Need Help :) lol

Options
sck2008
sck2008 Posts: 79
Hey everyone!

Growing up my mom usually made the same things over and over ans she never really got into cooking meals. Well hubby and I are both losing weight and need help. Its only Me, him, and our 5 year old daughter. I need recipies for healthy, quick weekday meals!! HELP!!! :) I tried looking on food network but all their recipies have too many ingrediants and take too much time lol

Replies

• vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Food Network is a fun TV station, but HORRIBLE when it comes to trying to find easy, healthy recipes. Here's a few others to get you started:

http://fooddoodles.com/

http://www.lifestylematters.com/

http://www.ohsheglows.com/

http://www.theyummylife.com/

http://www.emilybites.com

http://www.yummly.com/
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My favorite quick meals (that my kids like, too):

Grilled sirloin with a sweet potato and broccoli

High protein pasta with homemade meatballs and tomato sauce (I make turkey meatballs using a recipe from Skinnytaste)

Stir fry (sliced steak or chicken), a bag of frozen stir fry veggies and sauce of choice - serve with rice if you like

Taco salad (brown lean ground turkey, add salsa of choice and chili beans if you want to stretch it/bulk the fiber), serve over lettuce with diced tomatoes, a little low fat cheese and some crumbled tortilla chips (my kids eat the filling with chips and salad on the side)

Lots of crockpot meals - pork loin or tenderloin with bbq sauce served with homemade lowfat coleslaw, chicken breasts cooked in salsa with black beans and corn, etc.

I just keep it simple so I can get it on the table and (try to) hit my macros.

Edited to add: try skinnytaste.com - she has awesome recipes and not usually too many ingredients
  • sck2008
    Options
    Awesome!! Thank you so much!
  • sck2008
    Options
    Great ideas. I appreiciate it!
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Boneless chicken breast, ground turkey, and shrimp is a busy cook's best friend. They can be cooked and seasoned in a multitude of ways and be paired with your favorite veggies. Since they are quick cooking proteins a delicous meal can me made start to finish in 15 to 20 minutes or less if you work efficiently in the kitchen.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    My favorite quick meals (that my kids like, too):

Grilled sirloin with a sweet potato and broccoli

High protein pasta with homemade meatballs and tomato sauce (I make turkey meatballs using a recipe from Skinnytaste)

Stir fry (sliced steak or chicken), a bag of frozen stir fry veggies and sauce of choice - serve with rice if you like

Taco salad (brown lean ground turkey, add salsa of choice and chili beans if you want to stretch it/bulk the fiber), serve over lettuce with diced tomatoes, a little low fat cheese and some crumbled tortilla chips (my kids eat the filling with chips and salad on the side)

Lots of crockpot meals - pork loin or tenderloin with bbq sauce served with homemade lowfat coleslaw, chicken breasts cooked in salsa with black beans and corn, etc.

I just keep it simple so I can get it on the table and (try to) hit my macros.

Edited to add: try skinnytaste.com - she has awesome recipes and not usually too many ingredients

These are our favorites, too. We also like fish, poultry & other lean meats with salad or broccoli and sweet potatoes. We're having some trouble getting our tacos done without high sodium content but we're working on it. DH had a stroke and has to be vigilant about keeping his sodium down. In season, we substitute corn on the cob for the sweet potatoes.
  • justmejustina
    justmejustina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com i'm telling you some of the best food. Everything I have made I have loved and everyone in my house as well. I am not a cook either.....I have to follow recipes to the T. LOL
  • ygglove
    ygglove Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com i'm telling you some of the best food. Everything I have made I have loved and everyone in my house as well. I am not a cook either.....I have to follow recipes to the T. LOL

This ^^^ - I got a lot of my healthy recipes from there and love it. For instance their Chicken Rollatini, it's sooo goood -and it's not hard to make at all- especially after the first time you've made it. I eat pretty much anything with Zucchini in it, and they have several zucchini recipes. The best part is, they break it down for you and tell you how many calories each item is (:
  • wlaura88
    wlaura88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite quick healthy recipes:

Vegetarian Black Bean Chili

(184 cals/cup)

-1 chopped green pepper
    -1 chopped Anaheim or poblano pepper
    -1 1 chopped white onion
    -light cooking spray (I use Smart Balance 0-calorie and fat)
    -3 garlic cloves, minced (or you can just use garlic powder)
    -1 can of diced tomatoes with green chiles
    -2 cans of low-sodium black beans
    -Chili powder
    -Cumin
    -Crushed red pepper
    Cilantro

Chop up veggies and garlic and sautee them in pot with a bit of cooking spray.
    Add can of diced tomatoes (undrained) to pot and stir.
    Drain and rinse beans and add beans and spices (really however much you want, I don't usually measure because I'm lazy :) to pot and stir.
    Let simmer for 5-10 minutes.
    Eat!

FlatOut Pizzas
    (195 per pizza - depending on toppings)

-FlatOut (I use Multigrain with Flax See)
    -1/4 cup of pizza sauce
    -Whatever toppings (mostly I just use some kind of bell pepper)
    -1 serving of cheese of your choice (I use 1 oz of feta cheese because I love it and have realized that the more flavorful the cheese, the less you have to use)

Top FlatOut with pizza sauce, then toppings, then cheese. Bake on a cookie sheet in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes.

Another one of our quick favorites are salmon burgers made on our George Forman grill. You can usually find them in the frozen seafood section at your grocery store. Sometimes we pair them with spicy baked sweet potato fries, sometimes veggies.

My favorite places to find recipes are skinnytaste.com and undressedskeleton.tumblr.com