Remedies for leg cramps (besides bananas)

Options

Replies

• LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I used to get horrible leg cramps, then I started to get hip and thigh cramps. I went to the doctor and he told me to take a calcium and magnesium supplement like caltrate. I did, they went away. A few weeks ago I got dehydrated so I drank a ton of water and got the leg cramps again. Took some calcium/magnesium again and they went away. It worked for me. Good luck.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    i had a problem for weeks,maybe even months. i would cramp up during the day but the worst was first thing in the morning. i could barely stand up some days. I tried consuming loads of potassium & magnesium but it did not help. i also tried a few other remedies i looked up online (like lemon balm, catnip & Passionflower. they are relaxing, anti-spasmodic herbs. my back felt better taking these but it had no effect on the leg cramps)....

then i tried L-glutamine powder. i was taking it to help alleviate sore muscles after weight lifting. low & behold my muscle cramp problem went away. I did some research on glutamine, it seems that it helps with absorption problems in the gut. that must have been an issue for me, probably why the potassium & magnesium supplements did not work. (that is my guess, anyway) I only took it for a few weeks. i haven't needed any for a while but i keep it on hand just in case it flairs up again.
  • jenf235
    jenf235 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound gross, but I swear it works... I use it for my athletes all the time: pickle juice or a mustard packet. They both have something in them that make you stop cramping. I keep mustard packets in my med kit while at soccer practices/ games and every time someone gets cramps, they get a pack. They hate it, but it works! My dad also suffers from charlie-horses in him hamstrings and he drinks pickle juice all the time to help get rid of them. I do it too whenever I get them. It works! but brush your teeth afterwards :wink:

One of my friends gets horrible leg and groin cramps and swears by the mustard packets!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have gotten awful shin splints especially when I first started running. I found that icing helps a lot. I just throw on a frozen bag of peas for about 10 minutes per leg, helps a lot!

I also suggest any sports drink (they have lots of sugar-free types). Works great for the aches and pains.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Soaking your feet in warm water and Epsom salts is a great way to relax the muscles and get your magnesium also.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a whole banana for breakfast on days that I plan on exercising. It helps me avoid lower leg cramps. Lately, though, I am trying to cut back on sugar. For instance, I ate a half banana today, as bananas always kill my sugar number. I just got back from doing a walk/run and one of legs is twinging (feels like it wants to cramp/tighten up, but I won't let it...I keep stretching it out). Soooo, my question is what else can I take/eat to help keep my legs from cramping in place of my banana AND that will also be relatively low in sugar? My first thought is maybe taking two Midol before running (it helps with other body cramps)...does anyone else know if that would help or not?

Lack of sodium.

1st GOAL: 100kg (6JUN13)
    13.2kg lost / 22.2kg to go
    Thanks everyone for all the replies...lots of great suggestions. Just to clarify - I do drink ~10cups of water per day (today I will drink 12 with the exercise). I had 8 oz of Gatorade when I got home. Maybe that wasn't enough?? I don't know. I also take a Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc with vit D supplement daily, extra vitamin D (all by itself), and right now, a "Hair, Skin, and Nails" supplement (it says to take like 3/day, but I only do 1 because of the other supplements I take, and I try to eat healthier type food...although, not as strict about that). I will look into some of the other ideas mentioned here that I haven't tried. I usually have bad leg cramps or stiffness, if I skip the banana...we'll see how things go.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound gross, but I swear it works... I use it for my athletes all the time: pickle juice or a mustard packet. They both have something in them that make you stop cramping. I keep mustard packets in my med kit while at soccer practices/ games and every time someone gets cramps, they get a pack. They hate it, but it works! My dad also suffers from charlie-horses in him hamstrings and he drinks pickle juice all the time to help get rid of them. I do it too whenever I get them. It works! but brush your teeth afterwards :wink:

It's the vinegar. Our varsity football team keeps jars of pickle juice on the sidelines. I have a friend who sticks her tongue in a spoonful of vinegar and she swears the leg cramps are almost instantly gone.
  • dorothyatforty
    Options
    I usually drink young coconut water when I get leg or foot cramps. Fresh is best but you have to have the patience to cut one open. It's easy to find packaged these days though. It has loads of potassium, and a good amount of magnesium and iron. :smile:
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Iron deficiency can also cause cramping, once the MD tested me and found out I was deficient in that and I started taking supplements, no more cramps....if you are stretching and getting potassium as well as staying hydrated I would recommend a visit to the dr for testing to make sure you are not deficient in something else (such as iron or magnesium as someone else suggested)
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options

It's the vinegar. Our varsity football team keeps jars of pickle juice on the sidelines. I have a friend who sticks her tongue in a spoonful of vinegar and she swears the leg cramps are almost instantly gone.

I thought it was the vinegar! But when I wrote this I also thought people were going to say I was crazy! I have a MS in Exercise Science, so I really do know what I'm talking about, but sometimes people get ripped so hard on this site, I don't wanna speak up!
  • a1wonder
    a1wonder Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned this already but it worth repeating proper shoes new ones or better fitting ones suited the activity your doing. Arch or ankle support can really make a huge difference :)
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

I thought it was the vinegar! But when I wrote this I also thought people were going to say I was crazy! I have a MS in Exercise Science, so I really do know what I'm talking about, but sometimes people get ripped so hard on this site, I don't wanna speak up!

Yeah - this is one of the things I'm going to try...I used apple cider vinegar before to help with kidney problems, but it was hard to get down - taste wise. I bet with the mustard, it would be easier.
    (As for people getting ripped on here, tell me about it. Some people are just plain mean, but do speak up....given your background you're probably right and they're probably wrong. AND if not, who cares...I'm on here to get information and to get/give support, not tear people down about things.)
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the replies...lots of great suggestions. Just to clarify - I do drink ~10cups of water per day (today I will drink 12 with the exercise). I had 8 oz of Gatorade when I got home. Maybe that wasn't enough?? I don't know. I also take a Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc with vit D supplement daily, extra vitamin D (all by itself), and right now, a "Hair, Skin, and Nails" supplement (it says to take like 3/day, but I only do 1 because of the other supplements I take, and I try to eat healthier type food...although, not as strict about that). I will look into some of the other ideas mentioned here that I haven't tried. I usually have bad leg cramps or stiffness, if I skip the banana...we'll see how things go.

Your issue is most likely related to a lack of sodium, not potassium. You need SALT, not a banana...
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Your issue is most likely related to a lack of sodium, not potassium. You need SALT, not a banana...

I thought maybe drinking the Gatorade would help with replenishing the salt...am I wrong or is 8 ozs not enough? I walked for 31minutes today and jogged for 9min...I'm doing a C25K program (that I modified because it is really hard for me, but I will get there)...I'm only on week 3, so I know the workouts will get a little harder, and I'm trying to prepare myself before these leg cramps really get bad (with eating the whole banana, I'm just a little sore, no cramping at all).
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Your cramps probably aren't caused by a potassium deficiency, especially if you normally eat bananas. Maybe you need new shoes, or less pounding. You could substitute biking or swimming for some of your walks/runs, exercise on softer surfaces, like dirt or a track instead of pavement, and make sure that your footwear is working for you.

^This

If you are already going out of your way to eat potassium-filled foods like bananas and potatoes, its not as likely that the problem is related to lack of potassium. The FDA does not require food labels to list the amount of potassium in the product, but that does not mean that there isnt any potassium in the food. As a result, the daily potassium total you see is usually far less than your actual total consumption.

Those doing hard physical activity for extended periods of time like marathoners, ultra-marathoners, and cyclists sweat a lot and will need to replenish both sodium and potassium to keep their muscles working but this usually is not a problem when exercising under an hour.

If you are concerned about your levels of magnesium and potassium it is better to go to a doctors for a blood test. It is easy to oversupplement minerals (when taken in vitamin format-with real foods its a lot harder) which can lead to many health problems. More likely, its a small problem with form, breathing, shoes, or running surface which can be easily solved. People on a dedicated running website, such as runnersworld online, may be able to help figure out your problem and will have great advice for getting through c25k
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Calcium saved me from having them every night, now I rarely have them!
  • cyreta
    cyreta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is going to make the person who recommended vinegar as a cramp reliever sound completely rational lol. If you have leg cramps at night, put a bar of soap at the bottom of your bed. Regular soap, no Dove or one of those with a bunch of moisturizers or perfumes. Just put it there and leave it there. No more cramps. I know it sounds nutty, but it is old Appalachian mountain medicine that actually works.

Try it- it costs very little. If it doesn't work after a week, you can always actually wash with it. But I've never met a person that tried it who said it didn't work for them. You just have to ask the right generation of people.

Good luck- cramps are the worst!!
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    could it be something more than a cramp, such as a torn muscles or shin splint, especially if you always exprience the same reaction. Rest, elevate your leg, rub it down.