How to eat my proper calories without feeling hungry

Options
I WAS eating probably about 1600 calories a day and I thought I was doing well. Since I posted all my info and my goal weight and weight loss per week goal, I found I have to cut about 300 calories off my daily intake (yes, I figured for my exercise calories too). I understand already that I need to cut more sugar than I already have from my eating habits and fat also, but I'm frustrated because I want to be able to do this without feeling so hungry between meals.

What can I do to keep my calorie intake low without feeling so hungry? What kind of snacks do you recommend? I'm already thinking of replacing my Cliff Bar with peanuts, but I need something good to replace my apple with that's high in protein/fiber, easy to grab, that won't add a lot to my calories and sugar. I feel I'm doing well with my meals in both nutrition and calorie intake, but these snacks are a real bugger for me. It's the place where I know I'm failing and I need a little help.

Thanks!

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Eat high protein and high fat to keep from going hungry. Protein and fat keep you fuller longer and prevent hunger pangs. Good high protein, high fat foods are cheese, beef, chicken, nuts, nut butters, oils, etc
  • mirrinias
    mirrinias Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Replacing the cliff bar sounds like a good idea. One of those is like eating a candy bar. What other sugary things are you eating? I don't think cutting the apple is the best idea if you can replace something else first. Apples may be sugary, yes, but it's natural sugar and high in fiber. Basically, it should be a fairly filling snack and also gives you a taste of something sweet.

If you opened up your diary, we could give you specific replacement suggestions, too.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    My 2-cents: ditch the pre-packaged quick "diet" stuff. Stick with whole foods, legumes (at least a cup a day), raw unsalted nuts and seeds (about 1 oz a day), raw fruit, lots and lots of vegetables (raw and steamed), and then cut the starches (rice, potatoes, bread) to about a cup a day, and finally cut the meat and dairy down to less than 10% of your daily intake (or none at all). Don't be afraid to eat raw fruit. It's good carbs. Same for veggies. You can't go wrong eating veggies. Just don't slather them in butter or sour cream. You get the picture. Good luck!
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Keep the apple. How about boiled eggs as a snack? I also snack on almonds... probably more than I should. Right now I am hooked on frozen greek yogurt bars. 100 calories and taste really good.
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    After a workout I always drink a protein drink to fill me,and I will eat breakfat with fiber that will fill you,Don't eat fiber all the time for breakfast but then maybe at dinner or lunch.snacks,fruits,banana,plums,pears whatever always drink water ,i will drink one bottle of water befor every meal to fill me up so I don't over eat and you should at at least 5 or small healthy meals a day even if its a bag of carrote ,celery as a snack,then you wont starve your self at night.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Wait, where did you get the 1600 number from, and why do you think now you need less than that?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Wait, where did you get the 1600 number from, and why do you think now you need less than that?

This.
  • Naturebeckles
    Options

Based on the info I gave the site, my Basal Metabolic Rate is 1337 and based on my current weight and my goal, my target calories are 1200 (not including exercise). I added up what I ate per day a couple months ago and I was eating 1600 on average.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Based on the info I gave the site, my Basal Metabolic Rate is 1337 and based on my current weight and my goal, my target calories are 1200 (not including exercise). I added up what I ate per day a couple months ago and I was eating 1600 on average.

You've only got 17 lbs to lose. Did you set MFP to lose 1 lb per week?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    And, were you losing on 1600 calories? How many calories do you estimate you burn in your workouts?

You might want to figure out your TDEE and then take a cut from that, 20% if you have 20+ pounds to lose or 15% or 10% if less than 20 pounds.

Many find that easier to eat that one calorie goal which includes exercise instead of being hungry trying to hit a lower goal.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to alarms you...

BUT THERE IS A FREAKIN' RAINBOW GROWING ON YOUR FACE
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Naturebeckles
    Options

OMG! get it off! get it off!
  • Naturebeckles
    Options
    And, were you losing on 1600 calories? How many calories do you estimate you burn in your workouts?

You might want to figure out your TDEE and then take a cut from that, 20% if you have 20+ pounds to lose or 15% or 10% if less than 20 pounds.

Many find that easier to eat that one calorie goal which includes exercise instead of being hungry trying to hit a lower goal.

No, I was not losing on 1600 calories. The only thing I've lost is the 3 lbs I gained right before I decided to start working out. I have no idea what TDEE is.
  • Naturebeckles
    Options

You've only got 17 lbs to lose. Did you set MFP to lose 1 lb per week?

Yes. Because I've been working out and making changes to my eating since April (and I could kick myself for cheating on weekends), and haven't lost anything. Figured 4 months into my working out I should expect to lose 1 lb a week if I did more to change my eating habits.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at your diary yet. But I just want to mention that apples are great snacks! You don't have to ditch it. But there is some sort of enzyme or something in apples that actually triggers a phantom hunger feeling. You have to eat it with something else for it to actually make you keep that 'full' feeling. But don't ditch it entirely. Just have it with a spoonful of peanut butter or a glass of milk.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Are you logging everything and using a food scale? Sorry I know that's off topic but I feel like it messes up so many people here that it's worth asking.
  • lar4290
    lar4290 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Fruit! But make sure you weigh it if you can. A big apple is more like 135 calories than 110. But fruit still is one of the more efficient forms of food--sheer grams to calories ratio. Also vegetables. If you don't like them plain try packing two tablespoons of hummus. You can have a tons of baby carrots or celery with that for very few calories.
  • Naturebeckles
    Options
    Fruit! But make sure you weigh it if you can. A big apple is more like 135 calories than 110. But fruit still is one of the more efficient forms of food--sheer grams to calories ratio. Also vegetables. If you don't like them plain try packing two tablespoons of hummus. You can have a tons of baby carrots or celery with that for very few calories.

ok so I wont' get rid of the apple, but carrots and hummus sounds good!

those are the suggestions I'm looking for. :)
  • sirius951
    sirius951 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My favourite snack - sugar free jelly and low fat low sugar yoghurt that I make myself with an easiyo yoghurt maker with fruit or a sprinkling of muesli as a topping. Feels like really indulgent treat and has stopped me wanting chocolate, biccies etc. :-)