp) to figure out how many calories are in each dish. Then it's a matter of portion control. I've even taken measuring cups to a frozen yogurt place just so I can see how much a serving size is.

A food scale is extremely helpful, especially with breads. Breads, rices, pastas, etc., are tracked most accurately by weight. The low calorie slices of bread have fewer calories because each slice weighs less, as the loaf is "proofed' more than the denser breads. But if you compare the calories by the weight of each slice, they are fairly similar.

Also look into how much of "2 oz dry pasta" weighs after it is cooked. (It goes up to about 5 oz.) And 1/3 cup of dry rice equals about 3/4 cup cooked.

It takes some time, and sometimes a lot of research, but once you get your food diary on track, you will start seeing results.

Good luck!
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    For the two writers above, think about what you two just said ... A pound of muscle weighs one pound. A pound of fat weighs one pound. Period.

However, a pound of muscle is denser so takes up more space, i.e. smaller in size. A pound of fat is fluffy and well, fat - and takes up more space.

Weight training increases the amount of lean muscle in your body, and thus increases your metabolism over the long term. Weight training also helps counteract the possibility of muscle loss experienced through calorie deficits. Cardio burns calories and uses up the glycogen in your body to help your body move into fat burning mode during your exercise session. Best bet is a combination of both. Find some weight training routines that combine exercises into "super sets" which keep you moving and keep your heart rate up, or routines that use a lot of body weight exercise which also keep your heart pumping. On non-weight lifting days, focus on High Intensity Interval Training followed by 15 minutes or so of steady state cardio.

Just remember that as you are burning fat, but also adding muscle, your body is replacing one for the other so you might not see the results on the scale right away ... Keep up the good work. You are reshaping your body from the inside out and eventually you will start to see the results of your hard work on the outside too!