Which walking routine gets better results?

Options
I have started walking to loose weight. I have all ready lost 17 pounds. Since Im new at this I was wondering if anyone knew if it was better for me to walk 30 min at lunch and 30 min after work...or to walk an hour straight after work. My pace is around a 16 min mile.

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    they are both equally good..

in regards to weight loss, congrats on the 17lbs, but don't give walking too much credit. it's calorie deficit that gives weight loss results. you could have gotten the same thing just eating a bit less to offset the ~400 calories you burned walking. tracking calories is what gives weight loss. exercise is just a way to help that deficit, no more or less. consider exercise for health benefits, not weight loss benefits.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss!

Eventually, you'll want to start increasing the intensity of your walking so that you can continue to improve your fitness. Here's an article that offers a suggestion on how to do this: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/cardio/build-intensity-with-this-walking-workout.html (there's an autoplay ad that may start).

Keep up the great effort!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    it's walking. let's not over think this. choose whichever is most convenient for you and your schedule. and if you want to speed to rate of fat loss, it will be a good idea to begin some sort of resistance training program now, whether it's hitting the gym or it's doing body weight stuff from youtube videos. It will help a great deal.

how about a 30 min walk at lunch and 30 mins of resistance training after work?
  • 4lifeinnh
    4lifeinnh Posts: 3
    Options
    I really like Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home program. If you go to her site you can try a 1 mile walk or get DVDs. Her DVDs have a varied array of workouts that you can do on your lunch break or at home. It will step up your walk routine!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have TWO pockets of time:

walk up and down the stairwell at work for 30 minutes. Just go up until you can't stand it. then go down. then when you feel okay go back up until you can't stand it again. then go down just until you feel better. then go up again until you can't stand it again. then go down until you feel okay. repeat.

set your watch or phone alarm for 30 minutes and when it goes off take the elevator back to your desk.

after work if you have a whole 'nother hour to spare. spend it on doing weights. or on walking. whatever. just use both times up. eat during your breaks. do your makeup on the drive to work while your hair dries with the windows open. put product or a braid on your hair in the elevator up. eat dinner on your drive home. Cram the time. Cram it! Do it ALL!