Question to the LADIES who have succeeded in weight loss!

Options
Hello Ladies:

I am asking this question to the females bc we all know how easy it is for men to loose weight (more so then women) and to get fit. I am 5'4" and 199 lbs (lost 3 lbs in a 2 weeks) and I am working out for the most part 5-6 a week with cardio 4 days, whether it is walking/jogging or the Elliptical machine. I do lift weight and brake my lifting days as "arm day", "leg day" etc...however, I am NOT seeing a lot of results... I know I have to be patient and so on but I want to know if there is something I might be missing?

I have never been afraid of weight lifting, I actually love it...I would LOVE to get fit (like competition fit) since I do like that type of physique and lifestyle. Should i be cutting some things out of my diet, adding others...increase my weight...do more Cardio?

Help...would love to hear from all of you out there with wisdom in this department.

...and like i have said before...please no sarcasm, smart, mean comments; I have encountered those quite a lot although this is a support site!

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Well, you're not going to see a lot of results in two weeks. Nobody does. Reassess in two months.
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    Ohhh no, I have been working out now for a month...and restricting my calories as well, not just 2 weeks. I guess I need to clarify that!
  • lovetotravel04
    lovetotravel04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    1.5 pounds a week is good, congratulations! If you're into health and possible weight lifting or competition, the magazine Oxygen is awesome. Actually it's great for non-competitive women too, and it's so positive. Good luck!
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 6 months to start to 'see results'.. you need to be in it for the long haul. I am on a month booze ban to see if that helps me... interested to see other comments!
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'd give it at least 8 weeks and reassess. It sounds like you're doing everything right. With the lifting just make sure you're weights are heavy enough that you can't do more than 8-10 reps on an exercise. It will help you maintain muscle mass while you lose weight and after you get closer to your goal you can focus on switching to bulking to grow those muscles bigger :)
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    It typically takes 8 weeks to see results. a month, you have probably lost inches. did you happen to take your measurements????

Also, from looking at your diary, you are eating very well, but perhaps you should actually cut down the calorie intake right now. I would dry 1350 or 1400 opposed to 1955. Then if you need to, you can either eat back your exercise calories or a portion of them. When I started my weight loss, I was on 1200 calories a day and eating back no more then 75% of my exercise calories. Now I am pretty much maintaining and I am on 1750 cals a day, and for me, that is more than enough.

Each person is different and each thing that works is different for everyone.

Good luck!
  • taylan14
    taylan14 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For me - "weight loss" has never been about the exercise, (the lifting, the toning, cardio, running, etc.) I do ALL of that - and firmly believe that what helped the LOSS was the calorie deficit! All of the exercise is great as well - but calorie deficit is for weight LOSS.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Do you have a regular routine with weight lifting? Do you follow a program? When I was weight lifting on my own, I was not seeing results until I started a strength training program. Also, you may have mentioned this and I apologize if you did, but how many days a week do you lift weights?
  • MLeigh18
    MLeigh18 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could try "weight lifting cardio" instead. Instead of doing "arm day" then "leg day". try doing a total body weight lifting routine, like barbell thrusters and burpees- google it if you're not familiar with these terms.

I noticed significant results in about a month after switching from the typical 3-4 days pure cardio and 2-3 days of alternating "arm day"/ "leg day".

An example workout that I do: 3 rounds, first set of 21 thrusters with a 65 pound barbell then 21 burpees, then 15 thrusters/15 burpees, then 9 thrusters and 9 burpees. Do it as fast as you can with NO resting whatsoever until you've finished.

Then once I'm done with that I'll jog a mile for a cool down.

Then I'll switch it up to something like this: 50 jump ropes, 50 sit ups, 40 jump ropes, 40 sit ups, etc. 50-40-30-20-10. Again, as fast as possible with no resting until you've finished your set.

Then I jog another mile for a cool down and I'm done for the day. Some days I'll stick around and work on lifting techniques like back squats or deadlifts, but not always.

Yes, people will look at you funny in the gym at first, but once they see how quickly you're getting results, they'll start looking for other reasons.

I use this 21-15-9 set for several different movements, you can really do any movement with this set. And you can do literally ANY body weight movement with 50-40-30-20-10. I wouldn't do it with heavy weights because that's asking for Rhabdo, but really, anything from push ups, pull ups, burpees, squats, lunges, sit ups, crunches, dips, legs raises, plank/side plank (hold for 50 secs, etc), jumping jacks, jump rope, high knees, star jumps, scoop push ups, spider push ups, Indian push ups (this is where you're in down dog position and do a push up without breaking form). The list goes on and on for body weight movements.

Hope this helps.
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    See and it is interesting someone mentioned to cut back on calories but when I was taking in 1200 some ppl said to increase them since I was barely getting all of the 1200 so I went to 1500 and that might be too much for me! I will reassess in a couple of weeks!
  • erikasmith2013
    Options
    Yes...all of this advice helps a lot...I will be trying another routine to maybe wake my body up and lift heavy to see if that will do it! Thanks Ladies.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I know right now I might not be the face of fit but I was 2 years ago I went from 170 to 117 in about half a year, I did not count calories I just ate alot of protein and fiber cut all the fast food out.

For my workouts it was running for 1 hour and then 30 day shred. I would lose about 8-7# a month at first and then about 4# a month. I also read every book in my library about health and fitness, I found 1 that talked about our individual hormones and body types and what to eat and how to exercise it was a big eye opener. I think you should get a good book and take advice from there and see if it works for you.

Now that I am back in this game I am happy to lose slowly but SEE results quickly. If your feeling and looking better why give the scale much importance, I guess we learn from our mistakes. Dont stress it thats worse!

good luck girl! been there done that!
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    When i first started, it took me close to a year to lose 20lbs ( I had difficulty altering my habits). I saw the most effective weight loss by increasing my gym time and cutting out booze. In the last month before I reached my goal weight, I was fortunate enough to have the time and had built up the endurance, so I was running for 30-40 minutes and doing about an hour of weight machines 6 days a week. As far as cutting out the drinking, I used to be a heavy drinker, so even going out 2 nights a week would set me back significantly. Those changes in addition to a clean diet were key for me.
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Girl I owuld love to get competition fit too... a couple years back.. I was really into it.. and I put about 4 hours a day into working out... I still had a long ways to go. I had an old school friend get competition fit... she spent 6 hours a day working on herself... Her and her husband had the means to invest in a personal trainer.. and fly and meet several famous people who do com[petitions... She was smoking hot... but it is a big investment.. if you are going to do.. you have to be prepared to put yourself forth and put the effort in or you will just be discouraged! But anyone can do it..ANYONE who wants to work that hard at being that fit!
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Once ou get that fit.. It much easier to maintain.. the work is getting there.. it is a life change most of us are not willing to do.. it takes more than months.. it takes a year or twoor more... depending on your fitness level now! (that me saying that.. but we both had families and I have a full time job.. so every extra hour was working on myself and my old school friend had her own bueaty shop; and was able to get away for a year to finish getting to her comp;etition weight and goals!) I unfortuantely had to go back to work everyday.. and honestly eventually just got out of trying as hard!