Physical therapy...

Options
I injured my back and had to have surgery. I have been off my exercise routine for a month and now I am very limited on what I can do. I will be seeing a physical therapist 2 to 3 times a week. What should/can I log it under?

Replies

• Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am also in PT right now. I'm 4 months out from having a multilevel cervical spinal fusion (C4-C7). I haven't logged my PT because I really only do some neck, shoulder and posture exercises. The only thing I might do that could burn a few calories is the arm bike.

Do you know what types of exercises you'll be doing at PT? I'm not sure what you could log this under. Do you have a HRM? I bought one after surgery to see how much I was actually burning while walking on the treadmill. I use mine all the time. Maybe that could be helpful for you? Anyways, good luck to you and I wish you a speedy recovery.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    My sister does what amounts to core strengthening exercises to support her bent (sideways) spine. So that would be calisthenics I guess)
    But from what I hear from my other sister (who is a physio therapist) it can include all sorts of exercises, including swimming and weights. Just see what you end up doing and log the closest thing to it. Or, wear a HRM and create your own exercise category.
  • hafbreed02
    hafbreed02 Posts: 28
    Options
    log it all...it creates a roadmap as to where you've been recovery wise......I am in PT weekly trying to get Laminectomy approved, (L5-S1) herniation with nerve compression that causes left foot to go completley numb while driving....it takes time, but you can regain most if not all your activities from building a strong core and lower back.
  • iheartmy1dog
    iheartmy1dog Posts: 207
    Options
    I just started PT for my hip... I'm logging it under strength exercises. I don't really think of it as exercise that burns calories for me but I wanted to keep a record that showed I did it and on what days
  • AccordingtoMeg
    AccordingtoMeg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My physical therapy will include core strengthening, leg strengthening, and back exercises. I am just starting so it is minimal. Did pelvic lifts, leg lifts with different variations. I would assume that it will be a lot of everything.
  • AccordingtoMeg
    AccordingtoMeg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    log it all...it creates a roadmap as to where you've been recovery wise......I am in PT weekly trying to get Laminectomy approved, (L5-S1) herniation with nerve compression that causes left foot to go completley numb while driving....it takes time, but you can regain most if not all your activities from building a strong core and lower back.

That is exactly what I had surgery for. My left foot is finally getting feeling back. I am just over 3 weeks post op. I was very physical before, and it was a hard blow to me. I used to run several miles almost every day, and now I have a limp while walking. They said I can't run for at least 4 months, if not more.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Ask your PT they can give you rough estimate on Calories burned and I listed mine as PT. Mine knew where I was coming from and knew I needed to log it since I was trying to maintain and we worked to keep it up together each session
  • hafbreed02
    hafbreed02 Posts: 28
    Options
    Awesome....sry bout the jogging, but that will come back with time. I just hate the fact that mine was work related....I'm currently getting the ol' WC Dr's...."it's just a back sprain". I'll be happy when I can drive some distance without my heel burning and foot going numb!
  • Senneth12
    Senneth12 Posts: 72
    Options
    I keep a separate physical therapy log. The exercises I do twice a day at home (total of about an hour and a half) help my leg, but I don't think they burn many more calories than just sitting, and after more than two years I figure my body is used to them. I should probably log the pt exercises I do at the gym, though.

Good luck with your recovery. A detailed physical therapy log can be quite helpful for you and sometimes your therapist. If MFP is a convenient place for you to log it, that sounds like a wonderful idea. I prefer the pen and paper for my pt log, but it's a personal preference.