Any Whovians out there? :)

Options

Replies

• Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

Favorite companion: Donna - she was the only one not all mooney eyed over the Doctor. "You ain't mating with me, Mate!"

YES! This is exactly why she is my favourite too!

Yay! I love that they had a brother/sister vibe!

I'm actually convinced that Wilf is the doctor's father.

Naw. The Doctor's father was a Timelord. So were his kids.
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    Love Doctor who, David Tennant is my favorite doctor! I have been watching it since 2007 but have seen some of the older versions. The first episode I watched was the weeping angels one with Martha Jones and that has been my favorite episode ever since. Daleks are my favorite bad guys!
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hello Whovians! I have a confession...
    "Bow ties are cool."
    I have a rather hipster sentiment towards bowties. They have always been cool.
  • WhateverYouDoDontBlink
    Options
    I didn't realize until I finished watching season 6 that I had missed a Christmas special because it wasn't on Netflix! Anyone else have that problem?

21284985.jpg
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Matt Smith is great, highly underrated. I haven't watched much classic Who yet, but I hear everyone loved Baker. I did make the mistake of watching a few episodes from the 80s or so with the 6th doctor... they were terrible!

Makes me feel old! I watched Tom Baker when that's what there was; okay, Peter Davidson (#5) was making episodes in England, but here in the western U.S. we were a few years behind. PBS carried the Tom Baker in the early '80s and, it's true, you never forget your first Doctor! Yes, Colin Baker (#6) was kinda terrible, and Sylvester McCoy (#7) wasn't great either, but the earlier ones were Fantastic!

My favorite Doctors are Tom Baker (of course) and David Tennant, but I love most of them, so I'd have to keep listing them. (I love Matt Smith, too, btw).

Favorite episode - Blink.

Favorite companion - Lelah, then Donna Noble. But again, I love most of them.

I haven't seen the last 2 seasons :cry: :sad: We don't have cable any more and I haven't been able to find them. WITHDRAWALS!!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I think unless your favorite is Tom baker or Tennant you probably feel your favorite is underrated. Since all you hear is not as good as Tennant and nobody beats Baker(because noone puts Baker in the corner!!!). Honestly every performance by every doctor was top notch. (I say that not seeing the movie with the 8th doctor). Most of these actors are under rated because the show is bigger than they are. It's hard to be compared to such a massive serial like doctor who. Not many people can readily take it on and live up to every expectation. Case in point if, this more than likely wouldn't happen but Gary Oldman as a new doctor, the king of character acting would be under rated in a doctor role. David Tennant some how exceeded expectations. Tennant being such doctor who nerd I think is why he comes off so easily to many. You can see the boyish wonder in his eyes. Made it easy to get excited for new viewers to fall in love with the show, and reminded us little of each of the 2nd-5th doctors

I think you have a great point. I really do love all of them (I haven't seen and Patrick Troughton or the 8th). I think a lot of people's dislike, including mine, of #6 and #7 was that the writing just wasn't as good. And #7 had a weird companion, who kept calling him Professor (what was her name…)
  • Power_Man77
    Power_Man77 Posts: 207
    Options
    Right Here

Cause Bow ties are Cool!
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Right Here

Cause Bow ties are Cool!

Correction Fezes are cool, i wear a fez now
  • VincitQuiSeVincit
    VincitQuiSeVincit Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who truly loved Eccleston? Rose wasnt my fav though... Donna and Martha were badasses though.
    Look above at my post. Beat you to it. He was/is my favorite modern doctor. He was far more complex than the other two. Both Tennant and Smith do really well in their respective parts, but Eccleston's character had more meat on the bone. Where Tennant's seemed more of a nod to doctors of past, and smith as the softy sedimental fool(in a good way). He is vastly under rated which I suspect is because the lack of seasons under his belt.

Tennant grew on me, that's for sure. He was SO different from Eccleston that I just wasn't feeling it. I feel like Tennant and Smith both have that goofy playfulness to them, which is great and all...but I just loved loved loved the depth to Eccleston
  • Pixilox
    Pixilox Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh this reminds me... now that I have people to share with... the company I work for just moved into this massive new structure, very state of the art etc. When we were taking our tour someone said "Wow - It looks bigger on the inside than it does on the outside!" I burst out laughing and nodding, ready to high five the guy, saying "Right!!! Just like the Tardis!!! It's even painted blue." He stared at me blankly. I was all... "You know... Doctor Who - The Tardis... it's bigger on the inside and it's blue.... police call box...No? - nevermind" Arg.

I understand. I get that too :).
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    So hard for me to compare new to old. One had a budget.

Favorite episodes: The Family (new). Curse of the Fenric (old)
    Favorite companion: Rori (new). Ace (old)
    Favorite doctor: Tennant (new). 1st Doctor (old)
    Favorite villain: Angels (new). Davros (old)
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    Am I the only one who truly loved Eccleston? Rose wasnt my fav though... Donna and Martha were badasses though.
    Look above at my post. Beat you to it. He was/is my favorite modern doctor. He was far more complex than the other two. Both Tennant and Smith do really well in their respective parts, but Eccleston's character had more meat on the bone. Where Tennant's seemed more of a nod to doctors of past, and smith as the softy sedimental fool(in a good way). He is vastly under rated which I suspect is because the lack of seasons under his belt.
    Tennant grew on me, that's for sure. He was SO different from Eccleston that I just wasn't feeling it. I feel like Tennant and Smith both have that goofy playfulness to them, which is great and all...but I just loved loved loved the depth to Eccleston
    I think the progression of the reboot Doctors has been perfect. Eccleston's Doctor really was someone who survived the Time War and had serious PTSD. Tennant's Doctor was the result of someone who had been grounded by his companions - notice how dark he often became when he didn't have a regular companion. He needed that connection to the human race to keep him sane. And Smith's Doctor - well, I haven't seen any of the episodes with his new companion except for the Christmas special (I don't have BBC America :( ), but judging by the previous seasons, he's someone who has grown comfortable with who he really is, but still won't be trifled with (even if losing Amy and Rory to the past made him withdraw again).
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I think unless your favorite is Tom baker or Tennant you probably feel your favorite is underrated. Since all you hear is not as good as Tennant and nobody beats Baker(because noone puts Baker in the corner!!!). Honestly every performance by every doctor was top notch. (I say that not seeing the movie with the 8th doctor). Most of these actors are under rated because the show is bigger than they are. It's hard to be compared to such a massive serial like doctor who. Not many people can readily take it on and live up to every expectation. Case in point if, this more than likely wouldn't happen but Gary Oldman as a new doctor, the king of character acting would be under rated in a doctor role. David Tennant some how exceeded expectations. Tennant being such doctor who nerd I think is why he comes off so easily to many. You can see the boyish wonder in his eyes. Made it easy to get excited for new viewers to fall in love with the show, and reminded us little of each of the 2nd-5th doctors
    I think you have a great point. I really do love all of them (I haven't seen and Patrick Troughton or the 8th). I think a lot of people's dislike, including mine, of #6 and #7 was that the writing just wasn't as good. And #7 had a weird companion, who kept calling him Professor (what was her name…)
    It really was the writing that made 6 and 7 look bad, they also were restricted by the BBC what they could air in their episodes. Not the fault of the actors that BBC and the writers were butting heads. That said I also dislike the doctors then too. I barely remember the trials growing up. So forgetable as a kid.
  • ButYouGotMySoul
    ButYouGotMySoul Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It seems like nobody ever likes Christopher Eccleston! He is my absolute favorite doctor. Tennant is GREAT, but nobody makes me cry like Christopher Eccleston!
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    It seems like nobody ever likes Christopher Eccleston! He is my absolute favorite doctor. Tennant is GREAT, but nobody makes me cry like Christopher Eccleston!
    I like Christopher Eccleston! True, David Tennant is My Doctor because he's my first, but once I saw Eccleston, I was totally on board.

BTW, did you know that Eccleston is going to be the villain in the Thor sequel (http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/thor-the-dark-world-christopher-eccleston-is-villain-malekith/#/0)? I am definitely looking forward to that.
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Eccleston is fantastic. But Rose was the main character during many episodes and he left too early.
  • QueenCat25
    QueenCat25 Posts: 130
    Options
    David Tennant. Enough said! <3
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    *waves*
    hello!

I have a family full of WHovians.

I love the random Whovians who get get our references.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Yup! And I'll probably always miss Eccleston a little.
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Me!!!! November can't come soon enough