Daily calorie intake plus exercise question!

Options
So right now my daily calorie intake goal is 1200 but I've been reading that that number is too low. So will it be healthier to eat let's say 1500 calories a day, then burn 300 at the gym. I realize that but burning 300 calories takes you back to 1200 but at least I consumed more nutrients. I don't know..sounds like a good idea to me. What do you think?

Replies

• karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mistyvs
    Mistyvs Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 1200. I am working to lose 1.5 pounds a week. I usually earn about 300-500 calories per day with exercise, which I eat. I have found that if I eat those extra calories, I lose faster than when I don't.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Did you read how MFP works? You just reinvented the wheel. Congratulations.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's method of calorie counting, you're supposed to NET your calorie goal, which means always eating your exercise calories back.
  • kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    MFP sets everyone at 1200 to start I think, unless you change your weight loss goal settings. What I did was calculate my BMR-which is the amount of calories you would need to eat without doing anything in your life otherwise. I set that (for me it was 1318) as my daily calorie goal and then I track my exercise so I can try to eat most of it back. I have a hard time with it though because of how active I am, burning upwards of 1,000-1,200 calories a day doing running, insanity, working 2 jobs, and attending step and Zumba classes when my schedule allows. But I would recommend that for you as well, so that you can see your exercise totals and your net calories.
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    So right now my daily calorie intake goal is 1200 but I've been reading that that number is too low. So will it be healthier to eat let's say 1500 calories a day, then burn 300 at the gym. I realize that but burning 300 calories takes you back to 1200 but at least I consumed more nutrients. I don't know..sounds like a good idea to me. What do you think?

What you propose will work just fine.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Redo your MFP #s. Pick the correct activity level. Don't pick sedentary just because you think you'll lose faster. You also have less than 10lbs to lose. Change to 0.5lb/week loss.

Eat your exercise calories back. MFP is designed for its users to do that and the formula can be found on the Goals page.
  • 95AM97
    95AM97 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. It's starting to make sense now.
  • 95AM97
    95AM97 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    WAIT now I have another question, if I don't plan on going to the gym let's say tomorrow, should I then only consume only 1200 calories? Now I'm confused again!

How many calories should I consume on gym days and how many calories should I consume on non-gym days? :embarassed:
  • jflower905
    Options
    I have the exact same question. What I read on other websites, live livestrong and webmd is that my net calories should be a deficit. So, if I eat 1200 calories per day, do I need to burn 1700 calories in order to lose weight? I am sooo confused.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same question. What I read on other websites, live livestrong and webmd is that my net calories should be a deficit. So, if I eat 1200 calories per day, do I need to burn 1700 calories in order to lose weight? I am sooo confused.
    Heavens no! MFP builds a deficit into the number it gives you. If you eat 1200, I assure you that you are already eating at a deficit. If you exercise, you need to eat more that day. MFP uses NEAT, which assumes that you intend to lose weight by eating less and nothing else. It factors in your daily activity level, but does not account for any exercise, so if you burn additional calories, you need to eat additional calories to maintain your deficit at a safe level. At the end of the day, your Calories Remaining should be at or near zero.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

No, you are not suppose to net a negative number. MFP built in deficit for you and when you exercise you create a bigger deficit which is why it gives you extra calories to eat. To large of a deficit could cause you to lose more lean mass then want to.