Oatmeal makes me hungrier!

Options
jpalocy77
jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
. I was eating eggs, spinach and avo on a whole wheat thin bread every morning. I recently switched to steel cut oats for breakfast. I find after 2 hrs I am starving. And want to eat every candy bar in site. I had my oatmeal this morning. I went to work and had 3 slices of pizza by 11 am. Then blackened catfish for dinner and 5 cookies ...after! I feel like a fat slob does anyone else have this problem with oats in the morning. I think it's around 250 cals for breakfast with oats and over 300 for my egg breakfast. Maybe not enough calories for me? Ugh frustrated

Replies

• greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would guess not enough calories for you in the morning. maybe eat it with other stuff, like I mix in fruit or berries, or just have a banana with it.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    More protein for breakfast seems to keep me satiated longer. I eat eggs and bacon about three days a week and oatmeal and an Apple the others. The eggs and bacon stay with me longer.
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal has always done this to me! I know everyone says it "sticks to your ribs" but it never holds me for very long. I do better with foods that have some protein and even some fat in the morning, personally.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Google insulin resistance. I'm not sophisticated enough to explain it properly, but the same happens to me when I eat straight carbs for a meal. I'd recommend adding some protein back in.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with cold cereal and oatmeal, but I started adding protein (powder, an egg or egg whites) and is more filling, maybe you should try that or... go back to your "safe" breakfast the one that won't make you overeat all day long!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Then don't eat it.
  • JessicaBR13
    JessicaBR13 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I usually eat my oatmeal with a cup of greek yogurt and berries. It keeps me full longer then just oatmeal itself.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You switched from a breakfast dominated by protein and fat , which are very satisfying, to a breakfast dominated by carbs, which really aren't.

I have oatmeal every morning, but I make it with milk, and add PB2. I then also have a protein smoothie, made with milk, mixed berries and vanilla protein power. The combination gives me enough energy to get me through the morning, and is satisfying enough that I rarely need a mid-morning snack.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I added 1 oz. of whole shelled walnuts to my serving of steel cuts this morning after my morning workout. Soooo good:-)
  • breeannalee
    Options
    Always include lots of protein with your carbohydrates, it limits your blood sugar from spiking and which causes the release of insulin from the pancreas..
    Your body doesnt like to have sugar in the blood (which is what oatmeal turns into once it is processed by the body) it gets rid of it as soon as it can and then asks for more energy, leaving you hungry and craving more carbs.
    On the other hand a hearty breakfast with plenty of protein will keep you satieted and blood sugar stable so you will stay full for hours.
    This is why i now limit my grain based carbohydrates to one meal a day (usually breakfast sometimes lunch) and for the rest of the day i eat mainly protein and lots of veggies :)
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a college nutrition class right now and think the answer to your question is that straight carbs digest faster than carbs mixed with protein or fat. The protein and fat slows down the rate of carbohydrate absorption.

I've been eating steel cut oats (I cook a week's worth at a time, which super simplifies my mornings) with 1/4 c walnuts and 1/2 cup of berries (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, and soon blackberries YUM!) lately.

Here are some fun savory oatmeal recipes, too. I really like the one with spinach (I use lentils instead of fake sausage crumbles):
    http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/16-savory-oatmeal-recipes?page=6
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    you could try adding 2 egg whites fried in a dab of olive oil, or my personal favorite tomorrow oats instead of traditional oatmeal, you just take 1/2 cup oats, 1 container of greek yogurt, 1/4 cup milk or water (preference) mix completely let sit in sealed container overnight and enjoy cold in the morning. That usually sticks with me all morning, sometimes i'll pair it with a banana or some other fruit or even a serving of almonds (for the extra protien + fat) :) Either way your adding some protien, which i think may be the reason your oats aren't lasting with you :flowerforyou:
  • deb6627
    deb6627 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Same thing used to happen to me when I ate only oatmeal for breakfast -- I need protein in the morning to keep me satisfied until lunch. Add a scoop of peanut butter to that oatmeal - it may sound strange, but it's actually very good. Or, make your own "Egg Muffin" -- English muffin, egg, cheese. Or, make up a few hard boiled eggs and grab one with the oatmeal. It's all about protein & convenience for me!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You switched from a breakfast dominated by protein and fat , which are very satisfying, to a breakfast dominated by carbs, which really aren't.

I have oatmeal every morning, but I make it with milk, and add PB2. I then also have a protein smoothie, made with milk, mixed berries and vanilla protein power. The combination gives me enough energy to get me through the morning, and is satisfying enough that I rarely need a mid-morning snack.

Exactly this.

If I have oatmeal in the morning, I supplement it with a bit of whole milk and a scoop of protein. The fiber in the oatmeal, the fat in the milk, and the protein in the shake are what really keep me full.

Protein and fat are much more filling in general than carbs.
  • markymarkchitown
    Options
    Absolutely add protein, I have the same issue with straight oatmeal. About 2 Tbls of peanut butter is usually enough to curb the hunger (or any other kind of nut butter can help). For a leaner and quick source of protein you can do a protein shake. After that you should be almost stuffed. 300 calories is most likely not enough to get you to lunch either, you should plan a snack about 2.5-3 hours after breakfast.
  • marymoore1057
    Options
    This is awesome. I will be glad when I can say I have lost some weight.
  • ajvideo1
    ajvideo1 Posts: 8
    Options
    I eat Quaker Oats every morning and am satisfied even if I eat a late lunch. When I have eggs I get hungry earlier & oats are better for you. I know a number of people that add fruit as the other poster mentioned. 220 Calories. I have lost 22 lbs. Love this program gets easier every day.
  • prattiger65
    Options
    This is awesome. I will be glad when I can say I have lost some weight.

Formulate an informed, educated plan and then execute it. You will be on your way.
  • 26banker
    26banker Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree. tomorrow I am going to try plain, lower carb oatmeal, with some scrambled eggs
  • prattiger65
    Options
    I eat Quaker Oats every morning and am satisfied even if I eat a late lunch. When I have eggs I get hungry earlier & oats are better for you. I know a number of people that add fruit as the other poster mentioned.

Oats are not better for you. Different macros, both necessary.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!