Only lost 1 pound in two weeks, is that normal?

Options
Hello,

Ive been working out every day, and been at this for 6 weeks now. The first two weeks, I lost 4 pounds, the second two weeks I lost 9, and the current two weeks Ive only lost 1 pound. I've been weight lifting now about 3-4 weeks. I do cardio one day, then weight lifting the next. For an hour every day!

What am I doing wrong? I eat around 1700-2000 calories a day.

Thanks!

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong. The weight comes off quickly in the beginning and slows down as time goes on. Be patient and keep doing what you are doing. Make sure you are taking measurements of your body as well and not only go by what the scale tells you. Inches lost = lower body fat percentage.
  • Dandeliiondreams
    Dandeliiondreams Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Open your diary. May get more help also =]
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    So you have lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks ? That is good.
  • drakesmanager
    Options
    Well, 14 pounds in 6 weeks total...but yes, 10 pounds in a month and the 4 pounds before.
  • drakesmanager
    Options
    Ok thank you! I was also told by someone that because I am weight lifting that I am gaining muscle mass and not to worry about what the scale says.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that...slow and steady wins the race

Ask yourself how long it took you to put your weight on?

Well done on our success so far. Keep up the good work
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong. Normal variation in weight loss. Your body is not a machine and is affected by many things.

Remember: working out keeps you healthy and makes you look great. Eating makes you lose weight.
  • r_balogh
    r_balogh Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Your body may have reached a small plateau let it build that muscle and keep it up. Be patient in the long run you'll keep on losing and be more fit for it.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have been losing one lbs every two week, it is my norm. Although I did not see any rapid weight loss at the beginning like everyone else. As long as I am losing inches, I am learning to be happy with my results.
  • Grace215lbs
    Grace215lbs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 50lbs and I've lost any number between 5-0 lbs each week. Some weeks are fast some are slow. But a loss is a loss and 1lbs is still ALOT! Trust me. Youtube what 1lbs of fat looks like. Its a very impressive loss =)
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Hi! It is absolutely normal! You're doing great! I know it can be discouraging, but DON'T give up! Slow weight loss is the way to go...You're more likely to keep it off! Your weight loss will naturally slow after the first few weeks as your body adapts and becomes lighter.

MOST of the time when reducing body weight....
    Less weight to move during activities+doing the same activities= less calorie burn because your body is adapting, WHICH IS GOOD!

Also, you are likely building muscle and/or replacing fat with muscle... If you can, take measurements and before/after photos.
    My scale hasn't moved down in over a year.(And I'm still 18lbs overweight). BUT I see a BIG improvement in my body. The scale isn't always the BEST way to measure progress :flowerforyou:
    Keep going, it is normal and you are doing amazingly with the weightloss so far! :drinker:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Losing weight isn't a linear process. You're doing great! Some weeks it goes fast, some weeks slow, some weeks nothing happens....sometimes you gain a little. Perfectly normal! Hang in there!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you! I was also told by someone that because I am weight lifting that I am gaining muscle mass and not to worry about what the scale says.

Well, you're not going to be gaining a lot of muscle eating at a deficit, but you're likely retaining water for muscle repair which can throw off your scale weight.

Also realize that there are going to be weeks when you lose less, or don't lose at all, or even gain. Weight fluctuates quite a bit, and the scale is mostly good only as a trending tool. If the overall trend is down, then you're good.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yes everything is normal. Unless you are a unicorn anything that happens to you is normal as evidenced by the fact that it happened.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Your initial weight loss will often start to slow down as the water weight you dropped when you started eating at a deficit and exercising fell away, then balanced off. There's nothing wrong with losing 0.5 pounds a week. It's not a race. You took time to get to the weight you where started this journey; it'll take time to get to the weight you want to maintain.

Chin up.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Yes everything is normal. Unless you are a unicorn anything that happens to you is normal as evidenced by the fact that it happened.

:laugh:

Brilliant. :flowerforyou:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Ive been working out every day, and been at this for 6 weeks now. The first two weeks, I lost 4 pounds, the second two weeks I lost 9, and the current two weeks Ive only lost 1 pound. I've been weight lifting now about 3-4 weeks. I do cardio one day, then weight lifting the next. For an hour every day!

Thanks!

A. Normal kind of varies from person to person.

B. 14 pounds in 6 weeks is great. Some people would cut off their arms to lose a fraction of that in that time frame.

C. Relax.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Sounds like great progress to me.
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    14 pounds in 6 weeks??? Wow! I would be jumping up and down!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks!

Are you working out every single day? You really need at least one rest day per week. You can do some walking or something but your body needs recovery time.