Can you live healthily without eating real food

Options
2»

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    if you feel good then i don't see a problem - just make sure you get enough fibre (veggies with your dinner/bit of fruit etc) maybe a multivitamin incase you're missing out on nutrients.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It is wrong. Timing of meals has no effect on the metabolisation/storage. Your body works over hours, not minutes so the food you eat now is not used or finally stored. But you might feel uncomfortable/windy as your digestive system will be trying to digest as you are trying to sleep :(

I had a great uncle who loved for 30+ years on meal replacement drinks plus a tot of whisky at bedtime - most of his stomach had gone due to cancer. So it is possible.

So (and I teach elite junior rugby boys and girls, so I appreciate the pressure on you to regain fitness levele, especially cardio, pre-season) I would say that for you, at this time, it should be fine. But as soon as you can you will need to change and start eating more reasonably. Apart from anything else it would be good not to set up any habits you might become unreasonably attached to. That and I would worry about your colon, constipation etc.

Basically, do it for pre-season if you must, but as soon as season starts and you cannot fit in so many cardio sessions, start building in better meal times.

And good luck with the free fall :)
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    thCA1NXUJ7_zpsdd88f07c.jpg
  • tonyb111111
    Options
    [/quote]

Cardio is great to create a larger calorie deficit, but adding strength training could help with training for rugby season. However, it sounds like you have a plan for after the jump, so cool. :smile:

Just get below that 18 stone marker, do the jump, then the resistance training can start with vengeance

As far as increase fat production by eating close to bedtime? False. Meal timing etc. does not matter at all in this game, it is preference. I understand about not wanting to eat before a workout, but there is no reason to not eat before bed. :smile:

I did not appreciate this, so may have to review current meals

Edited to fix my fumble fingers.
    [/quote]
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Cook extra on non-gym days, eat leftovers on gym days.

I agree...just cook extra and freeze it or put it in the fridge...it will save you time!
  • tonyb111111
    Options
    It is wrong. Timing of meals has no effect on the metabolisation/storage. Your body works over hours, not minutes so the food you eat now is not used or finally stored. But you might feel uncomfortable/windy as your digestive system will be trying to digest as you are trying to sleep :(

No change there then :laugh:

I had a great uncle who loved for 30+ years on meal replacement drinks plus a tot of whisky at bedtime - most of his stomach had gone due to cancer. So it is possible.

So (and I teach elite junior rugby boys and girls, so I appreciate the pressure on you to regain fitness levele, especially cardio, pre-season) I would say that for you, at this time, it should be fine. But as soon as you can you will need to change and start eating more reasonably. Apart from anything else it would be good not to set up any habits you might become unreasonably attached to. That and I would worry about your colon, constipation etc.

Basically, do it for pre-season if you must, but as soon as season starts and you cannot fit in so many cardio sessions, start building in better meal times.

Thanks for this, thi sis good advice

And good luck with the free fall :)
  • missjeevious
    missjeevious Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    hey tony- this is from the Mayo Clinic:
    Supplements vs. whole foods

Supplements aren't intended to be a food substitute because they can't replicate all of the nutrients and benefits of whole foods, such as fruits and vegetables. So depending on your situation and your eating habits, dietary supplements may not be worth the expense.

Whole foods offer three main benefits over dietary supplements:
    Greater nutrition. Whole foods are complex, containing a variety of the micronutrients your body needs — not just one. An orange, for example, provides vitamin C plus some beta carotene, calcium and other nutrients. A vitamin C supplement lacks these other micronutrients.
    Essential fiber. Whole foods, such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables and legumes, provide dietary fiber. Most high-fiber foods are also packed with other essential nutrients. Fiber, as part of a healthy diet, can help prevent certain diseases, such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease, and it can also help manage constipation.
    Protective substances. Whole foods contain other substances important for good health. Fruits and vegetables, for example, contain naturally occurring substances called phytochemicals, which may help protect you against cancer, heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure. Many are also good sources of antioxidants — substances that slow down oxidation, a natural process that leads to cell and tissue damage.