Popcorn

Options
When figuring popcorn, do you also figure in the amount of oil you put in the pan? Or not count it? I use coconut oil which is supposed to be better but still has a lot of fat. I suppose, if I ate the batch I made, I should count the oil too?

Replies

• ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yeah count the oil - some of it will be left in the pan I know, but a fair amount will have soaked into the popcorn sadly!
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    yes. count the oil.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Anything that goes in the pan could potentially end up in your mouth, so yeah, count it.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    get an air popper! no oil needed! you can get them on amazon for like $20.

but yes, when i make it with oil, i log it as "oil popped".
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Or - ditch the pan, put your popcorn in a brown paper bag and pop it in the microwave without the oil. :smile:
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Or - ditch the pan, put your popcorn in a brown paper bag and pop it in the microwave without the oil. :smile:

^^^ my favorite method...
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Say what? You can do that?
  • Hitem20
    Hitem20 Posts: 121
    Options
    Popcorn is my favorite vegetable
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

Yup. Works great! Just fold the top of the bag down a couple of times, then pop like you would normal microwave popcorn. Then top it with whatever you want when it's done - way cheaper and better for ya than the store bought micro stuff.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options

Sure you can but why? :wink:

I love oil-popped popcorn. I don't cave often because when I do I eat a bucket-full. A cheat day go-to for me. Lots of butter too!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is a white carb and therefore should be avoided
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    get an air popper! no oil needed! you can get them on amazon for like $20.

but yes, when i make it with oil, i log it as "oil popped".

This! Love my airpopper. Since I eat high-fat though, I drench my popcorn in oil once it's popped :)
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

But popcorn is a whole grain food so it's clean food
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Count the oil...also, fat is not the devil. Dietary fat is essential to proper nutrition and health.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

But must be popped ie processed, therefore making it unclean again
  • StacyReneO
    Options

\

Unfortunately, there probably isn't a kernel of corn on the planet (or maybe just the U.S.)that is clean. It's all GMO :grumble:
  • LisaDski521
    Options
    I bought a microwave popcorn bowl that you supposedly use no oil in it. Will try that and see what happens. I use what is considered to be "all natural white" popcorn. Isn't that better for you?
  • rinafil
    rinafil Posts: 23
    Options
    Instead of using oil, I suggest going to your local health food store and getting Newman's Own Organic Unsalted microwave popcorn (there's no butter or salt). Then, just add a tablespoon or so of olive oil and some sea salt. I got the recipe from a natural mama blog and I am IN LOVE! It's way lower in calories and tastes amazing!
  • StacyReneO
    Options
    Instead of using oil, I suggest going to your local health food store and getting Newman's Own Organic Unsalted microwave popcorn (there's no butter or salt). Then, just add a tablespoon or so of olive oil and some sea salt. I got the recipe from a natural mama blog and I am IN LOVE! It's way lower in calories and tastes amazing!

There is still some sort of oil added to the bag during processing so it can pop - usually soybean or palm oil. That is about 4-6g a few per servings as compared to air popped which is 1-2g of fat. Then your are adding about 15g of fat with olive oil. I am not watching fat so I don't care, but if the OP cares about fat, microwave popcorn is never a good option.