Hi! I'm new and I want to love working out!

Options
My name is Chelsie, hiya ^_^

I love making and eating healthy meals.

The whole process makes me feel clean and healthy.

My problem is...I hate working out :(

I want to love it and make it part of my every day routine.

Any tips from you guys who had my problem and persevered?

Replies

• jezwins1
    jezwins1 Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi chelsie my tip for working out is go as as often as you can in the first few weeks and it is surprising how quickly the body gets use to it. When I started i could only do about 8 mins before my calfs were burning up then all of a sudden bang you are going like the clappers. Keep up the hard work

Jez
  • TheRealMrsHow
    Options
    I'm not a big "worker outer" if that's what you would call it. But, I walk everyday or try to. I take my dog and my daughter rides her scooter. When I started walking, I walked kind of slowly but now....now I'm walking faster and my legs don't burn when I'm doing it! I'm hoping to start jogging soon because like you said, you like making and eating healthy meals because it makes you feel clean. Sweating makes me feel like my body is cleansing. Do you like music? Make a fabulous play list. Or listen to a book during your workout.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Try different workouts until you find something you like doing. Some suggestions: cycling, swimming, boxing, soccer, tennis, pilates, yoga, dance, hiking, videos... and the list goes on and on. If you're not sure where to start, join a gym that offers lots of different classes, and try a new one every few days until something sticks.
  • nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for just over a couple of months now and I never thought I'd see the day that I'd enjoy exercise.... but dare I say it? I'm lovin' it! I get up in the morning and I'm all about what I'm going to do for the day and when.

Haven't stepped into weight training or anything drastic like that yet but I do enjoy cardio and I take each day as it comes. They say it takes 30 days to form a habit and I believe they are correct? Don't ask me who they are?? lol

Feel free to add me if you want support, encouragement or just to rant!:laugh:

Open invite :happy:
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hiya. :) I hate cardio with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. However, I've found out lately that I LOVE lifting. Find what you enjoy and keep doing it! It make take some trial and error, but you might be surprised.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Hiya. :) I hate cardio with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. However, I've found out lately that I LOVE lifting. Find what you enjoy and keep doing it! It make take some trial and error, but you might be surprised.

I totally agree with this. Don't use exercise as a form of punishment for food choices. If you hate running, then don't run. Hate elliptical, then don't do it. Hate cardio, then don't!! To me "working out" has no goal attached to it. I TRAIN. Find something you like and do it. Oh, and whatever you do, incorporate strength training!! :wink:
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I used to be the same say, always hated to work out, always trying to find an excuse to not do it.

Just start small and keep going day by day, you will get there.

Now after 6 months, I love to run around like a maniac, feeling the air in my face and just clearing my mind, its so peaceful, hope you reach your goals.

Add me if ya want too, the more friends the better.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Creat goals, get a program, accomplish those goals and continue to progress.

Eventually you begin to enjoy it.
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I read it takes five weeks to make exercise a habit. Plan your routine weeks ahead and stick to it. Good luck
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

^ this. The satisfaction becomes enjoyable. The during is made more enjoyable for me by music.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

^ This.
  • Razzle_Red
    Razzle_Red Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm not a big "worker outer" if that's what you would call it. But, I walk everyday or try to. I take my dog and my daughter rides her scooter. When I started walking, I walked kind of slowly but now....now I'm walking faster and my legs don't burn when I'm doing it! I'm hoping to start jogging soon because like you said, you like making and eating healthy meals because it makes you feel clean. Sweating makes me feel like my body is cleansing. Do you like music? Make a fabulous play list. Or listen to a book during your workout.

The term "worker outer" is cute :P

And thank you! The thought of sweating as a body cleansing actually makes sense to me.
    I don't know what it is but thinking of things in such terms really helps.
  • Razzle_Red
    Options

<3 David Tennant has my heart!

And I'm the same. Give me lifting or anaerobic excercises and I'm pretty good...then I get to the cardio and I'm like "Bleh...no."
  • margie6787
    Options
    Hi!! I have the opposite problem!!! I love to workout when its something that I enjoy!! I would suggest you find something that you love doing!!! Once you start doing that, you won't think of it as a workout
  • Razzle_Red
    Options

I totally agree with this. Don't use exercise as a form of punishment for food choices. If you hate running, then don't run. Hate elliptical, then don't do it. Hate cardio, then don't!! To me "working out" has no goal attached to it. I TRAIN. Find something you like and do it. Oh, and whatever you do, incorporate strength training!! :wink:

Great way of thinking, thank you!

And your pic is totally inspirational, you look great!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Yup. Find something you like and do that. Once you've been doing it awhile, you may find that you want to do things that you didn't like before. I like lifting and walking so that's what I've been doing. I also try to increase my regular activity, like I've started to share the yard work with DH. Months later I'm starting to want more. Just signed up for my first obstacle race. It grows on you but it's helpful to start with something that you won't dread doing.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it too.... and then suddenly I noticed I feel so good after a work out . I mean really good. I now feel like I can't wait to get up in the morning and go work out and I weigh 242. so I am not fit yet .
    I love feeling the sweat on my head and neck , like someone else posted it feels cleansing.

I hope you find what you like because this feeling is to awsome to pass up.