Help Please - Stones to Pounds; I'm confused!!

Options
Hi Guys and Gals, quick question.....

I started at a weight of 13stone and 7lbs (my scales said 13.7) I am now 13.2...

I thought I had lost 5lbs but when I entered and logged this weeks weight MFP states I've lost 7lbs....this can't be correct, can it? I would have thought I lost 5 not 7...

So I would like some clarification please.

Either way I'm stoked but 7lbs seems an awful lot for 15days especially since I'm doing -15% of TDEE @ sedeantry and eating back exercise cals...

Replies

• Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You may have to log in pounds, forgetting stones. Could be 'an across the pond' cultural thing, as USA doesn't use stones as unit of weight.
  • bohica36
    bohica36 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I come up with seven pounds.

Years ago I did the South Beach diet and lost around 10 to 12 pounds during my first two weeks.

After that first drop I leveled out to around 2 pounds a week and I had to start exercising to keep it steady.

So yeah it's possible.

Way to go!
  • I_Will_Be_The_Swan
    Options
    One stone is fourteen pounds.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    If your scale weighs in stones then 13.7 is 13 stones + 7/10 of a stone (not seven lbs)
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    you lost 5lbs. You started at 189lbs, you now weigh 184lbs. Are you sure you converted stones to pounds correctly?
  • bohica36
    bohica36 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I converted the measurements on this page:

http://www.metric-conversions.org/weight/stones-to-pounds-table.htm

I set it ti decimal, and put the increments at .1
  • LilyGrey
    LilyGrey Posts: 18
    Options
    Yeah, 1 stone = 14lbs so I'd say you've lost 5lbs. Can you change what your scales measures in and compare what it says compared to stones?

13 stone 2lbs should be 184 lbs and 83.461 kg
  • RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If your scale weighs in stones then 13.7 is 13 stones + 7/10 of a stone (not seven lbs)

Digital scales will give your weight in stones and pounds.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    13 stone 7 lbs is not the same as 13.7 stone...
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    A stone is equal to 14 pounds. If it helps I've noticed the MFP tends to round up for the tracker thingy and little weight loss progress box in the my home tab. so if you've lost say 1.7 pounds it will round it up to 2 pounds on the tracker but it will show it as 1.7 in the news feed and shows your accurate weight on the check in page.
  • FightingFox
    Options
    I find the use of the word "stone" to measure weight funny. I'm not being condescending, I really do find it humorous. It sounds much more significant to say "I lost X stone" than "I lost so many pounds." From now on, I'm going to say that I've lost over 2 stone! I feel so much lighter!
    That was appropriate of nothing, I realize. All I know that 1 stone=14lb, so I could see how conversion in smaller lb amounts could get tricky.
    ^^American
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    13 stone 7 lbs is not the same as 13.7 stone...
    This.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options

lbs/stones are not metric

16oz= 1lb
    14lbs= 1 st.

try using the metric system - kilos and grams

1st GOAL: 100kg (6JUN13)
    13.2kg lost / 22.2kg to go
    Thank you for all your answers!

To be honest my scales measured @ the start 13.7 I just presumed that they were stones and pounds....I think I will use Scoobys converter and just log in pounds each week (My maths is not my forte as you can tell lol)

So according to Scoobys I started at 191lbs and I'm now 184.4lbs , maybe this is the water weight an a teeny bit of fat coming off..
  • Bambalina_1
    Bambalina_1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I find the use of the word "stone" to measure weight funny. I'm not being condescending, I really do find it humorous. It sounds much more significant to say "I lost X stone" than "I lost so many pounds." From now on, I'm going to say that I've lost over 2 stone! I feel so much lighter!
    That was appropriate of nothing, I realize. All I know that 1 stone=14lb, so I could see how conversion in smaller lb amounts could get tricky.

:0)
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I use this chart when I am trying to figure out my weight to enter here

http://www.occupationalhealth.co.uk/WeightConversion.htm

I weigh myself in stones, but now I'm lifting weights at the gym they are all in KG so that chart also comes in useful to find out how much I am lifting :)

I hope this is useful to someone
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Google has a converter too. just search for "pound to stone".
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Google can convert anything, just type "x [unit] in [units]" into the Google search bar. Instant conversion.