What was the final straw for you?

Options

Replies

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you, with the medicines

I had some kind of reaction and went to the ER..........I had some kind of allergic reaction but was fine, but was kept there because my blood pressure was in the 170s...........OMG.......what the ........

Thats all I kept saying to myslef, HOW DID I GET IN THIS SITUATION

Well, I went to my regular dr and he said that I was OK..........JUST LOSE THE WEIGHT LLOYD

Well, that was 88 pounds ago, I ve got 35 more or less to lose, and I KNOW THATS MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT TO MYSELF

IM GOING TO FINALLY FEEL GOOD AT CHRISTMAS TIME, and enjoy the holidasy

ALSO, LOL , LOL

I can pull the trap door with the descending stairs down, TO GET THE CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS, LOL.. LOL

I was to fat to climb the steep pull down stairs to get into the 2nd floor attic, last year, at 341 I was afraid I was going to break the wooden pull down stairs, so my sister went up and handed me the decoriations from the attic

NOW I CAN GET THE DECORATIONS DOWN MYSELF...............IM at 250 lbs, and the weigh limit on the stairs, according to the paper label on the side of the pull down stairs was 300, so Im a total of 88 lbs weight loss, so I can now safely climb the stairs

LOL

I WILL NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER GO BACK TO THAT DARK DARK SAD PLACE IN MY LIFE............Ever........

Lloyd
  • tater8589
    Options
    Mine, I was put on some birthcontrol that caused me to gain 20lbs in a month. I was going to donate some clothes that nolonger fit to goodwill and one of my pregnant friends took them for her growing tummy... I was max weight 150, but still. I also have a very large family, and have always been the 'skinny' one... I'd like to stay that way.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    When I hit the weight I swore I would never hit again after losing 20 pounds 8 years ago. That combined with looking pregnant (after going off of birth control pills in order to become pregnant) without actually being pregnant was the last straw. I'm hoping I can lose the weight, get pregnant, and be one of those tiny pregnant women people fawn all over.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    For me it was a picture I saw of me taken at a club in July. I thought, who IS that ... that's not me! I also have some very expensive custom made clothes that I am not willing to give up. I know that a lot of it was from drinking. My last relationship didn't end so well and it was somewhat abusive. I was severely depressed because of it so I was drinking ... a lot. So I quit drinking last week.

When my Size 12 jeans (I am 5' 8") were starting to get tighter I decided to weigh myself in the gym. Granted it was after doing cardio so it may have been high, but the scale said 180! I couldn't believe that. The next morning, I came in to work and I weighed myself on my bosses scale. It also said 180. Okay, I had to do something.

I kept seeing one of my friends posts on Twitter saying she's checked in with her food diary and came in under calories for the day as well as her exercise reports. I decided to google the site and here I am.

My initial goal is down 20lbs to 160 but I would eventually like to get to 145. I know I can do this.
  • chriscuts
    Options
    looking back at a picture of me in 2007 at a wedding, and at the time thinking I look ok! shocked at the pic, and cant believe I allowed myself to get that big! All my family are big, 4 sisters and mam, I was always the skinny one! Not then..... I was catching up.. so off it had to come.. Thought my underactive thyroid might have something to do with it, but do you know what? plain greed was what it was... Losing weight with the thyroxine, granted it is a little slower than it used to be, but lose it I will!!!
  • journeyfan
    Options
    My husband also said that before we were married 12 years ago and I agree also that I may be the heaviest but definately the prettist also! lol That was painful to hear and yeah I think about it still but he also tells me he loves me the way I am and that makes it all better. He has however gotten smarter about what he says to me now! LOL You can add me if you want we probably have other things in common!
  • mrsfloisand
    mrsfloisand Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The final straw for me was that I was so unhappy! It was around June of 2009 and I had only been married for about 2 years. I was always tired no matter how much sleep I'd get, I hated for my husband to see me naked with the lights on, my clothes were getting tighter and tighter, our eatting habits had gotten so out of control to the point where I felt sick if I thought of what I was actually eating, and I was constantly depressed just because I was unattractive. I heard of the HCG diet and wanted to do it so bad. I talked my husband into trying it with me and we started it July 24, 2009. I did it again in October, and once more just after Christmas. I lost weight while I was on the diet, but the day I would be off of it for the maintenence part, I would gain 2 or 3 lbs so easily. Around the mid-part of February I was begging my husband to let me do it again and he repeatedly told me no. He could see what it was doing to my body because I hated the food so much I wouldn't ever eat and I was so miserable. He told me to try to do P90X and I was so mad at him I told him there was no way I could ever workout like that! He some how talked me into trying it, and that's when I got bit by the bug. I offically started my P90X routine on March 8th, 2010 and haven't missed a day of workout since. I am so addicted to working out its crazy to think that I, who used to not even want to go on a walk with my husband and my puppy, can't live without my workouts now!

So I would say initally it was when I was so unhappy with myself back over a year ago that got me thinking I needed to change, but it was when I discovered that crash diets aren't the answer that was the last straw for me, it was when I said enough is enough and that I needed to finally just do it!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    March, My back gave out on me again, but this time instead of taking two weeks to recover it took two months. Two months off work, two months with my husband cooking and cleaning while working full time, two months in unbeliveable pain while not wanting to take oxycodone, (I still have a full bottle).......
    I started MFP while disabled and worked just on diet alone for two months. I lost 5 pounds while doing no exercise, then as I recovered I started losing 5 pounds a month or more.....
    By the time I visited the back surgeon, he wouldn't operate because I had recovered so well. I want to beat the odds and not need the surgery ever. I will take all the weight off my back as possible and I want to show my husband how grateful I am to him for his loving support without judgement.
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't remember there being an exact moment that did it for me. It just built up over time.

Having to buy a size 12, and some places a size 14 jeans.
    Trying on my clothes and not liking how anything looks because of the weight in my stomach.
    Not being comfortable with myself in general...not happy with how I look.
    And most of all.......No Confidence.

I want my confidence back and it's slowly getting there :)
  • pittmnjen
    Options
    For me it was a couple of things. We were watching the dvd of my sons' baseball playoff game, and I couldn't even look at myself. I know they say the camera adds 10 lbs, but in this case it looked like it added 300 lbs! I was horrified! The other thing was my doctor telling me that if I didn't get my blood pressure under control that he was going to put me on meds for the rest of my life. AHH! No way was I going to stand by and let that happen. I knew that I had to do something once and for all. :frown:
  • rencri
    rencri Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've had several "final Straws." 1. I was teaching school and got winded walking to the end of the hall. 2. I realized this summer that I'm self-conscious in a swimsuit. 3. I had to shop for larger shorts because none of my cute summer clothes fit. 4. I look much larger than I did in pictures taken just two years ago.
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Mine was, as others, seeing myself in pictures and hating it when someone wanted to take a picture with me in it. I also was the skinny one in the family. I always felt very fortunate for that fact. We had a lot of snow this past winter and I went snow sledding with my daughter and her friend. Once I slid down the hill, I could hardly get myself back up off the ground. Plus, I was breathless by the time I walked back up the hill (and this was a tiny hill).

So, I suppose my final straws were pictures and the sledding event. I WILL get myself back to my "good" weight. Good luck to everyone on their journeys.
  • scentsykristen
    Options
    Which time? There have been a lot of attempts. I will share two.

2005 - My 20 year reunion was approaching, I felt sick, and my knees hurt all the time. I weighed 267 at the heaviest I ever let myself weigh, but was pretty sure I'd been up in the 275 range. One day I just realized this was an un-ending escalator. Every year I'd put on 10-15 pounds since high school. I wasn't even so affected by thoughts of going to the reunion (because I was going to Lake Powell with friends instead), but just realizing that if I continued I would someday be 300 + lbs. I felt sad, like I'd lost myself. I decided to have weight loss surgery. I went for the LapBand. My family went to Lake Powell with 3 other families, and this was 2 months before my surgery. While there, all I did was sit and read, swim, and RIDE IN THE BOAT. We had 2 jet skis, 2 motor boats, and tons of water toys. I was too out of shape to do anything. Everyone else was wake-boarding, water-skiiing, hiking up to the Anasazi cliff dwellings, playing tag, cliff-jumping, etc. and I was RIDING IN THE BOAT. It sucked.

In the Meantime between 2005 and now - So I had the LapBand, but dang-it, the band only affected my stomach size, not my brain, not my habits, not my cravings. I had the band super tight and lost 70 lbs, but was choking on my saliva at night. It was so tight I couldn't even swallow my spit. I vomited at every meal. After 4 years gaining/losing and trying to get the restriction just right... not too tight, not too loose, I quit and had most of the fluid removed. I have barely any restriction now.

Current - I teach swim lessons with my boys in our backyard. Lots of the parents gave us copies of their pictures from this summer's lessons and in every single one I was disgusted with my image. I began to notice that I was having problems with blurry vision quite a bit, and was thirsty all the time, and urinating frequently. I realized that I was surely on my way to diabetes. Well, I don't have insurance (due to a recent divorce and job loss), so I can't just go to the doctor and get that diagnosis and pay for meds and follow-ups and tests, so I decided to change it. I began eating lots more vegetables and fruits, cutting out refined sugars, and reducing my sodium intake. I lost about 10 lbs. The vision cleared up, the thirst and urinating normalized. Then just hung there for about a month. So I began looking for something and found MFP through an app on my phone. Here I am and ready to go!

Goal - Summer of 2011 : I am going to learn how to wakeboard. I'm going to hike, and play tag, and really be active. No more RIDING IN THE BOAT.
  • eharvey
    Options
    Deep depression is my motivator!
  • SparkleKittie
    Options
    My final straw was thinking that things would have happened differently in my last relationship, had I been thin. I know it's not true, and that he didn't break up with me based on my looks. But with all the **** going wrong in my life already, I don't need to worry about this **** anymore. Enough is enough. lol
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Like others, my final straw (this time!) was seeing pictures of myself. I have known I needed to lose weight (and did once!) but thought I was about the same as my "bigger" friends. Seeing this picture showed me that I was bigger than they are... and it was just the right time to get going again. I also knew that my weight was contributing to health issues... I've been pre-diabetic for a while and am desperately trying to avoid diabetes (which is all over my family), and I had had worse asthma issues over the past year than I had in a long time. Add to that that I want more children and losing weight hopefully increases the chances of getting and staying pregnant and this was just the right time. :) And, like some others, I don't like weighing more than my husband. It was bad enough when I was pregnant... but at least then I had pregnancy as an "excuse" (I was still really overweight). It is one of my goals to weigh less than him!
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I started a new job in June 2009. Pictures were taken at one of the first health fairs I staffed, and they were posted on our groupshare site where everyone could see them. When I logged in to see look at the pictures, I was shocked at how badly I looked and knew I had to do something. I keep the worst photo from that event on my computer as a reminder and as motivation. I'm down 35 pounds from that point.
  • mmc123mac
    Options
    Its because I don't really have a choice. I went to the doctor this a.m. and my blood pressure was up, I haven't lost any more weight
    since the last time and I feel like I am falling apart. I have GOT to do something NOW

Marilyn
  • chichi1967
    Options
    My husband took a picture of me in July walking away. I saw that picture & literally cried all night. I was uncomfortable with my weight gain in past years anyway but always made excuses. We then went to branson the next week on vacation..while their I was uncomfortable with myself & tried not to get crabby with anyone else cause I vowed when we got back "that was it"...thats when I started on here. That picture is one of my pictures on my profile..I will never forget how I felt and think about that everyone time I get bored or emotional (where alot of snacking started). of course everyone else looks at that picture & says "you look fine" UUUGH.

Im 4 weeks in..feeling great...skin has changed alot & Im feeling the hitch in my giddy up...LOL ...my husband notices that too...he's doing it with me

Good Luck
  • darkerrose
    Options
    The final straw for me....my husband and I were going through an old box of pictures. He saw a picture of me before we met, I was 20. He looked at it and looked at me. Then he said, 'Is that really you?!" I could just see the disbelief in his eyes and I realized he could not reconcile the woman standing before him (220+) with the girl in the picture (130lbs and SMILING). I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. I know he didn't mean to hurt my feelings, but man that really stung. I could see in his eyes that he wished I was that girl. I lost 60lbs over a year's span. It was awesome.

Of course, here I am again under different circumstances. I put all the weight back on with this last pregnancy. No final straw on this go round, it wasn't in my plan to gain so much, but I'm dang well gonna get back down! LOL