Moment or situation you realised things needed to change

Options
debbash68
debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
I was just wondering what was happening in peoples lives or what was the seminal moment or situation that made people realise it was time to change to a more healthy lifestyle approach ?
For me it was something so shallow but nevertheless, it was this type of thing!
I was dismissed out of conversations with other women about things like clothes/ men / dieting I suddenly realised I was no longer taken seriously because I was overweight! I'm just interested in others stories!

Replies

• britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    The moment I realized I needed to change was when I was driving my brother to the airport because he was going on vacation. He's always really blunt and just told me that he was really concerned about me, and the path that I was going down, and for my life because of my lack of care about my health. A couple days later I just started to completely change my lifestyle and food choices, and everytime I feel like giving up I think about it.

(:
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    The moment I realized I needed to change when a co-worker said that I was going to need a clothing allowance.

8488541.png
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    For me it was series of events starting with my uncle's passing in 2000 of an enlarged heart/ sleep apnea. But it wasn't until my dad's second heart stint procedure and grandfather's funeral in 2005 that I got serious. I knew that it was to be me if I didn't do something.

I stayed in good shape until 2007 and then fell off the wagon. I had the classic "all or nothing/orthorexic mindset". I tried too hard to be perfect. I would just say **** it some weekends and go nuts. It caught up to me when I got sick and had to miss 2 months of working out.

I recommitted in 2012 after a year on blood pressure pills. I'm just too young and intelligent to accept that. I got control of my health and my eating habits this time around. I've not had an epic binge that wasn't planned since before 2012. I've got a much more healthy mindset towards food and accept that I can work certain treats into my diet without overindulging.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    When I looked at vacation pictures and didn't even recognize myself.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I was applying for an autism service of or my son, had to video record a talk about why he needed one. The video was horrendous. I looked like Jabba the Hut.
  • Alyssah09
    Alyssah09 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Quite a few things. I gained 100 lbs with my first baby and never lost any of it. I met a new man (who is now my fiance) and he was a health nut and he was 50 lbs lighter than me. Also I hate having to tell my 3 year old that I cant run and chase him because I am too out of shape to do so. I NEED to change. And now that I have just had my second baby I need to be healthy for my boys.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    A couple of things:

* My aunt who was a good 15kg less than me had developed diabetes. Yeah, that kicked me up the butt.
    * I'm 30 and never had a relationship. I would like to be able to get married and have babies...and at the weight I was, there was no chance in hell I was attracting any nice guy.
    *I struggled getting into an amusement park ride (mainly cos I was short, but it was even more upsetting as I'm a resounding 'fatty fat fat' with my stature).
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    When I looked at vacation pictures and didn't even recognize myself.

This exactly! I saw some pics of a vacation to the Carolinas, & all I could think when I saw the beach pics was "push it back in!"

Then I realized "it" was me. :sick:
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Not this past winter but the one before I came to my epiphany. My fiance and I love to snowboard. Well, the winter of 11-12 I was 200 lbs. I couldn't put my snowboarding gear on without huffing and puffing. Going down the slopes was almost a joke. I'd have to stop and hit my inhaler every few hundred yards because I couldn't hardly breathe & once I actually had to break out the nebulizer. I realized that if I got any bigger I wouldn't be able to board any more. So here I am. 50 lbs lighter and a lot more fit I hardly ever need to use my inhaler anymore! :smile: I can't wait for this next season. Hopefully by then I'll be able to fit into my old gear!
  • JRSchumaker
    JRSchumaker Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Not only was I heavier than I'd ever been, but I spent most of a year flat on my butt due to a pelvic issue. I swore when it was resolved that I'd never take my mobility for granted again. It resolved, and I delivered on my promise to myself. There are NO pictures of me at my heaviest.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Well, from 2000-2012 I gained over 100 pounds.....in the back of my mind I knew that that I needed to lose about 80 of it, but I kept putting it off.

Shortly after I turned 30, I was rearranging furniture; I was winded from moving a dresser and a few other items.

That was the wake up call, I could not believe how far I had fallen........
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    A photo of me on Halloween of 2009. Then ended up pregnant and was determined that I would not reach 300 lbs. Reality hit me in the face when the doctor scale read 250 lbs at my first visit of my pregnancy.
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    When I had severe acid reflux that made it feel as if someone was ripping out my esophagus and I thought I was dying, that was my motivation.
  • DYfive
    DYfive Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    The largest tornado to ever touch earth came within a mile of me a couple months ago. At one point I was pretty certain I was going to die, but it took a strange path, and all I got was some (GIANT) hail damage, and a new outlook on life.

Been much more positive ever since. Trying to live my life more to the fullest. And working on having a healthy and better looking body.
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    My husband and I broke up, and I pretty much just felt like doing what I wanted to do. I wanted to make myself happier, and taking care of myself was the place to start
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Pic of me at my daughters 4th birthday party just watching the fun instead of having fun with them woke me right up.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    moment of realization: a birthday photo, taken from the ground up (until then had instinctively avoided cameras, even though i was in denial of reflection and actual pant size. photo = no room for error! no room for anything but my voluptuous face!)

moment of *action*: breakup. not just because i was angry etc (which i was), but bc i had more time to think things through, plan, etc, and less mental/emotional distress obstructing constructive action
  • Maxbert_SA
    Maxbert_SA Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was on a winery tour with a bunch of friends, saw the photos when I got home. Disgusting.

How did I let myself get like this?
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    The moment I realized I needed to change when a co-worker said that I was going to need a clothing allowance.

8488541.png

Even though you made the change, that is quite mean :(
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    My husband and I broke up, and I pretty much just felt like doing what I wanted to do. I wanted to make myself happier, and taking care of myself was the place to start

This is why break ups can be a blessing in disguise :)