Can I wear my HRM to work?

Options
Just out of curiosity, I am wondering how many calories i burn while at work. I am wanting to use the time I am at work for my daily exercise vs. me having to wake up earlier to do a workout in the am or after work. I work at a daycare 9-6, 5days a week. I have a polar brand watch n chest strap

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    No, a HRM is not designed to be used that way.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Just adjust your activity level. I assume you currently have it on sedentary? Just bump it up to lightly active or active, depending on how much you move.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    HRM are for exercising only. id get a fitbit i got one on the weekend and it tracks all the steps you take and then tells you your calories burn and it so small and you forget its even on
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Nope. It's made to measure your heart rate when it's elevated. I tried that once and all it did was beep at me all day. Completely useless and annoying as hell. You'd need something like a fitbit or body media fit for what you'd like to do.
  • kathym1122
    kathym1122 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm on my feet walking 12 hours 3 shifts a week. I'm an ER nurse rarely sit in a busy emergency depart. I wear a pedometer it counts my steps and calories burned. I average between 6-8 miles a day.
  • kathym1122
    kathym1122 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    n.
  • Journey2newwomen
    Journey2newwomen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm on my feet walking 12 hours 3 shifts a week. I'm an ER nurse rarely sit in a busy emergency depart. I wear a pedometer it counts my steps and calories burned. I average between 6-8 miles a day.

What kind did u have? I got one from Walmart before I got my polar. It was really crappy, I could jus shake and it would make steps and while working out it said I burned 8 calories when norm I would at least a hundred
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Adjust your activity level your HRM is not for wearing at work to count it as exercise..get a pedometer if you want to know your steps but I don't suggest using it to count towards working out and exercise calories to eat back if that's the purpose
  • Chucksteakswife
    Chucksteakswife Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have the polar ft4 which if thats the case, it will record your calories burned for the day. i use to work in daycare too and you are definitely on your feet and moving for most of the day!! If I were you, I would wear it to work one day. Then I would wear it another day when you aren't at work and compare all the numbers.

However if you are trying to lose weight, low impact cardio (which is what you are doing at work) is not the most effective way to do it. Maybe you would want to throw in some strength training to help you burn more calories and boost your metabolism .
  • 81Katz
    Options
    No, big NO. Going to work is not exercise, nor is it cardio.

Set aside 20 minutes for a walk everyday. Wear your HRM when you walk and log that as your exercise.
  • Journey2newwomen
    Options

Set aside 20 minutes for a walk everyday. Wear your HRM when you walk and log that as your exercise.

Have you ever worked at a daycare??? If not than you don't have the right to say, "going to work isn't exercise" I thought that to before I got the job. I always though daycare as easy and simple...WRONG!
  • aidensanma
    aidensanma Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Fit bits the way to go to monitor your steps and activity
  • Journey2newwomen
    Options
    It sounds like you have the polar ft4 which if thats the case, it will record your calories burned for the day. i use to work in daycare too and you are definitely on your feet and moving for most of the day!! If I were you, I would wear it to work one day. Then I would wear it another day when you aren't at work and compare all the numbers.

However if you are trying to lose weight, low impact cardio (which is what you are doing at work) is not the most effective way to do it. Maybe you would want to throw in some strength training to help you burn more calories and boost your metabolism .
    Yes, that's what it is ft4
  • 81Katz
    Options

Have you ever worked at a daycare??? If not than you don't have the right to say, "going to work isn't exercise" I thought that to before I got the job. I always though daycare as easy and simple...WRONG!

PS: I have the Polar FT4 HRM and no it's not meant to be worn all day. If the electrodes don't stay wet enough or lose contact the thing beeps at you and doesn't register anything.

But work isn't exercise. If *simply* going to work was exercise there would be no fat people and no need for sites such as this. Everyone would wake up, go to work, be magically thin and healthy. Think about it ...

To each their own. :smile:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Ive been both a Nanny and also worked in a facility as a Teacher its demanding but for the purpose of tracking and logging I believe what the poster meant was it wouldn't count as exercise here for the most part...but everyone has to do their own thing.
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options

Since it's a consistent activity, I think that changing the activity settings on MFP would make more sense than logging it as exercise.
  • Journey2newwomen
    Options

Ive been both a Nanny and also worked in a facility as a Teacher its demanding but for the purpose of tracking and logging I believe what the poster meant was it wouldn't count as exercise here for the most part...but everyone has to do their own thing.

Let me clarify, I am planning on losing weight jus by tracking with my mfp. I won't be working out but just tracking my calories. Maybe I shouldn't have said counting as exercise. You guys are thinking that I am going to track my burned calories at work on mfp and eat those back, no.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    That is your activity level, not exercise!!
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options
    That is your activity level, not exercise!!

Exactly.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    HRM are for exercising only. id get a fitbit i got one on the weekend and it tracks all the steps you take and then tells you your calories burn and it so small and you forget its even on

This.

8488541.png