Need help, cutting bf, building muscle

Options
2»

Replies

• PetiteLittleFlower
    PetiteLittleFlower Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how to find out my tdee? I use a fitbit!

The best way to do that is to look at your actual results. This assumes that you log accurately and you activity is pretty consistent. So, for example, you cannot use the last couple of weeks - but take a 4 or 8 week period and see what your weight has done and reverse into your maintenance calories.

I log everything, good and bad. Embarrassing when I have an off day but it has to be done to make me realise!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Have you only just started lifting?

When did you start gaining weight and how much did you gain?

I started almost 2 weeks ago but didn't start stronglifts until mon. I started gaining as soon as I started listing, could it be water?iv been measuring not weighing, have gained inches

Totally. When you start lifting your muscle retain water and glycogen as they repair.

Where have you gained inches?

Around waist and hips. Ok, time to chill and get on with it!! New changes always cause some confusion. Ile keep at it, I can cope with a few extra inches for now. Was just worried I was doing something really wrong which was going to make me keep gaining

Give it at least 4 weeks to stabilize.

What was your weekly weight loss prior to starting lifting? I ask as you do not want much of a deficit at the moment as you are pretty slim.

I was loosing around 1lb per week if not maintaining at 1200kcals. I need to did the right kcals I think which is why I was trying to workout my tdee. I don't want to get any slimmer, it's just fat loss around the tummy to neaten it up abit

So roughly, if you were losing about a lb a week at 1,200 cals, your maintenance would be 1,700. You mention that you are upping your calories.

Edited to ask a further question first - how long have you been at a deficit for?
  • PetiteLittleFlower
    PetiteLittleFlower Posts: 138 Member
    Options

I started almost 2 weeks ago but didn't start stronglifts until mon. I started gaining as soon as I started listing, could it be water?iv been measuring not weighing, have gained inches

Totally. When you start lifting your muscle retain water and glycogen as they repair.

Around waist and hips. Ok, time to chill and get on with it!! New changes always cause some confusion. Ile keep at it, I can cope with a few extra inches for now. Was just worried I was doing something really wrong which was going to make me keep gaining

What was your weekly weight loss prior to starting lifting? I ask as you do not want much of a deficit at the moment as you are pretty slim.

I was loosing around 1lb per week if not maintaining at 1200kcals. I need to did the right kcals I think which is why I was trying to workout my tdee. I don't want to get any slimmer, it's just fat loss around the tummy to neaten it up abit

So roughly, if you were losing about a lb a week at 1,200 cals, your maintenance would be 1,700. You mention that you are upping your calories. I would up by 100 cals a week until you get to 1,600 - 1,700. Sit there for a few of weeks and keep an eye on what your weight is doing. You can tweak up or down depending on results.

ETA: question first - how long have you been at a deficit for?

Hmmm around 23 weeks!! As soon as I had my daughter, with a lot of off days of course. What sorts if foods are best to increase kcals with? I know it's a silly q but that's where I struggle. Without eating ice cream, cakes ect ha I don't know what else to eat.
  • arvigill30
    Options
    LOL I DID TO ! haha
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

So roughly, if you were losing about a lb a week at 1,200 cals, your maintenance would be 1,700. You mention that you are upping your calories. I would up by 100 cals a week until you get to 1,600 - 1,700. Sit there for a few of weeks and keep an eye on what your weight is doing. You can tweak up or down depending on results.

ETA: question first - how long have you been at a deficit for?

Hmmm around 23 weeks!! As soon as I had my daughter, with a lot of off days of course. What sorts if foods are best to increase kcals with? I know it's a silly q but that's where I struggle. Without eating ice cream, cakes ect ha I don't know what else to eat.

I edited my response as I realized that I had not checked how long you had been at a deficit for (relevant to how quickly to up your calories).

I think upping by 100 calories a week should be good. You may want to up by 100, sit there for 2 weeks to let things stabilize, and then up again for 2 weeks, repeat until you get to 1,700 and give it a few more weeks to assess.

It really depends on which macros you are short on. Your diary actually looks pretty good but your fats are low so I would look to include more full fat dairy, nuts and seeds (and nut and seed butter), avocados, add dressings and oils/butters. Nothing wrong with a bowl of ice cream either.

Especially as you are lifting, you may also want to consider upping carbs more- pasta, potatoes, large portions of veggies etc
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Haha I read that in my head as "cutting boyfriend, building muscle." At my job, bf is the abbreviation we use for boyfriend.

I was like, "don't cut your boyfriend!"
    That's what made me read the post!! Glad bf is still alive. If there is one... :)
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how to find out my tdee? I use a fitbit!
    Here you go: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/