Keeping fruit fresh?

Options
Jenny8511
Jenny8511 Posts: 141 Member
New here :) I hope this is the correct place to ask this.

I've been craving fruit like crazy lately and I'm wanting to cut a bunch of fruit at once (I'm thinking strawberries, kiwi, bananas, cantaloupe etc) and have it stay fresh the whole week. Does anyone have any fruit salad recipes that keep well in the fridge for a few days? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Most fruits I've met are naturally fresh.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Often a little lemon juice can stop browning, but as someone who buys and eats a lot of fruit (between weekly shops) I'd say most fruit keeps best uncut. I'd just cut off the portion I need from say, a melon, and leave the rest in tact in the fridge.
  • goodmorningglory
    Options
    Don't wash fruit until ready to consume. Washing takes away nature's preservatives. I have found this to be true especially for berries, strawberries. Lemon juice in a mixed salad is great idea. Bananas will last longer refridgerated but browning does occur they keep their firmness longer.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Not a fruit salad junkie, but recently something called santa claus melon found its way into my basket... it's holding up in the fridge better than what I'm used to from melons, not like it needs to since it won't be there for long lol. I suspect it's a seasonal one because I normally don't see it at the grocery store.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I find fruits like apples, oranges, and grapefruit hold up in salads the best. Bananas are the worst. Vacuum seal in a mason jar for best results if using strawberries, etc
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Since I dont eat enough fruit, I find I waste some. Recently I discovered the advantage of frozen fruit and love it. I keep frozen blueberries , pineapple and cherries in the freezer. If I need a snack, and snack foods are at a premium around here, I can go get some out of the freezer, frozen cherries are great and take longer to eat if not thawed out.