IIFYM Help... (sorry, I'm a newbie)

Options
Hi everyone!

So I just calculated my TDEE with IIFYM.com and did the 20% Fat Loss Reduction. myfitnesspal had me eating 1200 calories to begin with, and I felt lightheaded and was getting migraine headaches everyday while following that calorie goal. Yesterday was my first day of following my 1700 cal IIFYM goal, and I'm just wondering... If I follow it by eating whole nutrient dense foods that "fit" in the fat, carbs, protein, fiber guidelines, will I really lose weight? I am exercising 4-5x per week for 50+ mins. I am NOT eating back the calories burned from exercise. I just wanted to be sure IIFYM promising. I definitely feel like it's a more flexible approach for a healthful diet. Any tips for a newbie? I went over my carb intake the first day by 30 g, but was under for fat and protein, and calories.
Thanks in advance, and sorry for any annoyance. I know there's been a lot of posts about this topic I just would like extra clarification! :)

-Julia

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Best IIFYM post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

Yes, it works because it focuses on proper nutrient intake and energy balance.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you hit your calorie goal you'll lose weight. Macros are for body composition.

Think of protein and fats as minimums.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you did all the calculations correctly and weigh and measure all your food, then 1700 sounds fine for losing weight!

i am an IIFYM girl, it works for me!
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    Thank you ALL SO much for the reassurance! :happy:
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    If you hit your calorie goal you'll lose weight. Macros are for body composition.

Tihs. I regularly lose on 1800 and it doesn't really matter HOW I split my calories for weight loss but I do find when I'm at or over my protein I feel more satisfied. I also notice I tend to be snackier when I'm over on carbs and lower on fats. Try and keep as good a balance as you can to avoid hunger but my guess is that from 1200 calories you should have no trouble with hunger from here on out.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    IF/IIFYM for life!
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    highervibes:

Thanks! It makes a lot of sense what you've said about protein keeping you more satisfied. I feel the same way. I think I went over on my carbs because I ate 1 serving too much fruit. It adds up! I am definitely getting a better "feel" for how to divide things up today. Even my workout was better this morning because I had more energy! Much appreciated!
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    So motivating! Thank you:D
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    So motivating! Thank you tmpecus78! **
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    What a relief to know I'll still lose... Thank you, TavistockToad :)!
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    Best IIFYM post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

Yes, it works because it focuses on proper nutrient intake and energy balance.

Thanks! Great source of info! :)
  • juliakessel7
    Options

Sums things up. Thank you :)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    It got me out of a plateau! Now, I'm losing again.

I supplement with whey protein to help meet my protein macro, especially either before or after a hard workout to help my muscles recover as well. Also, be sure to get plenty of fiber.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is definitely the way to go because it is more achievable as a lifestyle change (IMHO)!

Do a little research about your fruits, find the ones that are slightly lower in sugars if you think this is really what took you over your carb intake. Realistically, fruit carbs aren't bad for you when in moderation, it's the high processed carbs that can cause issues.

Remember to drink your water, and stay hydrated... I have found that to be another key component! I definitely can tell when I do not drink enough water, and the scale and my clothing tells me as well.

Another key thing to watch is your sodium intake... it is easy to go over, and that will cause water retention.

Congrats and best of luck!
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    It got me out of a plateau! Now, I'm losing again.

I supplement with whey protein to help meet my protein macro, especially either before or after a hard workout to help my muscles recover as well. Also, be sure to get plenty of fiber.

That's awesome that you got over your plateau with IIFYM! Great job! On the fiber part, the goal is set to 32 g. Do you ever go over your fiber goal? Thanks!
  • juliakessel7
    Options
    IIFYM is definitely the way to go because it is more achievable as a lifestyle change (IMHO)!

Do a little research about your fruits, find the ones that are slightly lower in sugars if you think this is really what took you over your carb intake. Realistically, fruit carbs aren't bad for you when in moderation, it's the high processed carbs that can cause issues.

Remember to drink your water, and stay hydrated... I have found that to be another key component! I definitely can tell when I do not drink enough water, and the scale and my clothing tells me as well.

Another key thing to watch is your sodium intake... it is easy to go over, and that will cause water retention.

Congrats and best of luck!

I agree! Making a lifestyle change is definitely more effective in the long run than really restrictive diets. I have run into this problem one too many times and now I am realizing that IIFYM is a great tool for my lifestyle. Thank you for the info about sodium, too!
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    if you did all the calculations correctly and weigh and measure all your food, then 1700 sounds fine for losing weight!

Yup this! I LOVE LOVE LOVE IIFYM. I go there every two weeks and update my stats and cals to make sure I am on track! Eating more helps - not eating back the calories is total freaking ok. no matter what some of the people here say, you do not have to eat back the calories.

Good luck!
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    So motivating! Thank you tmpecus78! **

Trust me when I say, you will enjoy it. I know of a lot of people who were skeptical at first, but once they tried it fell in love with it. You have so much more freedom.
  • juliakessel7
    Options

Yup this! I LOVE LOVE LOVE IIFYM. I go there every two weeks and update my stats and cals to make sure I am on track! Eating more helps - not eating back the calories is total freaking ok. no matter what some of the people here say, you do not have to eat back the calories.

Good luck!

Thank you for your enthusiasm!! :D glad to hear you're having a lot of success with IIFYM!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    sounds like your doing it right!

you only have less than 20 pounds to lose. you might want to even think about setting it to 10%