Cheat Meal once a week?

Options
Should you have a cheat meal once a week where you are not pickey about the calories you take in?

Replies

• glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    There are many threads on whether or not you should have a cheat meal or cheat day and in my opinion, that's a very personal decision. Some people need it, others do not. You need to figure out what's best for you. I don't have an official cheat meal or day, but occasionally I'll let caution go to the wind.
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    As long as your cheat meal doesn't equal your goal calorie intake for the day or anything, if you want one, have one!
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Two factors to consider:
    1. What is your weekly net calorie deficit? How much of that are you willing to squander on a meal/treat? You need to look at the whole week, not just the day of, and understand that it WILL slow things down.

2. How "rigid" is your eating plan? If you are following something that is not at all rigid, I would just plan to incorporate those foods into your day. If, like me, you are doing something a little more drastic, then it might be a good idea to allow yourself the concept of a "cheat" day. I don't call it that. I'm committed to a 90/10 lifestyle, so my "cheat" is technically within that 10%.

The advantage for me is that I am able to tell myself that if I really want something, I can have it on Saturday. By Saturday, I usually don't remember wanting any of that stuff, but I DO know that I want my ice cream. Dairy isn't part of my food plan, so I don't incorporate ice cream into a normal day. I might be ready to give it up one day, but for now, it keeps me on track.

But if you are following the IIFYM model, then just have what you want on a regular day :)
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a "diet" so there's nothing to "cheat" on. But in the year that I've been serious about losing weight I have rarely overindulged at all - however, I do have treats and things I crave. I just plan those things into my calorie allowance, just as I would plan a purchase of something frivolous into my budget.
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a "cheat" meal or day is inevitable. But I always log it the best I can (even if it includes an 800 calorie cupcake from Gigi's or whatnot). That way, if I do stall or gain weight, I have a reminder as why so it's not as frustrating.

The problem with a designated cheat meal (eg Sunday dinner or whatnot) is that I'd eat everything then that I wanted to but didn't all week--basically undo-ing six days of restraint.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It depends on your daily calories and activity level to be honest. If you are sedentary and only eat 1200, I'd imagine you would need it to feel sane. If on the other hand you are eating 2000 and active its easier to fit it into tour normal day, which is pretty much what i do. But life happens anyway, so i will go over occasionally.
  • mitzvahmom78
    mitzvahmom78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    At one time I allowed myself a "free meal" right after my weekly weigh-in, and then after awhile it became a "free day," and then it extended further and had a hard time getting back on track. So I'm trying to avoid that. At this point I'm going to try to budget "a little something" into my plan once in awhile if I really want it. I'm hoping that will prevent me from feeling the need to go crazy every week. Moderation....I hope it will work.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a "diet" so there's nothing to "cheat" on. But in the year that I've been serious about losing weight I have rarely overindulged at all - however, I do have treats and things I crave. I just plan those things into my calorie allowance, just as I would plan a purchase of something frivolous into my budget.

Nicely said, good analogy :)
  • lovelaughrun
    lovelaughrun Posts: 45 Member
    Options

^^^ this is awesome
    I found having a cheat meal made me feel terrible. As in stomach pains and tired and just yuck. My body wasn't used to the foods. I read on another post that "if you can't do it for a week, how can you do it for life?". I love chocolate, so if I want a little I make sure it fits in to my daily intake or I do a little extra exercise. The more I deprive myself the more I hate it
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I do the IIFYM thing, so I can usually incorporate anything I am really craving into my day if I want to by adjusting how I eat the rest of the day (and maybe some extra exercise). I don't do cheat days, but I do have a refeed day every couple of weeks where I eat above maintenance by about 30% but still hitting all macros. Refeeds can be beneficial if you have been at a deficit for a while since it can help reset your metabolism a little. You usually gain a little after a refeed, but the fat comes off a little easier afterwards.
  • confusedperson
    Options
    nahh! that's why it's a cheat meal ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    First of all, while this question seems simple enough, there are many factors that must be considered before answering.

When you say "cheat meal," what exactly do you mean? Do you mean a trip to the buffet or to Pizza Hut in order to binge? Do you mean a clean re-feeding meal that provides the same foods you're dieting with but increases your total calorie intake for that specific meal or day? Do you mean a clean, high carbohydrate meal designed to replenish muscle glycogen? The body certainly would process each of these meals differently, so the answer is dependent on what type of "cheat" you're planning.

But there are no hard and fast rules.
    The best rules for fat loss are the ones you create yourself through an understanding of your unique metabolic expression, psychological sensitivities and personal preferences.

What???!!

Clean refeeding meal to increase calories or clean refeeding meal to replenish glycogen.
    I'm confused.

dont you know your body distinguished between the type of cheat meal that you eat bro????? bahahahahahahahaha
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i usually say no ...if I want something pizza, ice cream, etc - I fit it into my calorie intake for the day and eat less of something else...
  • mookybargirl
    mookybargirl Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I log everything regardless and I know some people choose not to log their cheats, so it's all personal choice and whatever will work for you.

I don't plan a weekly cheat but there are things that come up that cause me challenges. As an example, we're off out for chinese with friends on Friday. I know that I will go over my calories that day but that's fine. I'll eat normally that day (will plan a lunch with a few less calories and will watch my snacks to save as many calories for dinner). I'll then eat what I want for the most part for dinner. Saturday, I'm back to my usual eating plan. I won't try to compensate for the deviation for the rest of the week.

I guess this could be a cheat but for me, it's just life. It won't knock me off course and usually I'll be selective about restaurant choices, and splitting dessert if we have one, so I'm overall more conscious of my choices. I don't plan in a weekly cheat as I probably have a challenge 1-2 times a month anyway.

Do what you feel is right for you and if you feel your weight loss isn't what you want, then make a change.

Life has to go on :flowerforyou:
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I think you may be over thinking things or got confused at sometime you may have read.

Clean refeeding meal to increase calories - I'm not sure what the point of that would be. What would that accomplish?

Clean refeeding meal to replenish glycogen. - Why is the word "clean" in there? A refeed, where the objective is to replenish glycogen can be done in a meal, couple of hours, day or days. It's recommended the carbs ingested produce and insulin spike hence why we usually eat lots of bread, pasta, kids cereal etc. At the same time protein is kept to a moderate level while reducing fat intake to a minimum level. The objective is to regulate Leptin.

Also, I'm not trying to knock you but I'm pretty sure calorific is not a word.

THIS x2