Weight loss and hair loss?

Options
Hey...
Was wondering if anyone else has had this issue while losing weight. I never had the thickest locks but the amount of hair I am losing is ridiculous. It started when my weight loss reached 5 kgs and since then I have consistently being losing weight. Initially wasn't too bothered about supplements n vits but since over a week have been taking those Vit E tabs, and vits for skin hair and nails (SkinVits I think its called) and Centrum. Really freaking out. I have read it does happen with women who lose a lot of weight but am hoping at some level it stops and starts to replenish. Its been falling out since April this year, and prospects look quite scary :(

Replies

• VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Often caused by too few calories/too little protein. Open up your diary for more specific advice.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private, but I reckon it's a signal that you're not eating enough every day. If you're sure you ARE eating enough you need to see a doctor.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing!
    I think it is due to my lack of protein
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It's happened to me, too. I'm trying to make sure I get enough healthy fats and proteins. Also tweaking my hair routine to not make matters worse by over processing... but I'm not prepared to let my gray show, either! I also noticed that the hair loss really accelerated when I stopped taking my vitamins for about 3 weeks...for no good reason. So keep taking yours!!!
  • toomanycats75
    Options
    This can be due to lack of protein and/or iron and a number of hormonal issues including PCOS. I would definitely re-evaluate the amount of protein I was eating and get some bloodwork from my Dr.
  • PBlilacs
    PBlilacs Posts: 23
    Options
    About three years ago I lost 25 pounds FAST! A lot of things and stress going on in my life and my hunger and sleeping just went away. Loved the weight loss- until I started seeing the side effects. My hair and skin reacted like crazy! I remember standing in front of the mirror watching clumps fall out, it was awful. I stopped all dieting and most exercising for about a year and a half and just concentrated on being healthy- foods and rest. Yes I gained back a few extra pounds and that is why I am here now losing them the SMART way. Yes my hair is growing back but the most important thing is I am now Healthy even with a few extra pounds. So please please slow down, regroup and take care of yourself. A great supplement that I found for me in addition to my womens multivitamin is GNC Hair Nails and Skin program. Love it! Good Luck!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth seeing a doctor. There are some completely benign reasons hair thins out, but there are also a good number that could be important. See the doctor to sort out which it is.
  • hannahchiarella
    hannahchiarella Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This also started to happen to me. I reckon the people above who state lack of protein are most likely correct as with me it started when i became vegetarian. I've had to make sure i get enough protein from other sources.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    It is a sign that your body isn't being properly nourished. While I think many people on here don't get adequate protein, I do believe that hair loss is actually usually a problem of not getting enough healthy fats and too few calories in general.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Inadequate nutrition is one of the most common causes. Check your diet for adequate fat intake. (Fats are especially important for healthy hair and nails.)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I had this problem last year as well. I started eating more whole foods, less processed and added a Biotin supplement. Hair and nails are much stronger.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It can be from nutrient deficiency but it is also common when losing weight when changing your diet. If you were eating a lot of junk before and now you cut it all off your body kinda goes through withdrawals from interrupting your pleasure/reward hormone routine. Temporary hair loss can be one of those symptoms and should recover once you balance out.
  • TheSlinkyMinky
    Options
    I lost quite a bit of weight years ago and lost half of my hair along with it due to anemia. I would recommend having your doctor check your iron levels to make sure. Do you bruise easily now? Another sign of low iron levels. If your started taking supplements with enough iron, just remember that it could take a month or more after your iron levels are back to normal before the hair will stop falling out.
  • Sarahrahi
    Sarahrahi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input.....really appreciate you taking time to give ur advice. I had all my blood work done a few weeks ago so blood count, thyroids seems to be in order. I have had similar experiences in the past as well, where weight loss has coincided with hair loss. However, this time the weight is staying off therefore, the hair loss is persistent too. I should have started the supplements earlier. I will just stick to them religiously and hope for the best. Also another similar thread showed a lot people started losing hair but it normalized after 6-8 months of when they made the change to eat healthier and work out. So maybe I should be hitting reprieve soon. Thanks a bunch. I have started to make a conscious effort to take more proteins. Fingers crossed! :) Thanks again
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It can be from nutrient deficiency but it is also common when losing weight when changing your diet. If you were eating a lot of junk before and now you cut it all off your body kinda goes through withdrawals from interrupting your pleasure/reward hormone routine. Temporary hair loss can be one of those symptoms and should recover once you balance out.

The only people that I have seen that have suffered hair loss from dieting are those who are too restrictive with their macronutrients and calorie level.
  • brayman1701
    brayman1701 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've also known people that lost a lot of their hair when they lost weight but it was because they were eating such crap before that their hair was being replaced by much healthier thicker hair.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    If your intake isn't enough for you, it makes sense you would lose hair. Up your calories, maybe just go up to maintenance for a few weeks and see how your body balances out.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Could be related to lacking nutrition or completely unrelated. Hair loss can occur because of season change or a fungal infection on the scalp, or even hormonal imbalances.
  • Rosamia41
    Rosamia41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is happening because you are not eating enough. When the body doesn't have enough nutrients this happens. Be careful and good luck.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I did not lose much weight at all, and did not go on a low calorie diet. I was eating at maintenance and above, with good amounts of protein for my body weight. My weight was low, but not underweight and was the same weight I've always been (actually even higher than it has been at other times). The only new thing was that I was lifting weights.

But, I experienced stress related hair loss.

So, just to be on the safe side I took silica for 6 months. I stopped for two months. In 2 months from now I will be facing the stressor again (that caused the hair loss), so I decided to take it again until then as a precaution (but not everyday). My hair did grow back in, very thick and healthy in a large quantity. However, I am sure that my hair would have grown back in, even if I had not taken the silica. So, I do not know or think it really helps that much. I also started taking a multivitamin, increased my iron under doctor supervision (I was not anemic), and took biotin and other b vitamins (in my multi). So, these were other factors that were present. All of this was precautionary. It was clearly established by my doctor that the hair loss was stress related (it was a very serious type of stress). I had other issues from the stress. And all my blood work was healthy and normal.

I have learned how to manage my stress better. And I am being gentle with and taking good care of my hair and seeing a hair dresser every 6-7 weeks. She was the one that told me to try silica. I figured it was worth a try.