Bad posture

Options
himel13
himel13 Posts: 146 Member
Hi all! I was wondering if any of you have been able to correct bad posture through exercise (or any other way)?
My slouch has gotten so bad that when I try to straighten up a bit, it makes my back hurt from the effort! And its highly unattractive, especially because I'm short!
Any suggestions?

Replies

• SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for good posture :)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Anything that develops core strength is going to help. I have lordosis (a mild form of scoliosis), so my posture sucks and made my back hurt a lot. Yoga, weight lifting (especially compound lifts like squats and deadlifts) and Insanity have done wonders for my back (as has losing the weight).
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Basics of improving posture

Kyphosis (exaggerated curve of thoracic vertebrae or upper back rounding); short and tight pectorals, weak and elongated traps – helped by stretching pecs, upper and mid back, traps, rhomboids and thoracic extensors ( essentially strong upper body and neck)

Lordosis (exaggerated curve of lumbar vertebrae or "beer belly" look); anterior tilt of the pelvic girdle, short and tight erector spinae and iliopsoas, glutes, hams and rectus abdominis weak and elongated – helped by stretching erector spinae and iliopsoas, and strengthen glutes, hams and rectus abdominis (essentially strong "core")

Take clients through a full range of movement to ensure muscles are being worked to check posture and potential weaknesses
    Ensure exercises are balanced across joints
    Do a lot of mobility work (check out Bryce Lewis and Kelly Starrett on YouTube) and strength based exercises.

If you have scoliosis where the spine is twisted laterally (a sign is often shoulders at different levels) it requires medical intervention.

Go to your doctor and find out if there are any medicals requirements. Then go to your gym and ask one of the instructors. A good gym/instructor will help you out. There are also some useful videos on YouTube (a few by Elliot Hulse if I remember correctly).
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    It will hurt if you sit slumped over all the time and suddenly sit up straight because you engage muscles that you weren't previously. Just stick at it. Exercise wise yoga is meant to be good for this type of thing :) x
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Well I am working on my own postural issues.

First thing I would say is diagnose your issues:
    http://www.exrx.net/Kinesiology/Posture.html

You may be able to do this yourself but probably need help. I ended up taking my own pictures and posting them here:
    www.bodybuilding.com forum section called: Injury Recovery And Prevention

Then when you know what your issues are you look for ways to correct them. That forum has some useful posts on postural issues aswell.

I think one of the most important ways to correct bad posture is to simply be mindful of it and pull yourself out of it. That's not as easy as it sounds. Particularly this aspect I am having a hard time with. Also if you are in physical hurt pulling out of a slouch you may want to see a professional.

I am trying to strengthen the muscles that are weak and stretch the ones that are too strong/tight. But it all starts by knowing your particular issues and then looking for information on those conditions.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Weightlifting has helped my posture immensely.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Ballet and yoga are my two favorites. I also have a back strap that I use while I'm not working out. The better posture I have, the better my bad back is. And I tend to hunch while I paint, so it really helps to keep my back straight.
  • himel13
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and great advice, everyone! I'm not much of a yoga person, but I have started lifting. And hopefully if I keep practicing, my back will get used to being straight again. :)
    :flowerforyou:
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    By the way some lifting may make postural issues worse, such as potentially shoulder press and shrugs.

It's really important to know your postural issues. Some of your muscles will be weaker and some will be stronger pulling you into a slouch. You don't want to train the strong ones or your postural issues will get worse. You need to NOT train the tight/strong muscles pulling you into a slouch, instead stretch those (and foam roll). That way they get looser. Train the weak muscles that will help you pull out of a slouch.

Maybe get a trainer at a gym to help you get started.
  • himel13
    Options
    By the way some lifting may make postural issues worse, such as potentially shoulder press and shrugs.

It's really important to know your postural issues. Some of your muscles will be weaker and some will be stronger pulling you into a slouch. You don't want to train the strong ones or your postural issues will get worse. You need to NOT train the tight/strong muscles pulling you into a slouch, instead stretch those (and foam roll). That way they get looser. Train the weak muscles that will help you pull out of a slouch.

Maybe get a trainer at a gym to help you get started.

Eeek..I don't have a foam roll and gym isn't an option either! I will check out the bodybuilding forum link you shared and see if I can figure out which muscles to work and which not to! Thank you for the advice, much appreciated!