birth control and weight gain?!?! HELP!!!!!

Options
So I have been on bc pills for about three years now. In that time I have gone from 150lbs to 205lbs at 5'7 a pant size 7 to 13 with no diet change except for actually dieting more.. before birth control I ate how ever I wanted and would only gain 5-10 lbs, which I would be able to drop with no issue. At one point I got to 170 took phentermine n got down to 145 no exercise just dieting. Since pill I feel I gain 5 lbs after just eating a burger I have tried phentermine again, advocare, other diets, I exercise don't ever drink sodas or eat sweets and can't seem to lose more than a lb!!! My weight just keeps creeping up with no diet change. I had my thyroid tested and it came back normal.... I've been on lo loestrin fe and my gyno finally said to just completely stop taking it as she thinks it could be the culprit. I'm only 22yrs old. ANY ADVICE PLS?!?!

Replies

• britzzie
    britzzie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Birth control can cause weight gain. Or so I've heard.

I think the more likely culprit is that you've been taking diet pills and doing cleanses, and those things don't work in the long term and can damage your metabolism.

What I'd do (you probably won't like it):

1. Go to: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

2. Eat the calories that it tells you for TDEE for one month. Log accurately. Weigh and measure. Every bite. No pills. Don't eat back exercise calories.

3. The next month, cut your calories by 10%. See if you start to lose. Excercise is also a really good thing.

4. The next month, if you are losing at an healthy rate, keep going. If you aren't cut your calories to 15% of starting number.

5. The next month, if you still aren't losing weight, it could be the birth control. Talk to your doc again.

Now I'm no doc or anything. I just know you'll have to pry my hormonal birth control from my cold, dead hands. Or rather, menopausal, sweaty ones. I'd do everything I could to rule that out as the culprit before I just gave it up.
  • haley1297
    haley1297 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks I will try that like I said I don't know if its the pills or my metabolism has just comoletely died off but the only reason I started biryh control in the beginning is just for a lighter period n now for protection against pregnancy. Luckily I had always gotten regular periods and never had an acne problem until here recently :\
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I gained on the pill and went to my Doctor to change. He said the pill merely increases your appetite, and thats the contributing factor.

Do I believe it? I'm not sure. I think I always ate the same before I went on them. But never mind, I'm losing now and still on it! So calorie counting seems to be a winning method for me.
  • haley1297
    Options
    What birth control are you taking??
  • lovelaughrun
    lovelaughrun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been on BC for 5 years. I gained weight because I was eating far too much and especially bad foods.
    Lost 10 kilos so far and been on the pill the whole time. Check if your BC is messing with your hormones because I belive that can hinder weight loss
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for about 8 years now. I have gained weight since I started taking them at 18, but it wasn't BECAUSE of the pills. I gained weight because I paid absolutely no attention to what or how much I was eating. I have heard that the pills can increase your appetite, which in turn makes you eat more. I'm still on the pill and have had no problem losing weight. My advice is to log everything you eat so you know exactly what you're putting in your body. Once I started counting calories, I realized immediately how much I was really consuming, and that changed everything.
    But if you're really concerned about the pills and the effects they might be having on your body, don't hesitate talk to your doctor about it.
    Either way, I say lay off the diet pills/restrictive eating, as those can definitely cause issues.
  • emlott88
    emlott88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Also, there are SO many options out there that you can always try different ones? They like to keep you on the lowest hormonal dose possible.

I started getting worried about Yasmin as it has a diuretic in it, so I'm swapping out for nuvaring. Who knows if it will be the best option for me, but I may as well try, right?!

Just go to your doctor and say you aren't happy with what you're on - they'll change it up for you. Just DON'T go on the depo injection, all I've ever heard from girls I know is that they pack on the pounds with it.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i gained weight on the pill cause i graduated college, became more sedentary, and had money to buy better food, go out to eat, and turned 21 and enjoy drinking a few nights a week. i ALSO lost weight on the pill when i started lifting weights, watching my diet, cutting back grains/carbs, limiting my drinking, and started participating in more non drinking activities.

the pill for me makes my period almost non-existant and gets rid of PMS and related cravings. if you honestly look into things and think you gained all that weight from the pill alone you might want to get yourself to the doctors and have your thyroid and hormone levels checked.

edit- i would also advise EATING! diet pills and all that super low calorie stuff will only set you up for failure in the long run. i am 5'5 150 lbs and a size 6 (i lift weights, im heavy, but low bodyfat) and i eat about 2000 calories a day, everyday. depending on your activity level i would suggest starting to eat your TDEE -15% or at least 1700 calories.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    .... the pill merely increases your appetite, and thats the contributing factor.

This. It's still a calorie surplus that leads to weight gain on bc. Eat at a deficit and you will lose weight. Be sure to weigh and measure food accurately and log everything.
  • haley1297
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have been only eating about 1600 calories a day and watching my carbs, sodium and fat intake on this calorie counter app... maybe I will just try working out more. I just feel it is impossible to drop the weight. Hopefully I will get my thyroid results back soon, I went ahead and had them tested again!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    AFAIK, birth control doesn't make you gain weight

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110119141901.htm